• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What's the right thing to do here?

xray7

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
1/4/18
Old Dart
Jackster For future reference - Having lived in Australia (Melbourne and Canberra), I refused to use DHL in or outbound unless I had to (only when I needed to serve docs overseas pretty much on the next flight did they have a service I used... I had to attend one of a handful of metro post offices by a certain time so they could pre-alert the driver to pick up for a straight run to Tullamarine). Do NOT get your reps via DHL - DHL's clearance procedures are subcontracted directly to ABF.

Any, and I do mean ANY, courier is better when it comes to non-doc shipments.

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
Jackster For future reference - Having lived in Australia (Melbourne and Canberra), I refused to use DHL in or outbound unless I had to (only when I needed to serve docs overseas pretty much on the next flight did they have a service I used... I had to attend one of a handful of metro post offices by a certain time so they could pre-alert the driver to pick up for a straight run to Tullamarine). Do NOT get your reps via DHL - DHL's clearance procedures are subcontracted directly to ABF.

Any, and I do mean ANY, courier is better when it comes to non-doc shipments.

I had no say into who was the courier in Germany, I sent Aus Post, when it got to Germany, German Post (Deutschl Post) use DHL by default for their parcel delivery as I understand it??

xray7

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
1/4/18
Old Dart
I had no say into who was the courier in Germany, I sent Aus Post, when it got to Germany, German Post (Deutschl Post) use DHL by default for their parcel delivery as I understand it??

You correctly surmised that DHL, being the German domestic postal service (which, of course, being German, has turned itself into a global logistics empire) took over from AusPost - so yeah, that makes sense.

Had thought you may have sent directly via DHL. My commerntary on DHL as a bad direct service in or out of AU does stand, though.

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
You correctly surmised that DHL, being the German domestic postal service (which, of course, being German, has turned itself into a global logistics empire) took over from AusPost - so yeah, that makes sense.

Had thought you may have sent directly via DHL. My commerntary on DHL as a bad direct service in or out of AU does stand, though.

Duly noted, thanks!

Rickjames111

5/9/17
St Louis, Mo
Here is something that I practice just as good principal. I do not spend any money I can’t afford to return until the deal has been finalized. If I can’t afford to refund someone $160 in the event that something goes wrong on my end, I don’t spend the money. That is not being a responsible seller in my opinion.

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
Here is something that I practice just as good principal. I do not spend any money I can’t afford to return until the deal has been finalized. If I can’t afford to refund someone $160 in the event that something goes wrong on my end, I don’t spend the money. That is not being a responsible seller in my opinion.

I think that is a very good point, during the postage stage I made a very large PP purchase that wiped out all my fund, now I’m sure I could have raised the $160 if necessary. But it does lead to another question...

What if I had been selling a Franken that was worth around $3000, i’ve Stated in my sales thread that I can post WW but postage/customs issues are the responsibility of the buyer. The parcel gets lost or seized and of course the purchaser is very unhappy. How is this situation resolved? The sender has money and no watch (which is what he wants) the buyer has no money and no watch (very pissed!) Suugestions on a post card please??

Rickjames111

5/9/17
St Louis, Mo
I personally do not agree with paying friends and family. I think it should be a forum rule that all sales are as goods and services and if the seller needs to include fees, they should do so. There is a reason that PayPal is set up that way. When you buy a watch from somebody on the other side of the earth, you aren’t sending your friends or family money. This protects both the buyer and the seller in the event that things go south

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
I personally do not agree with paying friends and family. I think it should be a forum rule that all sales are as goods and services and if the seller needs to include fees, they should do so. There is a reason that PayPal is set up that way. When you buy a watch from somebody on the other side of the earth, you aren’t sending your friends or family money. This protects both the buyer and the seller in the event that things go south

I kind of agree on that, it would be safer, however on expensive purchases the fees can be horrendously high. I just sold a watch through PP and got a $40 fee, which was quite a shock on a fairly cheap watch!

Incidentally, soon I will be purchasing an expensive watch from US (i'm in Australia) what is the safest way to protect myself from loss? Declare it as a genuine watch and insure it? But does this raise customs/tax issues? Or send it as a cheap, low value fashion watch which is what I normally do., but of course it isn't insured. Anyone care to chime in on this?

Rickjames111

5/9/17
St Louis, Mo
You won’t think those fees are high the first time you get someone out to scam you or sends you something that is not as described. We wouldn’t have half the problems recovering funds lost to scammers had the correct method of payment been used.

as far as international shipping, I am far from an expert and have no idea as to the best method. I have purchased goods from overseas but have never shipped anything. Packages I receive from China rarely have the correct contents marked. I have received s watch from another member marked as replacement watch parts and supposedly was insured for the replacement value.

There may be something in the sales stickies that deals with this. That is where I would start or ask members specifically in your country.

Reactions: Jackster

Seamaster3459

28/11/18
Jackster , the watch I purchased from you actually had a similar issue. Nothing to do with you, but the USPS (US postal courier) said “there was no address for delivery, so we didn’t know where to send it.” Luckily, I called the post office when it had been sitting for a day at an office other than my usual one (the one in my neighborhood). I went to that office to pick it up, and the address and name was listed clearly on the customs declaration as well as the package. Pure incompetence on the postal service’s side. They told me they would have returned to sender because they didn’t have my phone #.

Happy ending, though! I’m actually wearing the watch now, so thanks for a smooth transaction and being a trustworthy seller!