• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF yacht master 116655 with ceramic bezel quality issues

Rolexphreak

Horology Curious
16/11/18
Hi guys I have been searching the forums for related posts about this but can't see any relevant posts.

Having recently bought a Noob gmt ii batman and the ARF Yacht master from Chazing Time I was very happy initially with the quality of the watches.

I did have to buy the larger oysterflex strap for the Yacht Master but once I got the longer strap it was all good.

However my problem came when I wore the Yacht master for the first time. I was attending a ln event so wore the watch and initially it was great but after wearing the watch for less than 5 hours most of the rose gold has worn off the lugs on all sizes.

I have contacted chazingtime to explain that this is very poor quality plating but was told that unfortunately this is not a fault with the watch.

Anyway lesson learned I suppose but I just wanted to drop something on the forum for anyone else considering buying this watch.

Mine is now unwearable and I'm gutted to have wasted my money.

I will upload some pictures a little later today

Reactions: trendconcept

sketchAG

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/1/19
Canada, eh
there are gold-plating services you could use to re-plate your watch,

average cost would be $100-200, and generally 1micron (of gold plating) will last about 12months,
find out from them what would be the best for your watch

Reactions: Rolexphreak

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
Surprised to hear the plating is gone after 5 hours of wear. It is likely the manufacturer screwed up the plating process. But here is another reason not to buy gold-plated watches - a few scratches and the rep game is over.

Reactions: rj999

preppyr6

I'm Pretty Popular
29/10/15
Oh wow this is really concerning...mine is on the way right now, should have it later this week.

The only concern I have with replating would be matching the everose color...but I dont know the first thing about retail plating services.

watchbuilder

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
16/5/18
Care to post some pictures? Would be really helpful for others considering the watch. :)

shanej

7/12/16
Ive have my yachtmaster for a year and its just now become unwearable (but totally agree), love the watch as its my first rep but i wont be buying another gold watch..

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

sketchAG

19/1/19
Canada, eh
a photo would be nice because I'm wondering if the gold/metal has tarnished (as opposed to it being worn off), has the watch, especially the lugs, been exposed to any chemicals, etc.?

Rolexphreak

Horology Curious
16/11/18
Hi guys I really appreciate your feedback and I agree that is the risk you take with a plated watch but I was hoping to get maybe a year out of it minimum as I'd be wearing it infrequently.

I've tried to post an image but struggled a bit with file size but I'll try get my images up tomorrow for you all and reply to your posts.

Rolexphreak

Horology Curious
16/11/18
Hi Guys I hope this link works for the images.

As I said i wore the watch with a double cuff cotton shirt for only 5 hours wear.

There was no contact with any aftershave or chemicals when i was wearing it other than maybe sweat (living in Asia this is always going to happen, but that day i was indoors all day in AC)

Any comments more than welcome.

Also the only other thing i did was when i took it off i wiped it down with a watch cloth i always use for my Gen watches - no chemicals again just a natural cloth - and then back into my watch box.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/hakwqa2k/

michel7752

18/4/14
Switzerland
This can not be accepted. First, try once more to get a replacement watch or a refund from Chazingtime. That's why we have this forum and TRUSTED dealers. If unsuccessful, get help from a moderator.

sky_g

17/6/15
Hi man,

One thing is for sure that manufacturer really screwed with plating but I am almost 100% sure that dealer will not agree on it to fix your issue ! Before you invest some more to watch for plating make a deep search to find someone who will make the plating. Because rose gold plating can end up with really something weird which you will not like !!

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
agree with michel7752, if it wears of after 5 hours, Chazingtime should offer a solution....

bdick21

Looking Around
22/12/18
Is this a one off, or has anyone else had the same problem with their ARF 116655?

Rolexphreak

Horology Curious
16/11/18
Hi Guys I agree with michel7752 I will contact ChazingTime again today and see what they say and report back to this post once I hear back from them.

I'm glad you guys are on-board with me here. This is definitely the risk with Rep watches and if I'd grabbed a low end Rep from a market I'd expect this but a higher end Rep should definitely last a while longer - well more than 5 hours anyway :)

Cheers for your support

Chris

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
that's a complete pisser. i had a noob that suffered from plating issues but i'm not sure if i maybe got some kind of hairspray or other bathroom product on it. yours has the gold flaking off in places that weren't even touching your skin.

Wildcatfan

13/2/18
That's an obvious manufacturing issue. It's flaking so whenever the base metal was etched it was either not enough or it wasn't cleaned prior to plating. There's a big difference between wearing through due to the thin layer and that type of problem.

Spooky01

Horology Curious
19/2/19
Hi Guys I agree with michel7752 I will contact ChazingTime again today and see what they say and report back to this post once I hear back from them.

I'm glad you guys are on-board with me here. This is definitely the risk with Rep watches and if I'd grabbed a low end Rep from a market I'd expect this but a higher end Rep should definitely last a while longer - well more than 5 hours anyway :)

Cheers for your support

Chris

Hey Chris,

How did you get on with ChasingTime?

Are there any other forum members who have the ARF and experiencing similar issues?

Any ARF owners who haven't had this issue?

Cheers