• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replica buyers mindset....

Pietros

14/12/18
UK
Purely financial, got it. How did you find the Reps, meaning were they always on your radar sort a speak. Growing up in NY I always knew there were copies or fakes but I honestly didn’t know it went this deep. I came across reps about six months ago kind of by accident. They were never really on my radar or given a second thought until then.

Rich

I 'found' reps when I entered a fabulous watch boutique in Northern Cyprus, fllled with every high end watch that I'd ever seen and of course many that I did not even know existed.
They were all reps but the place was set up like a high end 'official dealer'. I bought a Sub 116610LN which came in a replica Rolex box with replica card and papers etc.
On returning home, I found this site and I've been hooked ever since, even sold my genuine Omega Seamaster 212.30.41.20.03.001 to make way for more reps.

Reactions: Watchfan69

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I started in 2009 when I wanted an everyday mechanical watch to wear in all occasions. Set up a budget of around 300€ and started looking. I always liked watches but from a very amateur point of view (low end watches mostly but always amazed at the fact that I could have a nice gadget on my wrist).
​​​​​​
​​Knowing where to look I started checking some stores but I soon realised that the looks and designs of watches at that level weren't satisfactory, especially compared to the designs of the higher end ones. It's like comparing a Fabia with a DB7. I mean, there's a reason behind the extra zeros in the price and certainly the best designers don't end up designing Skodas.

So I realised I wanted something that looked like these high end watches, and saw some homages. But they were really shy in terms of not blatantly copying the original, which is something I never understood (when Squale or Steinhart add changes to the design to be able to say "hey, this our interpretation of the iconic Submariner", I mean, you're a copy, at least copy it well!).

The only option was to get a replica! And got myself a very nice Railmaster. It was my daily beater for almost ten years.

Many years later, with a better job and very juicy bonuses coming I decided I would buy myself a nice Rolex. Some kind of self recognition or something. I thought that before dumping some serious money I would first decide well which one I wanted to settle with, and suddenly remembered about that forum, about the Chinese 1:1 replicas and such. So I came back and did some research, which ended up with me buying several reps: a Datejust, an Explorer, a Submariner and a GMT.

After wearing them for a couple of months I decided the Sub had it all (date, sporty but formal, good lume, and water resistant), so it was decided. Submariner it is. The first setback was to find out about Rolex's nefarious tactics with the steel sports models: not a single sub in all London, unless you go 2nd hand.

I thought "it is what it is" and went to a well known 2nd hand store (Austin Kaye, for all Londoners) and looked at their shop. They had one! And I had an epiphany right there. I looked at my Sub (v6s with Spongebob modded insert), looked at the one in the window. Looked at mine again. Remembered how nice the Datejust felt last weekend having a drink by the river. Looked at the gen Sub. Thought about perhaps trying on a Nautilus for summer... And it stroke me. I saw the light, with total clarity.

I realised I was not willing to spend my well earned money in a chunk of steel made by some Swiss elitist snob that tells time with less precision than my phone and put that money towards a house deposit we were saving for. Bought a brand new 2 bedroom apartment and started collecting replicas instead.

Edit: I bought a gen Tudor Black Bay 36, though. I couldn't resist the Ad experience. That champagne, guys...

Last edited:

Rolemars

Renowned Member
13/1/19
EU
Main reason? I love the look of several high end watches and want to experience them all without spending 100k or more. :)
If I ever regret buying one, get bored of it, or even if it gets stolen, I have a minimum loss. I might get a gen of one model I really love after living with a rep for a while. But still, unless you're a billionaire, spending that kind of money on accessories is a bit reckless (even if they increase in value). I love the way watches look and don't really care about the movement inside. After all, any cheap quartz watch will be a better time keeper than Rolex, Omega, AP, VC, JLC, whatever.
Also, maintenance is expensive AF on high end movements and I don't really love a watch that much to justify that. ;)

