• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

buying watch from Australia?

cicciopasticcio

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/1/19
Melbourne
Hi everyone,

this is my second post after looking on this website as an un-registered user for a long time. Hopefully I'm allowed to ask this question since is my second post?

I'm planning to finally purchase a replica from Melbourne, Australia and I was wondering if anyone else have had any problems with customs/ with importing them from overseas?

I know that the border is pretty 'thought' so what are the chance that they will stop them? Any feedback from anyone here in Melbourne or from Australia?

Thank you so much

Reactions: Mister Pink

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Hi everyone,

this is my second post after looking on this website as an un-registered user for a long time. Hopefully I'm allowed to ask this question since is my second post?

I'm planning to finally purchase a replica from Melbourne, Australia and I was wondering if anyone else have had any problems with customs/ with importing them from overseas?

I know that the border is pretty 'thought' so what are the chance that they will stop them? Any feedback from anyone here in Melbourne or from Australia?

Thank you so much

I’ve purchased 3-4 watches from Australia to CONUS with no problem. You didn’t indicate where you are located. We have quite a few Australian members who should be able to provide you with some help. Welcome to RWI and good luck.

Ifcowscouldfly

Supporter
Certified
25/3/17
Australia
I've shipped a number of watches out of Sydney Australia to US, Europe and Asia with no problem at all.

NDJ2

22/11/16
Australia
I've shipped watches from Perth Australia to USA, Canada, UK, and Greece with no probs at all.

Big Baz

26/1/17
Ummmm. If I'm reading the OP's post correctly I think he's wanting to bring a watch into Australia, rather than sourcing a watch from Australia. If I'm correct on that ....

I'm downunder but it's pretty much the same rules throughout the world. Replica watches ... counterfeit watches. .. fake watches ( call them what you like ) breach copyright laws and if the customs folk decide that's what's in your parcel, they are not being meanies or party poopers by seizing the item - they are just doing what they are contracted to do.

Some of the seizure risk depends on what declaration your TD or M2M seller makes on the little green sticker or Consignment Note. If the declaration says 'Replica Swiss Watch' or anything similar, the customs folks may take a very keen interest and you may get a 'Please explain' correspondence. If the TD or M2M seller is a bit more creative with the declaration , 'Repair item' or similar, it may quietly slip through. But that of course means your seller is telling fibs which is breaking a whole new set of rules .... and I'm not condoning that, I'm just saying that I understand it happens.

Best for the OP to familiarise themselves with customs and copyright rules and decide if this is a good hobby for them personally . The risk of a telling off from the customs people and missing out on your parcel may not bother some folk. A prosecution for breaches of customs regulations might sit a bit more uncomfortably on some folks CVs' though (an unlikely outcome but not impossible) .

Pessimistically yours, Baz
​​​​​​

Reactions: NDJ2

NDJ2

22/11/16
Australia
If the OP wants to bring watches into Australia then the answer is that many of us have done so many times with no problem. But as a previous poster wrote, what is written on the declaration is very important for a successful delivery.

Sirwatchalot

Known Member
16/11/16
I’ve purchased 4 pieces and had them shipped to Melbourne with zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cicciopasticcio

20/1/19
Melbourne
thank you all for taking the time to reply and share your experience. My bad, maybe there was a misunderstanding, I will be buying from overseas to get deliver it here in Australia.

As you all said, the chances are so low that it’s just worth it give it a try.

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15
Australian customs dgaf about replica watches, never heard anyone say any different

Schuintt

8/9/18
I've had no issues ordering reps from China into Melbourne. Give it a shot, I say.

Pj2009

Horology Curious
20/3/19
This is great to hear as I’ve just purchased my first watch from PureTime and didn’t even think about customs issues until my GF mentioned.

Thank you OP, I’ve piggiebacked off your question but appreciate everyone’s input also to set my mind at ease