• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What is the lifespan of a replica?

eswilly

I'm Pretty Popular
2/11/14
Florida
If Magnum and TC do it, shouldn’t we all?
a2032c42e279745263b500e225522715.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stromtrooper4

22/11/07
Seriously, why would anyone shower with a watch on? I have never understood this.
Besides the fact that even Rolex recommend their watches are not exposed to hot water or steam you end up with a watch that has soap scum build up in every nook and cranny of the band. And what is the point? do you need to tell the time in the shower?

When I goto the gym at lunch in my working week is one example. If I’m at the beach and shower there before getting in the car another

Sent from the RWI App

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
Just get it pressure tested - I get mine done at Timpson (key cutter, cobbler, watch battery replacement place).

All my ARF’s have been good to 70 - 100m.

Showering with a watch is minging - all that humid crap left between the watch and your wrist is super gross.

Kingcac

Known Member
4/12/18
Detroit
What’s wrong with showering with your watch? This is not normal? I thought everyone does it. Kinda like singing in the shower, everyone does it, but no one talks about it.

naturaqua

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/7/18
In my opinion it’s not worth the risk to shower with the watch. Nothing happens if I don’t know the exact time during those 5 minutes in the shower...

60Steps

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/11/18
I have 2 replicas from Wm9 and BK almost 10 years old Still working fine. Only serviced one of them Both waterproof but never submerged If you look after them can't see why they can't last for many years

theinvestigator

Renowned Member
11/5/14
I’ve had my datejust 36 by BP since October 2016 and it’s still going. I’ve never showered or exposed it to water. I do not play golf in it either...common sense really

Watching92

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/7/18
UK
Really does vary. I've got a really cheap movement sub (forget the movement name) an a2836 gmt master and a milgauss with the 3131 clone movement, touch wood after 6+ months of use all are fine so far.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I do shower with my reps occasionally. I like to look at the watch when the water splashes onto it and whisper: "there you are, withstanding the fury of the elements like a true legend! go on! GO ON YOU LITTLE STEEL HERO!", and clap furiously after. It works wonders.

fuzzmex

2/9/17
I'm dubious about showering with a watch as well.
Mainly for fear of limescales.
The water hardness where I live is such that limescales built up quickly.
I have to descale my shower often enough to avoid taking a delicate piece of metal with me in there.
On holidays I wear a relatively cheap but very sturdy Citizen divewatch that goes with me into the pool perhaps, but when I go scuba diving I would even take that off.
Dive computers are what you wear down there, any watch is just waste of wrist space IMO.
Other than showing off, there is really no point in wearing an expensive dive watch when swimming, even less so when scuba diving.
Just my two cents though...

fuzzmex

2/9/17
Question: how regular would regular service on a replica watch be?
Every year? Couple of years? More than that?

lilmoogz

Known Member
15/11/18

I think every few years if serviced by a competent watchsmith

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada

Asian clone movements are unpredictable. It could last 15 years without a service, or it could break in ten minutes.

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Seriously, why would anyone shower with a watch on? I have never understood this.
Besides the fact that even Rolex recommend their watches are not exposed to hot water or steam you end up with a watch that has soap scum build up in every nook and cranny of the band. And what is the point? do you need to tell the time in the shower?

Legit question, OPs. Not yours. I have encountered this situation, and though you question what seems to be something a bit "crazy", the question is definitely valid. Personal scenarios:
(1) you wore the watch in seawater, or in the pool. Then you need to clean yourself up in the shower before wearing your normal clothes. Why leave the watch out to accumulate salt or chlorine?
(2) you are deeply engrossed in whatever you are doing. Then you hear a loud reproach "get little X out of the shower/bath, we are already late". Not a time to question or hesitate for removing a stupid watch. That gets either dunked in water, or showered

Reactions: Hinclimincli

Hanifcd

Horology Curious
15/2/19
I did a lot of submerging activities in a river, sea, swimming pools and it's been working so far for the Rolex Milgauss.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
I did a lot of submerging activities in a river, sea, swimming pools and it's been working so far for the Rolex Milgauss.

“Submerging activities?” Underwater demolitions?

Reactions: Hanifcd