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
Main reason? I love the look of several high end watches and want to experience them all without spending 100k or more. :)
If I ever regret buying one, get bored of it, or even if it gets stolen, I have a minimum loss. I might get a gen of one model I really love after living with a rep for a while. But still, unless you're a billionaire, spending that kind of money on accessories is a bit reckless (even if they increase in value). I love the way watches look and don't really care about the movement inside. After all, any cheap quartz watch will be a better time keeper than Rolex, Omega, AP, VC, JLC, whatever.
Also, maintenance is expensive AF on high end movements and I don't really love a watch that much to justify that. ;)

You don’t care about the mechanical wonder inside : (

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Katarsis

SikRipAndPanic

The answer is yes but what was the question
7/2/17
London / Essex Area
I started on reps as I wanted a gen planet ocean for my 50th
I had tried them on but every time left thinking that’s 4K what else could I do with that?
So settled on a used one whilst looking and researching I came across RWI and subsequently got concerned that I could inadvertently purchase a rep by mistake.
So I thought f@@k it join and buy a new rep see how it goes.
I’m super happy with the rep but still in the end purchased a new gen.
I went a bit mad and purchased all sorts from TDs and m2m and my collection grew out of hand.
So very recently sold off 23 watch’s and have gone down to my true favourites.
My gen sends 99 percent of its time in its box under the bed my reps on the wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Rolemars

Renowned Member
13/1/19
EU
You don’t care about the mechanical wonder inside : (

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not that I don't care, i find it fascinating as a piece of art, but not something you wear daily without much worries ;)

rob7544

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/3/15
I ask myself why sometimes as well. I think for me it comes down to value. I can afford gens and have the lifestyle that I could carry off wearing anything under 30k but I just don't think any watch without precious metal should be more than 10k tops. I love the Roger Dubuis Tourbillion but at 200k I just think people who know the watch would think I am a douche for buying that when there are people starving in the world. If that watch was 10k gen I would be all over it. I get that you are paying for the design and I appreciate that but some of the movements are a few hundred dollars and I can't stomach the markup. I have a Ball Spacemaster 2 Hydrocarbon gen that was close to 6k but has 50 tritium tubes and a beautiful design .I felt I was getting what I was paying for. I love my 382 Bronzo rep but they are 30k on the used market. I see other gen bronze divers from brands I have never heard of that look like it but they all have minor flaws that keep me from getting one and they are all under a grand. Also as another member posted I enjoy the hunt. I love learning about all of the movements, the history, and with reps and the innate insecurity of wearing a replica I really focus way more on the details and craft of watchmaking then before when I would see a watch through the glass and buy it based on looks or brand. I am still a noob 20 watches in but now I buy them strictly on what suits my eye. I like a few of Natas78s PAM watches with his beautiful dials more than the gens and I don't care as much about it looking exactly like a gen as when I first got into this. I play golf (which is bad for mechanical watches) with my PAM 188 rep and after 300 rounds it still runs perfectly. I don't think I would do that with the gen. Maybe at some point I will see one of my favorite watches on Chrono 24 used and will go back to mostly gens for now as reps are a weird addiction. My wife gives me shit about the hobbybut I tell her at least I'm not spending big money on gens .

hackkakid

18/1/19
Merica
I am new to the rep world and so far I am enjoying it thoroughly. While I truly appreciate the complication of gen movements and the out of the box craftsmanship found in many gen time pieces, the rep world and its patrons have become fascinating to me. The amount of time, effort and contribution the RWI community has put into evolving this hobby is astonishing and has driven my pursuit to lean more.

If I must say, the Chinese have done an incredible job with so many of these reps. While far from exact, it is impressive how passable so many of these reps are right out of the box without an up close inspection or a side by side.

My "gateway drug" into the rep world was a Blancpain Villeret. A classy watch I had always loved the look of, but would never put before a genuine Panerai, AP, Rolex etc. If I was ever going to own this watch, it was going to be a rep!

