• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What's the right thing to do here?

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
Hello all,

I just want to put this out there and get some feed back, I recently sold 2 cheap DH Gate subs to a new forum member here who resides in Germany (i'm in Australia). He bought, I sent. It took ages for the watches to get to Germany but they eventually did and there was an attempt to deliver the parcel to the purchasers home. Unfortunately the buyer was out and so the parcel went back to the sorting office. I have exhaustively tried this end with the Post Office to get to the bottom of the non-delivery but to no satisfaction. The purchaser is understandably & obviously upset that he has paid for something that he has not received. Now, he has informed me that German Post is more than likely returning the parcel back to me. Of course I'm happy to re-send it and try again if I receive it.
BUT... what if it doesn't arrive back to me? I have no money in my PP account to repay him, i've just made a massive purchase, and of course I don't have the watches either!

I think it is well understood on the forum that once a watch is sent then postage/customs issues are on the purchaser but I would be interested in any feed back from forum members and mods alike as to (as the title suggests) what is the right thing to do here?

Mike116

I'm Pretty Popular
20/11/12
Back of beyond
If its tracked then they leave a card to arrange pick-up. Personaly i get a phone number from a buyer and attach to the customs declaration so they can ring if no ones home

Reactions: Taz71

Cicero

RWI Legal Advisor
Global Moderator
Certified
12/3/15
Hello all,

I just want to put this out there and get some feed back, I recently sold 2 cheap DH Gate subs to a new forum member here who resides in Germany (i'm in Australia). He bought, I sent. It took ages for the watches to get to Germany but they eventually did and there was an attempt to deliver the parcel to the purchasers home. Unfortunately the buyer was out and so the parcel went back to the sorting office. I have exhaustively tried this end with the Post Office to get to the bottom of the non-delivery but to no satisfaction. The purchaser is understandably & obviously upset that he has paid for something that he has not received. Now, he has informed me that German Post is more than likely returning the parcel back to me. Of course I'm happy to re-send it and try again if I receive it.
BUT... what if it doesn't arrive back to me? I have no money in my PP account to repay him, i've just made a massive purchase, and of course I don't have the watches either!

I think it is well understood on the forum that once a watch is sent then postage/customs issues are on the purchaser but I would be interested in any feed back from forum members and mods alike as to (as the title suggests) what is the right thing to do here?

Do you have a sales thread?

Cicero

RWI Legal Advisor
Global Moderator
Certified
12/3/15

The pictures are down. They need to remain for 3 months after the sale.

To answer your question, there is a gentleman’s agreement that buyer and seller work together to resolve any issues through delivery . It sounds like you are doing that. The fact that you mailed the package doesn’t mean your obligations to the buyer are over. You probably can’t think of any other internet transaction where all the seller has to do is prove they sent the package. Typically, delivery has to be confirmed. Our hobby is a little different than the normal transaction. Continue to work with the postal service to get the package delivered. The buyer will just have to be patient throughout the process. If eventually the package is determined to be lost you and seller can discuss possibly splitting the loss. In any event, as we all know, this hobby requires great patience. Tell the buyer to be patient. You are both just going to have to wait this out.

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
The pictures are down. They need to remain for 3 months after the sale.

To answer your question, there is a gentleman’s agreement that buyer and seller work together to resolve any issues through delivery . It sounds like you are doing that. The fact that you mailed the package doesn’t mean your obligations to the buyer are over. You probably can’t think of any other internet transaction where all the seller has to do is prove they sent the package. Typically, delivery has to be confirmed. Our hobby is a little different than the normal transaction. Continue to work with the postal service to get the package delivered. The buyer will just have to be patient throughout the process. If eventually the package is determined to be lost you and seller can discuss possibly splitting the loss. In any event, as we all know, this hobby requires great patience. Tell the buyer to be patient. You are both just going to have to wait this out.

Thank you, I've no idea why pictures are down, I've never deleted any of my photos down loaded by pixelsbin, I am absolutely doing my best to resolve the issue with the buyer, it honestly has been exhausting! I will continue to work with Australia Post over this issue, and the buyer has been very patient although understandably very frustrated. Let's see if it turns up on my door step???

