• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replica buyers mindset....

Watchfan69

Horology Curious
9/1/19
Curious to know what made you seek out to buy a replica. As I find out more and dive deeper into the Rep world got me thinking who are the buyers and what are they thinking.. At this point I have made one rep purchase which wasn’t perfect but hasn’t curbed my enthusiasum in the least. It won’t be my last rep purchase that is for sure.
If this has been posted or chatted about in the past please point me to the linky.

Thanks
RH

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
I love watches. Whether it is a genuine or a replica; a swiss made or a chinese made; to me, a watch is a watch.

I bought my first watch when I was 9. It was a cheap Casio. I continued buying watches as I grew older. I bought an affordable gen tag heuer after I graduated high school. Then I bought a mid-level gen tag after graduating college. I bought my first rep datejust when I was living in Asia in late 90s, but I didn’t think much of the datejust as I continued wearing my gen tag until I replaced it with a gen Raymond Weil.

In 2003, I visited Asia again and I met an old friend, a physician, who re-introduced me to rolex rep. His rolex reps were beautiful. I bought a few rep datejusts (again) but these ones were better made. These reps lasted almost 10 years.

I stumbled upon RWI by accident as I was looking for a replacement bracelet for my gen tag heuer. I didn’t want to buy the genuine bracelet so I looked for replica.

Because I’ve owned good quality replicas before, RWI became the place where I can get reps without going to Asia.

Slowly but surely, my watch collection grew. From a few watches to 50+ watches in couple of years without breaking the bank.

I’ve probably spent close to $25k on reps to date. I could buy genuine watches with the money I spent, but I would only get a few not 50 or 60.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Last edited:

DonPatrizio

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
18/11/17
At the end of the day it's a device that tells time. The quality is of a $300 rep is generally much higher than a $300 gen. Also if anyone is fiscally conscious, wearing a $6k object on your wrist is not the brightest move not only because of loss/theft implications but that $6k better serves to gain interest in the market than being tied up in an object.

Also, gen or rep, the manufacture is a business just looking to make money like anyone else, so why give them hard earned dollars of your own money when you get get nearly the same item for a fraction of the cost.

Watchfan69

Horology Curious
9/1/19
This answer seems a bit defensive. That being said a $300 rep is NOT repping a $300 gen. Please you need to show me an example of this or did you miss a zero??

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Curious to know what made you seek out to buy a replica. As I find out more and dive deeper into the Rep world got me thinking who are the buyers and what are they thinking.. At this point I have made one rep purchase which wasn’t perfect but hasn’t curbed my enthusiasum in the least. It won’t be my last rep purchase that is for sure.
If this has been posted or chatted about in the past please point me to the linky.

Thanks
RH

It’s simply to get chicks.

Watchfan69

Horology Curious
9/1/19
I love watches. Whether it is a genuine or a replica; a swiss made or a chinese made; to me, a watch is a watch.

I bought my first watch when I was 9. It was a cheap Casio. I continued buying watches as I grew older. I bought an affordable gen tag heuer after I graduated high school. Then I bought a mid-level gen tag after graduating college. I bought my first rep datejust when I was living in Asia in late 90s, but I didn’t think much of the datejust as I continued wearing my gen tag until I replaced it with a gen Raymond Weil.

In 2003, I visited Asia again and I met an old friend, a physician, who re-introduced me to rolex rep. His rolex reps were beautiful. I bought a few rep datejusts (again) but these ones were better made. These reps lasted almost 10 years.

I stumbled upon RWI by accident as I was looking for a replacement bracelet for my gen tag heuer. I didn’t want to buy the genuine bracelet so I looked for replica.

Because I’ve owned good quality replicas before, RWI became the place where I can get reps without going to Asia.

Slowly but surely, my watch collection grew. From a few watches to 50+ watches in couple of years without breaking the bank.

I’ve probably spent close to $25k on reps to date. I could buy genuine watches with the money I spent, but I would only get a few not 50 or 60.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI[/QUOTE

Thanks for taking the time to put together this reply.

Rich

Reactions: efajri

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
yes, it's an interesting question and to be honest I don't have a definitive answer, for me it's about having the 'feeling' of wearing a Rolex without the hefty investment, I would love to wear gen but i'm just not there yet, so a rep will have to suffice, gen $500 watches just don't give me that feeling?? My 0.2c

kampachi

Renowned Member
7/1/14
The bitter truth, most wants a 10k watch but cant afford it. Yes, having 10k doesn’t mean you can afford it period. Thats why luxury is not for everyone.

That is when reps come in, so you can have the feeling of wearing a 10k watch for $500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rep_Fan

rolexwatchfan

17/8/13
The bitter truth, most wants a 10k watch but cant afford it. Yes, having 10k doesn’t mean you can afford it period. Thats why luxury is not for everyone.

That is when reps come in, so you can have the feeling of wearing a 10k watch for $500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if I told you that I own $10K reps? Would that change your perspective?

Wildcatfan

13/2/18
Watches are mechanical works of art. Especially the really high end ones. They all have something that's interesting about them. The chance of being able to wear or at least admire so many different ones in person is pretty slim. I own and have owned both gen and reps and I just like the variety.

Watchfan69

Horology Curious
9/1/19
What if I told you that I own $10K reps? Would that change your perspective?

Well if that’s truly the case then explain the reason for a 10k rep vs a gen. id like to know what reps cost 10k do tell and shoot a link to where these reps can be purchased.

Watchfan69

Horology Curious
9/1/19
as an example. A franken AP which cost $8000 to build, but the genuine cost $20,000 to buy.

Fair enough. That’s a whole other level I suppose to the rep market which again am intrigued by the mindset to do such a thing. Seems hardly worth the effort but that is just my opinion and would venture to guess that that rep segment is pretty small but then again maybe not.

Reactions: Rep_Fan

rolexwatchfan

17/8/13
Well if that’s truly the case then explain the reason for a 10k rep vs a gen. id like to know what reps cost 10k do tell and shoot a link to where these reps can be purchased.

There are the genuine watches that are uber expensive and extremely rare, usually offered through private sales from hi-end collectors or auction houses. Most with utmost historical significance. As far as the reps of such watches, there's no "link" to post where to purchase. They are hand build, commissioned pieces by master watch-smiths out of genuine and replicated parts to original specifications. Although they might pop in the sales section from time to time they are sought after among rep collectors as well and will sell rather quickly despite high dollar value.

Watchfan69

Horology Curious
9/1/19
There are the genuine watches that are uber expensive and extremely rare, usually offered through private sales from hi-end collectors or auction houses. Most with utmost historical significance. As far as the reps of such watches, there's no "link" to post where to purchase. They are hand build, commissioned pieces by master watch-smiths out of genuine and replicated parts to original specifications. Although they might pop in the sales section from time to time they are sought after among rep collectors as well and will sell rather quickly despite high dollar value.

Understood. Seems to be a lot to this Rep game. I suppose it’s worth the effort to make an ultra high-end uber franken rep. Very interesting though at least to me.

Thanks.
R.