Announcement

Collapse

Please Consider Supporting RWI Today!

We depend on Supporter & Patron subscriptions to pay the bills. Please consider supporting RWI TODAY, CLICK HERE for info on how to subscribe.
See more
See less

What is the lifespan of a replica?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really does vary. I've got a really cheap movement sub (forget the movement name) an a2836 gmt master and a milgauss with the 3131 clone movement, touch wood after 6+ months of use all are fine so far.

Comment

I do shower with my reps occasionally. I like to look at the watch when the water splashes onto it and whisper: "there you are, withstanding the fury of the elements like a true legend! go on! GO ON YOU LITTLE STEEL HERO!", and clap furiously after. It works wonders.

Comment

I'm dubious about showering with a watch as well.
        Mainly for fear of limescales.
        The water hardness where I live is such that limescales built up quickly.
        I have to descale my shower often enough to avoid taking a delicate piece of metal with me in there.
        On holidays I wear a relatively cheap but very sturdy Citizen divewatch that goes with me into the pool perhaps, but when I go scuba diving I would even take that off.
        Dive computers are what you wear down there, any watch is just waste of wrist space IMO.
        Other than showing off, there is really no point in wearing an expensive dive watch when swimming, even less so when scuba diving.
        Just my two cents though...

Comment

Question: how regular would regular service on a replica watch be?
          Every year? Couple of years? More than that?

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzmex View Post
            I think every few years if serviced by a competent watchsmith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzmex View Post
              Asian clone movements are unpredictable. It could last 15 years without a service, or it could break in ten minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss99 View Post
                Seriously, why would anyone shower with a watch on? I have never understood this.
                Besides the fact that even Rolex recommend their watches are not exposed to hot water or steam you end up with a watch that has soap scum build up in every nook and cranny of the band. And what is the point? do you need to tell the time in the shower?
                Legit question, OPs. Not yours. I have encountered this situation, and though you question what seems to be something a bit "crazy", the question is definitely valid. Personal scenarios:
                (1) you wore the watch in seawater, or in the pool. Then you need to clean yourself up in the shower before wearing your normal clothes. Why leave the watch out to accumulate salt or chlorine?
                (2) you are deeply engrossed in whatever you are doing. Then you hear a loud reproach "get little X out of the shower/bath, we are already late". Not a time to question or hesitate for removing a stupid watch. That gets either dunked in water, or showered

Comment

I did a lot of submerging activities in a river, sea, swimming pools and it's been working so far for the Rolex Milgauss.

Comment

Originally posted by Hanifcd View Post
                    I did a lot of submerging activities in a river, sea, swimming pools and it's been working so far for the Rolex Milgauss.
                    “Submerging activities?” Underwater demolitions?
                    Tucker seems to be fallen into a pit of ignorance - Cavemax

But in this underworld of rep watches,it is clear that the normal thing is to play with the luck of the Seller's roulette - j.m.mozos

I wanted this omega so bad :/
                    I opened the box and got a star wars shampoo...cookienc10

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker View Post

“Submerging activities?” Underwater demolitions?
                      It was late and I can’t find the word for it ????. Basically the watch has been in the water a lot.

Sent from the RWI App

Comment

Working...
                      X