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
If the guy wasn’t in when delivery was attempted they would have been left a card giving them an opportunity to collect it from their local post office or depot. It’s never the case that the recipient is not informed of an attempted delivery - and a package won’t be returned to sender because of one failed delivery attempt.

So my questions are why they never went to collect their package, and were any other attempts made to deliver it?

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
As above. They need to inform three times the recipient before decide to send it back to sender.
Post office manager will have to proove that recipient informed, in three different dates, otherwise he is braking the law.

Recipient must don't let this pass. He must ask in person at post office and have the shipping number to you in the worst case.

Inktimer

Horology Curious
4/1/19
hi all, I am the buyer and yes, usually they left a card in my mailbox when i am not in or they handover to any a near neighbour - this is let's say... business as usual, but obviously not this time. Also, the attempts of delivery shown in the tracking cannot be correct. I was at home both days ( working from home most of the time ).
However, no blame on the seller at all ....it´s all about german post i guess.

Just seen the above......, yes i was at post office personally. I have even opened and formal investigation on german post portal - i still in the hope i get them somehow, but last info i got was it has been sent back to sender..... thank you all so far.

btw. best tracking is on UPU portal here... ( even there is a info mentioning "addressee being notified, but i wasn't )

http://globaltracktrace.ptc.post/gtt.web/

AWB: LK973498263AU

xray7

Renowned Member
1/4/18
Old Dart
hi all, I am the buyer and yes, usually they left a card in my mailbox when i am not in or they handover to any a near neighbour - this is let's say... business as usual, but obviously not this time. Also, the attempts of delivery shown in the tracking cannot be correct. I was at home both days ( working from home most of the time ).
However, no blame on the seller at all ....it´s all about german post i guess.

Posties in three countries in which I've lived to date have made baseless suggestions that they have attempted delivery when they or their managmenet have been challenged on not having rung the bell or left a card. Its not hugely surprising.

The problem is that once an item goes into "RTS" mode, especially international, its 50/50 whether the tracking will continue correctly. One positive here is that DHL, being a big, state owned business which goes a long way beyond its national borders, so it stands a chance of what needs to happen actually happening.

Pendular

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
21/1/19
Luxembourg
I lived in Berlin a couple of years ago, I had nothing but problems with the post service, so can understand how this can happen, twice I had tracked parcels go missing, when I spoke to the parcel service I was told they had been signed for by me? when i was not even at home to sign for them :(

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
all depends on which shipping company is used....in Holland if the addressee is not home and they need a signature, it can be delivered at neighbours and they should leave a card in your box but in reality, 9 out of 10 they don't leave a card. The trackinginfo is the only thing to go on. If this shows it is at a pickup location, they should be able to tell you where it is, normally it will be there for at least 10 days, after that it will be send back to the sender....or as in my case the postguy signed for it in my holiday and I was out of my money and out of watches....

sketchAG

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/1/19
Canada, eh
both buyer and seller seem like legitimate and good people, I dont think there's any worry about one person scamming another - happy to hear that the watches showed up, even though back in Australia.
Best of luck sorting this out, gents.

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
both buyer and seller seem like legitimate and good people, I dont think there's any worry about one person scamming another - happy to hear that the watches showed up, even though back in Australia.
Best of luck sorting this out, gents.

Thanks for the positive comment, yes, in the rep game it is all about trust, in my experience this forum is full of honest gentlemen who do the right thing, of course there are always going to be scammers but I think the Mods here do a great job in ensuring that we are as safe as possible.

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
Thanks for the positive comment, yes, in the rep game it is all about trust, in my experience this forum is full of honest gentlemen who do the right thing, of course there are always going to be scammers but I think the Mods here do a great job in ensuring that we are as safe as possible.

This is what I like to see, no paranoid buyer or seller, just two good guys looking for
the same result. You both handled the situation amicably

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Taz71

Inktimer

Horology Curious
4/1/19
thanks for the nice words..... fingers crossed watches will finally make it to me.