The dedication of this community to help others choose & further refine their time pieces into reliable works of art, can only be described as "peer pressure" and is unacceptable. J/K

No really, reps are awesome, but this community not only makes it possible for us to enjoy them, it make it pretty painless as well.

I have have definitely opened pandora's box with my new found addiction...

Last edited:
Reactions: GMT1675

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
There's another catch of this hobby too, and it's that you can tinker with these watches with not much remorse. After years reading magazines and websites I never dared opening a watch. A month after my return to the rep world I had bought a set of amateur tools and I was regulating my own watches, changing bezel inserts, greasing the gaskets, polishing bracelets, changing crystals, etc.
​​​​​​
Plus you get to see the guts and construction of some iconic pieces. How else would you see the construction of a Royal Oak case, with the back screws screwing into the front ones, or the gasket between the bezel and the case of a Nautilus?
​​

sketchAG

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/1/19
Canada, eh
when I can't justify the cost or just too far out of my budget.
There is one particular watch I'm looking for ... unfortunately they don't fake them. I love the look/design, but just can't justify the price. But as I said, unfortunately they don't fake that certain model.

Norrie

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
24/5/12
I was looking for replica kangaroo scrotum purses and happened on this site.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I have a couple watch straps made from kangaroo scrotum leather. Here is a link to the supplier. She may be able to help you.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/KangarooSacks

Just seen the pics. Are the scrotums gen spec? The color seems to have a hint of orange that doesn't match the genuine. I might pass on these ones and wait for v2 AAA 1:1 Kangaroo Scrotum.

palaufreak

Renowned Member
7/7/16
I have gens that rep factories won't make NWBIG soon, that's why I have them. I buy reps of watches that are NWBIG simply because I can invest that money In something else and get the same fking watch for less then 10% of the value with all the gen features and good movement stability.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hanifcd

Horology Curious
15/2/19
I have a collection of both gens and reps. I love watches by how it looks, feels on the wrist and unknowingly binge buying it and regret it later so buying a rep would lessen the damage(just).
I put a mindset of to not buy a rep that is absurdly expensive if it's gen just to make it believable.

Simply put, if it looks good, close to the gen, simple without much complications then most probably I'll buy it.
I'll buy a gen if I know if it is hard to replicate for example a JLC Amvox2

Reactions: Watchfan69

doughboy1

Horology Curious
16/2/19
USA
Aside from replicas being an affordable alternative for horological hobbyists, I was looking to have various alternatives in daily rotation to save the genuine watches from wear & tear. I'd love to own 20 gen watches but can't afford that. I had hoped to get into this community to expand my knowledge of the various movements and to see if I can acquire different styles before deciding what to financially commit to (for purchases of gen watches).

DoctorDark

Known Member
16/2/19
Los Angeles
I am mostly a gen watch collector [My entire collection is gen currently. I only plan to get one rep]. I also tend to get homages of those I cannot afford. Example: Bulova Royal Oak. Later on I am sure I will be able to get my hands on an actual AP Royal Oak.

However for Patek there is a difference. I have an unhealthy obsession since I first got into watches with having a patek nautilus and it will be years until I can even remotely think about a patek nautilus. Stupid things cost well into 40k+ and look to get only more expensive and out of reach which means its easily possible I will quite simply never get the real one. In this situation I will just satisfy my desire with an homage. Damn thing doesn't even have a proper homage. No one dares to try to homage them. The only homage I've found is the Aramar transatlantic.

A little bit of snooping around here and I quickly figure out that Aramar is obviously sourcing their entire operation out of china from one of the rep dealers. The movement for the aramar is the same Miyota that is used in all reps for the Nautilus 5711. They closed the caseback with steel to hide the replica movement and the dials are reprinted.

At this point why the hell do I even bother with getting a bad homage when I can get the best rep? So begins my hunt to get the best possible PP nautilus 5711 white dial rep possible and here I am. You can bet Imma mod the ever loving hell out of it to make it the best one possible.