• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

DHL China to UK, is it safe?

dadog13

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
I am arranging a triangle shipping by myself and I was wondering if it is safe to use DHL for a shipment from China to UK? Is some other method safer, EMS?
Customs issues? Customs taxes? Etc..

I’m looking forward hearing a feedback from UK members about their experiences and opinions.

Tnx in advance.

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
DHL in my experience is the best for the UK. For some odd reasons most TDs only offers EMS now and with Parcel Force UK as their delivery partner it can be beyond terrible. For example I had a watch coming in once and according to the online tracking it was delivered to my work (we have a 24hr post room). However when I went to postal office the guy said a lot of delivery drivers will fake sign the packaged was delivered and deliver the package later (so they can meet their SLA).

Another issue is VAT, sometimes you might get charge VAT, but parcel force will first send you a card (so you have to pay online first) in day 1, you pay the item (usually you don't received the card until late afternoon) then you have to wait until day 3 before you get your item as you missed the window for their delivery route in day 1 and your package gets allocated in day 2. I live near in North West London where there's a depot near Camden, so I personally had went and pay for the item and collect it from the depot in day 2 just to get my item quicker. From what I been told DHL will release your item but will send you the VAT bill after so you can get your item much quicker.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: rj999

dadog13

Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
philwongnz tnx for the detailed answer..
looking forward to read someone else experience(s)..

Watch-addict

Renowned Member
23/5/15
U.K
I've had many parcels from m2m sales all over the world by many postal firms and Customs doesn't seem to be an issue.

jst

Known Member
Patron
Certified
4/12/18
Rural Staffordshire, UK
The EMS & Parcel force partnership seems pretty ropey, there are too many variables to go wrong, for instance in one of my orders, the TD hadn't filled out my work address correctly resulting in the parcel being undelivered, it took a while to track it back down again and during this time I had to visit the depot a couple of times, mildly frustrating.

If they offer it, stick with an 'all in one' delivery co. such as DHL as it'll be in their care throughout its journey with fewer opportunities for things to go wrong.

ssouthall6

10/10/13
I've never had a problem with any of them.

However any that use parcel force as their delivery partner at the other end are like dicing with death. At least China Post you know it's coming through Royal Mail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rj999

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
EMS will end up with Parcel Force.

I know Sead stopped using DHL to the UK as people were getting hit with £70/80 taxes to pay - so he said.

I prefer Parcelforce. If you’re not in they’ll leave it with a neighbour, whereas DHL will either just leave it on your doorstep or return it to a depot in the middle of nowhere. At least Parcelforce will leave it at your local post office / news agent if your neighbours are out as well.

My understanding is if you decide the courrier instead of the TD, anything that goes wrong is on you - the TD wont cover the loss.

dadog13

Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
Guys thanks for your feedback about this. Everything was just fine until muiramas wrote about his findings about this :D LOL

So far I had only one package sent like this (to a friend of mine in UK) and the TD used EMS China which was handed to Parcelforce in UK and everything went smooth. Lately I have been reading some
negative comments about Parcelforce and this is why I brought this question regarding DHL to the forum and experienced UK members.