• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Shipping with Fedex to USA

michael.mayhugh.9

Horology Curious
21/8/17
Hello all,

I recently purchased a watch from a TD and paid for EMS China shipping. When the TD sent me the tracking number, it was for FedEx. The TD usually charges more for FedEx, so maybe I got a free upgrade?

I’m worried that FedEx will try to collect customs fees from me which I’ve never had to pay when shipping through EMS. Anyone else have this experience?

The odd thing is that the TD advertises FedEx shipping as being 3-5 days with real time tracking but the tracking number was generated on 1/20/19 and their tracking shows that they haven’t received the watch yet. The TD said this is normal and that the watch hasn’t hit the US yet. That’s fine, but if FedEx isn’t getting it to the US, who is?

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildcatfan

13/2/18
You won't until it clears customs and is transferred to Fedex. EMS ships it to the US and then Fedex takes over.

T3RM1N4T0R

The Terminator Mod
Advisor
25/8/13
Actually this is common with my TD sead
He ships to me in the USA special line from china
What happens is as you get a FedEx tracking # that shows pending. (This is from a importer location currently in CA) once the special line arrives in the USA your fedex tracking will update and it will actually ship via your tracking #. It becomes FedEx smart post and it actually transfer and deliver via USPS.

I have a package via this method delivering tomorrow and another that I got tracking info yet still pending FedEx on the 20th. Normally around 10 days to see fedwc tracking update this way

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: RetFed

palaufreak

Renowned Member
7/7/16
Actually this is common with my TD sead
He ships to me in the USA special line from china
What happens is as you get a FedEx tracking # that shows pending. (This is from a importer location currently in CA) once the special line arrives in the USA your fedex tracking will update and it will actually ship via your tracking #. It becomes FedEx smart post and it actually transfer and deliver via USPS.

I have a package via this method delivering tomorrow and another that I got tracking info yet still pending FedEx on the 20th. Normally around 10 days to see fedwc tracking update this way

Yep, Sead does this method.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

michael.mayhugh.9

Horology Curious
21/8/17
Thanks for the quick responses!

So is there any real advantage with shipping FedEx? If the FedEx path is:

China to US via EMS
US to near final destination via FedEx
near final destination to final destination via USPS

And the EMS only path is:

China to US via EMS
US to final destination via USPS

Does that (relatively) short FedEx involvement speed things up or ensure reliability?

Sorry for all the question, just really curious in shipping methods!

palaufreak

Renowned Member
7/7/16
I don't know man, but of your Td chooses that it's the safest way to get your package.

Jxwatch1

Supporter
Certified
3/10/18
Although i am in asia my TD also does from time to time. Since its chinese new year, theres an importer in hongkong that imports the watch then forwards it to the final destination.

This way its safer that the packages comes from hong kong and not flagged as china hence safer for customs.

So dont worry. TDs usually have experience in doing this and we just need to be patient.

T3RM1N4T0R

The Terminator Mod
Advisor
25/8/13
Thanks for the quick responses!

So is there any real advantage with shipping FedEx? If the FedEx path is:

China to US via EMS
US to near final destination via FedEx
near final destination to final destination via USPS

And the EMS only path is:

China to US via EMS
US to final destination via USPS

Does that (relatively) short FedEx involvement speed things up or ensure reliability?

Sorry for all the question, just really curious in shipping methods!

It doesnt speed it up. It reduces the chances of customs taking the package

michael.mayhugh.9

Horology Curious
21/8/17
It doesnt speed it up. It reduces the chances of customs taking the package

Ahhh, got it. That makes sense. I’ve ordered several watches before but I’ve always used EMS. Just wasn’t sure about FedEx.

T3RM1N4T0R

The Terminator Mod
Advisor
25/8/13
Ahhh, got it. That makes sense. I’ve ordered several watches before but I’ve always used EMS. Just wasn’t sure about FedEx.

Basically it ships from Hong Kong to an importer warehouse in the USA via speed line with tons of other cargo going to the same location. The importer prints FedEx shipping labels as soon as he get the ASN (advanced shipping notice) from the Hong Kong exporter. Once the cargo arrived state side it gets the new FedEx shipping label and off it goes. That is when you will see movement on your tracking #

RetFed

Renowned Member
23/3/14
Yep, Sead does this method.

Yes he does, we have found this to be the safest manner of clearing customs. It may take a little longer but I’d rather wait a couple extra days than seizure by customs. I speak from experience )<:

Last edited: