• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sapphire vs. Mineral - It's all glass to me

Repmaniac

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
15/3/06
Acrylic vs. Mineral vs. Sapphire crystals:

Once again, long and boring, but somebody might want to know :idea:

This question comes up from time-to-time, and thought a brief (WHAHAHAHA) explanation of what they are and how to tell what they are may be useful. Most collectors, WIS’, and members of this illustrious board already know, but for those that don’t know, here it is;

First off, acrylic is a fancy name for plastic, or Plexiglas. Plexi, of course, is the least expensive. It is also the least likely to shatter and the most likely to become scratched. Mineral glass, even though it has been hardened by a tempering process, is more likely to break than Plexiglas. But it is also more scratch-resistant than that material. Synthetic sapphire is the most expensive glass crystal material and the most scratch resistant. Because it is so hard, it is also brittle, and shatters more easily than mineral glass. There is one other out there, which is kinda a laminate. It uses a base of mineral glass, with a layer of sapphire laminated on the outside. This hybrid offers the shatter resistance of mineral, with the scratch-resistance of sapphire. This stuff is proprietary, and Seiko uses it quite a bit. This is what’s called “synthetic sapphire.â€

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Repmaniac said:
Last, the water test - place large drops of water on the crystal, then tilt the watch and watch the water slide off. On the sapphire crystal, water will easily slide off - leaving small well-formed round globules of water on the surface. On the mineral crystal - most of the water will "stick" to the crystal and the drops of water will spread across the surface of the crystal to form a non-uniform "puddle" instead of sliding off.

This is the so-called bead test. Water is 'taller' on Sapphire for the reasons goatboy described above.

Glass:
zzz%20-%20glass.jpg

Sapphire:
zzz%20-%20sapphire.jpg

One thing with this test and the colour test is that anti-reflective coatings can invalidate them both.

sssurfer

Known Member
15/3/06
Just for the sake of precision:

'Synthetic sapphire' is the name usually said for any sapphire watch crystal, not only for Seiko's double-layer. This is because sapphire used in watch crystal is always produced by artificial, industrial means. Should it be natural sapphire, it would cost millions (provided that such large natural sapphires can be found). So pls consider that you will often find dealers stating 'synthetic sapphire' about their watches, and they are correct, but you are not going to get a double-layer crystal.

Another poorly reliable but easy test to tell sapphire from glass in watch crystals is the fingernail test. Gently hit the crystal with your fingernail, possibly the little finger one, without leaving your nail on the crystal after hitting, but tacking it back fast. Glass sounds more like "pinnng!", and sapphire like "tuk!".

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
sssurfer said:
Should it be natural sapphire, it would cost millions (provided that such large natural sapphires can be found).
It would also be rubbish for watches. Natural Sapphire isn't clear.

Tink131

16/3/06
great write up guys- keep the educational stuff coming [smilie=icon_study.gif]

higgy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
17/3/06
I agree with tink...good stuff!!!! Now to put my new knowledge to the test :wink:
Higgy

Repmaniac

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
15/3/06
Hey, you could always call yourself "Sapphire", but then you'd have to learn how to pole-dance :shock: :shock:

sexypapa

Known Member
17/3/06
GOOD POST!!!

See, it really clear out my question that I posted couple weeks ago on the other forum.

Now I won't ask dealers this kind of question.

sssurfer

Known Member
15/3/06
Sexypapa, the only way I have been able to read your reply was to open it in a reply window.
Pls consider those who choose a different skin too, leave the default color.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Fingernail test works best for me (after handling so many watches with different glass materials).