• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What is the lifespan of a replica?

Mdkk

Looking Around
13/10/18
Just got a V5 noob submariner, looks really nice
just wondering can I shower with it?
exercise with it ?
whats the general lifespan of these replicas?

eswilly

I'm Pretty Popular
2/11/14
Florida
Did you request the TD waterproof it? Was it an option? If it wasn’t completed at the TD I would advise to NOT submerge the watch. Hand washing is fine, to an extent. DON’T shower with it or take it into the bathroom during a shower. The steam can penetrate the case and rust the movement as wound submerging it also. If you order from a TD pay extra to have them do it. Some modders offer the service.

The general watch parts are mostly some kind of metal. It’ll last forever. The movement is your long term concern. The solution is to simply replace the movement if it fails. Wether it’s a 3135 or a 2824/2836. Easily found online.
If you do buy a 3135 watch make certain it’s a SH3135 not a SA3135. The SH takes genuine Rolex parts and is more dependable.

Keep the questions coming and have fun with our hobby. Also, do a little snooping around the forum. I’m pretty certain all of your questions have been addressed on some thread somewhere.
Peace and love.
E.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mdkk

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Just got a V5 noob submariner, looks really nice
just wondering can I shower with it?
exercise with it ?
whats the general lifespan of these replicas?

With periodic maintenance they can run for decades. Have it pressure tested before swimming. When I had a subc it passed 10 ATM. I've done everything in mine from rollercoasters to falling on ice, and no issues.

CosmoKat

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
9/1/19
United Kingdom
Did you request the TD waterproof it? Was it an option? If it wasn’t completed at the TD I would advise to NOT submerge the watch. Hand washing is fine, to an extent. DON’T shower with it or take it into the bathroom during a shower. The steam can penetrate the case and rust the movement as wound submerging it also. If you order from a TD pay extra to have them do it. Some modders offer the service.

The general watch parts are mostly some kind of metal. It’ll last forever. The movement is your long term concern. The solution is to simply replace the movement if it fails. Wether it’s a 3135 or a 2824/2836. Easily found online.
If you do buy a 3135 watch make certain it’s a SH3135 not a SA3135. The SH takes genuine Rolex parts and is more dependable.

Keep the questions coming and have fun with our hobby. Also, do a little snooping around the forum. I’m pretty certain all of your questions have been addressed on some thread somewhere.
Peace and love.
E.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some really good info there. I was curious about this but I was too afraid to ask :(

Reactions: eswilly

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Seriously, why would anyone shower with a watch on? I have never understood this.
Besides the fact that even Rolex recommend their watches are not exposed to hot water or steam you end up with a watch that has soap scum build up in every nook and cranny of the band. And what is the point? do you need to tell the time in the shower?

shyreplover

Renowned Member
12/6/06
Conditioner for hair needs to be left on hair 3-5 minutes before rinsing. Duh!
A watch will do, but a chrono is even better.

Reactions: Taz71

sketchAG

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/1/19
Canada, eh
yeah, don't shower with it,
if movement is well made and passed good quality control, with regular (5-10 yrs) maintenance, a mechanical watch could last a lifetime

Stribbo

24/9/18
If you bought your rep on holiday from the looky looky man the lifespan can be anything from 1 to 5 minutes. Buy a quality rep from a TD or M2M and it will last years if you look after it.

I dont think I would ever shower or swim with a rep on unless properly water proofed by someone recommended on this site, but I have and do with my gen dive watches. That said I have never thought about the difference hot water could make.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Seriously, why would anyone shower with a watch on? I have never understood this.
Besides the fact that even Rolex recommend their watches are not exposed to hot water or steam you end up with a watch that has soap scum build up in every nook and cranny of the band. And what is the point? do you need to tell the time in the shower?

I’ve never been able to figure this out either. However, I highly endorse the “Shaving Cream Mod.”
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...discussion/310092-the-shaving-cream-mod-guide

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU

I take freshwater showers with the watch ON after I've been out diving/swimming. Just in order to rinse off the seawater.

On a daily basis at home. No I don't shower with it on, makes no sense to me.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
I take freshwater showers with the watch ON after I've been out diving/swimming. Just in order to rinse off the seawater.

On a daily basis at home. No I don't shower with it on, makes no sense to me.

Look at your shower glass or your tile after a shower. There's a film on it. It makes no sense to subject your watch to that.

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
Look at your shower glass or your tile after a shower. There's a film on it. It makes no sense to subject your watch to that.

Like I said, at home or in general I don't shower with it on. Only after I've been diving/swimming to give it a rinse. I'm not talking about a 10 minute steaming hot shower. Just a quick rinse to get seawater of myself as well as the watch.

Wraithier

19/6/16
Conditioner for hair needs to be left on hair 3-5 minutes before rinsing. Duh!
A watch will do, but a chrono is even better.

Shampoo is better! I go on first and clean the hair!

Conditioner is better! I leave the hair silky and smooth!

Oh, really, fool? Really!

Stop looking at me, swan!

Reactions: theREALgoat

Ralphy

SalesMod CodeName Duchess
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/7/15
Nebraska
Shampoo is better! I go on first and clean the hair!

Conditioner is better! I leave the hair silky and smooth!

Oh, really, fool? Really!

Stop looking at me, swan!

OfXBT.gif

palaufreak

Renowned Member
7/7/16
I shower with my watch on because I wash it with my soap, everyday. Like to keep it clean.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

lokki1980

3/1/19
It could last for many years if you do regular maintenance check. As any other "non replica" watch :)

benjinh0

24/10/17
Well its up to you, but if I'm buying a superduper, all singing, all dancing, dive watch, I'd feel abit daft if its scared of doing the dishes! I grease the seals on all my own watches, its a fairly simple job and I've never had one let me down, and I've swam in them all.
527742d5c16584852a680847957e3cd8.jpg
0d3ed904dd9b77c7279ed35af7b232d6.jpg
207961f69fbb75a0743e8a719ce7a0e4.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Reactions: vcappp