• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How do you keep your ladies in line??

matty1938

Supporter
Certified
16/5/16
So, serious question, how is everyone convincing their missus that 1 watch is just not acceptable?

In in my head I need a dive watch, a gmt watch, a pilot watch, a dress watch and a military style/pvd or ceramic watch, in her head I need to wind it in as I have a phone for the time :confused:

NewbyUK

16/3/17
Haha great question! I keep reminding my wife that although I want to spend money on a replica watch it’s better that than spend a LOT more money on a genuine watch!!! That usually shuts her up pretty quickly.

Reactions: patrickseacoast

matty1938

Supporter
Certified
16/5/16
True true, plus I did sell my omega so I could redecorate and get all new furniture for the kids when we were a little tighter for money, I will get a gen again but I love so many watches it makes sense to top up with reps lol!

rek0001

1/1/13
You work hard for your money right? You should be able to spend disposable income on what makes you happy.

Tell her it's a hobby, and a relatively affordable one at that. There are other more expensive hobbies you could be indulging in.

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
you could

A) tell her "I'm a real man I make my own money so I spend it how I like grrrrr"
B) lie
C) rub her purchases in her face
D) sit down with her. Tell her about the hobby and what it means to you. How you budget for it. Ask her about her hobbies so that you two can relate. Together, come to an understanding and a compromise that leaves you both feeling validated.
E) see A, B, C

KraftMac

Bluebox Champ
5/4/14
Central TX
There are much more expensive hobbies for sure. At least this is one that you get daily use out of most of your purchases.

My wife puts up with my expensive hobbies pretty well, all bills are paid and we aren't struggling. It's extra money, so why not have a little fun with it? I rarely say no to anything she wants to buy so it's not like I have all the cool toys etc. She recently has gotten into hand lettering, calligraphy, and a few other hobbies on her own that I've bought expensive supplies without question. For a while when I was buying lots of pricey Coral/Fish for my reef tank, I was giving her the same $$ in cash for her little slush fund that I was spending on my stuff. That was a good way to keep my own spending in check.

As far as getting several watches? YES! And the easiest way I've found to make her not worry about the cost is telling her about the M2M sales on here. As long as you keep your watches in decent condition, you should be able to recoup 70%+? of your initial investment should you need/want to sell. Of course if you beat or mod the crap out of them and nobody else wants what you've done you won't get it back. But for the most part it seems like we should be able to sell that watch you paid $400 including shipping for $300 easy in good shape. Not very many other hobbies that you don't lose value on.

Last edited:

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
Don’t tell her. She won’t know the difference between them. Just don’t put them all in the same place or let her see your watchbox.

Same with her shoes. If you didn’t see them all together would you know how many pairs she had?

Reactions: elchino

PlastikMan

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
3/8/17
I buy my watches and keep them in the watch box for a while till I actually wear them. When she asks and if she asks (usually doesn’t notice) I say ‘what this old thing? Have it for a while now....

Reactions: Tompa

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
All in a drawer, face up band down, that’s the way I roll!
Sorry thought this was a thread in how we store our ladies.......

I've gotten burned over Cheryl Tiegs,
Blown up for Raquel Welch.
But when I wind up in the hay it's only hay, Hey Hey

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
Northeast USA and Shenzhen, China
I usually tell her I could be going out to a local bar drinking instead of buying Reps. If that doesn’t work I remind her my watches cost less that her shoes. That usually kills the discussion till my next watch arrives. She can spot the box from China from 20 yards or meters. When she goes shopping for shoes I just say ... yes dear.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: leo6929

mcnut

Horology Curious
12/2/18
West coast Canada
Sometimes she smiles and asks:"How many more watches are you going to get?". I ask right back:" I love you too, sweetie. How many more pair of shoes are you going to buy?". Eye roll on my part. She has a closet full of shoes. Some have not been worn for years. So at that point, it is a stalemate.

My watch collection is up to about two dozen. Then I tell her:" I have more watches than I will ever need, but not anywhere near as many as I want." :)

ethersphynx

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/12/18
" I have more watches than I will ever need, but not anywhere near as many as I want." :)
Like a boss! :punk:

I'm one of the lucky folks who gets support from better half on this topic so I'm basking in the sunshine as far as watches go...

ethersphynx

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/12/18
What you have there my friend is a unicorn, you should donate your wife to science for studying lol

LoL! I hear you my friend. I'm sure it doesn't hurt that I pay all the other bills too :). Maybe if I slip up on some payments, I'll get my reckoning :evil:... but here's hoping the lord continues to help me indulge in this hobby
giphy.gif

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
I bring her in to the hobby, show her why I like it. Sometimes she gets bored and doesn't ask, but will pay attention every once in awhile so we can have a nice discussion about what I enjoy. I also do the same for her. We are adults. We love and respect each other.

Reactions: KraftMac

Tompa

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
I buy my watches and keep them in the watch box for a while till I actually wear them. When she asks and if she asks (usually doesn’t notice) I say ‘what this old thing? Have it for a while now....

Haha same here????

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk