• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

On matters of watch accuracy

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
So, I managed to regulate the Noob Daytona about 2 months ago. I suspected it ran -1 to -2 s/d on the wrist. I set it to accurate time 2/1 and as of 2/11 it is 22 s slow. So as of now it runs -2s/d.

A watch running +/-1s/d equals accuracy of +/- 12ppm. (parts per million). So my fake mechanical movement is at this time within +/- 24ppm. After I regulated it, of course!!

Pretty much all the electronics which run communications are driven off quartz crystals which are specified at +/- 100ppm accuracy. That would equate to about +/-8s/d

So, in theory a member should not complain if watch is within +/-8s/d. Of course, I dont care about these calculations, I will continue to complain.

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
Reps with +/- 10 sec/day performance are acceptable to me. I think most of the clone movements, even the A2813, can be regulated to that tolerance. If it cannot keep good time, then it likely requires a service. However, I don't expect any rep with a clone movement to do +/- 1sec/day. It is not impossible, just highly unlikely given the cheaply made parts used in the movement. There are, of course, the rare (hen's teeth) odd ball out there that ticks nearly as well as a Caliber 3235.

sketchAG

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/1/19
Canada, eh
If a watch is 99.9% accurate it would still be off by a minute and a half (90 seconds) per 24hr!

A typical, non-certified, modern watch is about +/- 5 seconds a day, certified is about +/- 3 seconds.

Anything under 10 seconds, to me, would be acceptable. A +/- 7 or 8 is really good, and as the OP have said, definitely nothing to complain about.
We dont buy a mechanical for its accuracy, more for the aesthetic.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
For an ETA 2824-2:

COSC certified -4 / +6 s/d

Top grade non certified +/- 10 s/d

Elabore grade -/+ 20 s/d

DJTonesNY

Horology Curious
21/12/18
I just received my Cartier Roadster from a TD and it gains 5min every hour. Definitely unacceptable in my opinion and I’m constantly resetting the time throughout the day. I feel like they should make this right but I’m skeptical about sending it back to China. Is this something I should look into having fixed locally instead?

Drr80

Renowned Member
12/2/18
El paso, TX
I just received my Cartier Roadster from a TD and it gains 5min every hour. Definitely unacceptable in my opinion and I’m constantly resetting the time throughout the day. I feel like they should make this right but I’m skeptical about sending it back to China. Is this something I should look into having fixed locally instead?
Its probably just magnetized. Those cheap ebay blue demagnitizer will solve your problem.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
DJTonesNY Easiest way for you to see if it is magnetized is to use a compass. If you have one of them cheap "map" compasses with long thin needles, put it on the table and touch it with the watch at different positions and angles. If needle moves, needle watch is magnetized. As a reference, the rep I wear now moves my compass needle by about 5 degrees in one position and is consistently -2s/d.

If magnetized get the demagnitizer, or get one anyways. Be sure to use a compass which is "sensitive" and a long thin needle should be more sensitive than a short fat needle.

+5min per hour is +7200s/d is excessively bad performance. It indicates a FUBAR product which cannot be regulated. What did your QC timegrapher results show? Ask your TD for resolution after you have confirmed that watch is not magnetized. He will most probably say "ship it back for repairs" and it is your call to ship it or try to get it fixed locally.

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
Any competent watch service tech can de-magnetize your watch and adjust beat error. Don't send watch back to China, because you may never see it again.

DJTonesNY

Horology Curious
21/12/18
DJTonesNY Easiest way for you to see if it is magnetized is to use a compass. If you have one of them cheap "map" compasses with long thin needles, put it on the table and touch it with the watch at different positions and angles. If needle moves, needle watch is magnetized. As a reference, the rep I wear now moves my compass needle by about 5 degrees in one position and is consistently -2s/d.

If magnetized get the demagnitizer, or get one anyways. Be sure to use a compass which is "sensitive" and a long thin needle should be more sensitive than a short fat needle.

+5min per hour is +7200s/d is excessively bad performance. It indicates a FUBAR product which cannot be regulated. What did your QC timegrapher results show? Ask your TD for resolution after you have confirmed that watch is not magnetized. He will most probably say "ship it back for repairs" and it is your call to ship it or try to get it fixed locally.

Great advice, thanks. Timegrapher shows +9s/d so it is probably magnetized. Gonna grab a demag device on Amazon right now