• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Baby Oil/Spa Treatment safe for Gold Plating?

Stratoblaster

Known Member
29/9/16
Hello Fellow Watch Enthusiasts,

I have my first 2 tone being shipped soon, and have been told has "robust gold plating".
(I do have a Movado that is 2 tone...shhhhhh....'PVD' Coating)

I've done the baby oil/spa treatment on a couple of stiff and 'clanky' rep bracelets in the past with good results. (They've always been Stainless Steel)
(Ironically I have a 2 tone Seiko 'Day Date' from the 80's in which plating is still holding up fine. )

Question: Has anyone ever done the spa treatment on a gold plated watch?
Any reactions?

Thanks in advance!

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
I have done it to some reps and they turned out incredible. However the case initially appeared dull in comparison to the bracelet after the spa treatment. I am no expert on chemistry though but I have had nothing untoward happen that I could see. However I have never seen a post that recommends this. I just experimented myself. Hopefully someone who understands the effect or non effect, oil has on gold plating, chimes in.

Reactions: vcappp

Stratoblaster

Known Member
29/9/16
I have done it to some reps and they turned out incredible. However the case initially appeared dull in comparison to the bracelet after the spa treatment. I am no expert on chemistry though but I have had nothing untoward happen that I could see. However I have never seen a post that recommends this. I just experimented myself. Hopefully someone who understands the effect or non effect, oil has on gold plating, chimes in.

Ok, thanks. I actually ordered a spare 'center plated' Oyster link for a short bracelet, some time back.
Well, I can tell you from experience that an ultrasonic cleaner was not kind to the plating.... I found a couple of various older plated links sitting in baby oil now. No noticeable effects...

After 'rediscovering' a Seiko Day Date (from late 80's) with 2 tone (gold plated center) Jubilee bracelet, I;m still surprised at how well the plating has held.

Last edited:

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
I just want to point out that oil that might hang around within the links of your bracelet, unless you clean it perfectly. The oil will attract dust, skin, grime, they’ll all fuse together in the hidden crevasses of your links. It’ll turn into a paste with granules that just grinds away at the metal between your band links.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
I just want to point out that oil that might hang around within the links of your bracelet, unless you clean it perfectly. The oil will attract dust, skin, grime, they’ll all fuse together in the hidden crevasses of your links. It’ll turn into a paste with granules that just grinds away at the metal between your band links.

I could not agree more. I know you like the sonic cleaner method but I prefer scrubbing like a devil with a toothbrush. OP remember after every spa treatment the watch needs to be thoroughly cleaned.

Reactions: vcappp and Maron

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
I could not agree more. I know you like the sonic cleaner method but I prefer scrubbing like a devil with a toothbrush. OP remember after every spa treatment the watch needs to be thoroughly cleaned.

I like the toothbrush method as well.

Stratoblaster

Known Member
29/9/16
I like the toothbrush method as well.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm still undecided on baby oil. (Does plating react with oil?)
In past, I have however *always* followed up with warm, slightly soapy water and soft toothbrush, thoroughly scrubbing. I guess I'm just kinda anticipating the need due to Jubilee bracelet.
May be a non-issue, but my main concern would be plating vs. oil.

Stratoblaster

Known Member
29/9/16

I *always* use soft toothbrush afterwards. The one time that I did try ultrasonic with plating, the plating did not fare well on one particular link. (Basically ate it right off)

sgt.njoy

M2M Camper
Certified
2/10/18
Illinois
Thanks for the thoughts. I'm still undecided on baby oil. (Does plating react with oil?)
In past, I have however *always* followed up with warm, slightly soapy water and soft toothbrush, thoroughly scrubbing. I guess I'm just kinda anticipating the need due to Jubilee bracelet.
May be a non-issue, but my main concern would be plating vs. oil.

So did you end up oil/spa treatment on your two tone? If so, can you please share your experience.

Stratoblaster

Known Member
29/9/16
I actually did do it. I experimented with spare link first. I can say do *not* use a heated ultrasonic cleaner on plating. I had a bracelet that went from 2 tone to SS in a matter of minutes...(at least that was my experience.)

The 2 tone that I recently did was a 2 tone DJ from Narikaa. I left in baggie of baby oil for about an hour or so, and then really thorough scrubbing with soft toothbrush and dish detergent.
(Ironically, needed to order a new Jubilee bracelet w/ logo from Dhgate, as screws stripped in original bracelet.)
Maybe it's all in my head, but feels great!

sgt.njoy

M2M Camper
Certified
2/10/18
Illinois
I actually did do it. I experimented with spare link first. I can say do *not* use a heated ultrasonic cleaner on plating. I had a bracelet that went from 2 tone to SS in a matter of minutes...(at least that was my experience.)

The 2 tone that I recently did was a 2 tone DJ from Narikaa. I left in baggie of baby oil for about an hour or so, and then really thorough scrubbing with soft toothbrush and dish detergent.
(Ironically, needed to order a new Jubilee bracelet w/ logo from Dhgate, as screws stripped in original bracelet.)
Maybe it's all in my head, but feels great!

I see, thank you for sharing your experiment!

Reactions: Stratoblaster