• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What rep would you wear to an interview?

cicciopasticcio

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/1/19
Melbourne
@diverdown60 I laughed loud! This thread is so good.

I remember when a good friend of mine was starting his videography business, back then he was 22yo and the business was growing, he bought his first second hand gen rolex after saving for a long time. The first thing he told me was that since he started wearing it to meeting, clients was start to consider him less of a “kid” and more as an adult.

But obviously I wouldn’t wear a wrapped gold two tone submariner to get a job at the supermarket

Reactions: leo6929

BillyStJohn1984

9/1/19
Madison, WI
No one will notice. I've been wearing my ARF Hulk to work for a week and not one notice. 99% of people cannot tell what watch you're wearing unless they are an inch away from it to read the name on the dial....and unless it says Rolex, they prolly haven't heard of the watch maker anyway.

Reactions: cicciopasticcio

Luxuracer

Renowned Member
The last time I was interviewed for a job was 1990. I can't even remember which watch I worn. It maybe was a Citizen.
Since then I interviewed and hired hundreds of people. Never notice nor care which watches they worn, just how they dressed and their body-language.

Nobody really care or notice which watch you worn ... unless you are in sales, then maybe 1% of your clients will look at your watch.

Reactions: leo6929

sjpadams

Known Member
14/1/19
Wearing a rep into an AD is strictly verboten, more so gloating about it here. But wearing it to a job interview, and then getting the megabuck offer, or getting called and booted out, can be disclosed if one feels comfortable enough with that. Tales of this sort would be nice to hear ... not pure fiction, but embellished is just fine :)

I am so sad I look at what the interviewer was wearing. He had an Explorer 2 and I wanted to tell him about puretime ...

Sent from the RWI App

Pietjebel

23/5/15
I stopped wearing Rolexes at work because it’s always the same shit wth stares and questions if it’s fake... I wear my IWCs, Glashutte, JLC and nobody even notices

Got the same here, wearing the PAM all day.

Sent from iPhone

lokki1980

3/1/19
I dunno, most IT guys I know (including myself) hate Apple with a fiery passion. Wearing an iWatch to an interview with half the guys I know would almost be putting yourself at a disadvantage.

I agree with you if we walk about ITs whom just starting or moving along the career path to upper positions, here you'll see a lot Android/Google OS based watches. Why? Affordable cost. But when you talk with high ranked managers, you find Apple iWatches. May differ from country to country.

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
I am one of the hiring managers at where I work. TBH, I never pay attention to any candidate's watch or jewelry. Most of the time, it's covered by the candidate's jacket/suit anyway. If I notice the candidate's watch, I would compliment it anyway whether it is a Canal St Sub or TC V7 Sub or a gen Sub.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, if I were the candidate, I would wear what common peasants wear to show humbleness or down to earth; like Apple watch or other low key watch.

Reactions: lokki1980

sjpadams

Known Member
14/1/19
I dunno, most IT guys I know (including myself) hate Apple with a fiery passion. Wearing an iWatch to an interview with half the guys I know would almost be putting yourself at a disadvantage.

V good point .. now if Python did watches :) ..

Sent from the RWI App

Watching92

19/7/18
UK
Something as subtle as possible really, unbeknownst to me my ex boss was a rolex enthusiast and fortunately I didn't wear my rep to work or I would of been called out straight away

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Hard to say, but I'd probably wear my 116610 LN V6S 3135 Franken... or maybe my 16610 LN Franken (gen crystal/insert/dial/hands/DW/crown) - I think the latter one especially speaks of understated old school elegance. I'm a woman, and a doc - and at work (I wear scrubs and a white coat) I have worn both LNs as well as my 116610 LV Hulk, too. I live in SF, so there's a good chance some rich techie has seen it and knows it's a rep. Don't care - if they asked if it was a rep, I'd say yes. My value is pretty clear in what I do, not the watch I wear. I just happen to love watches.

So far, the ONLY comment I have ever had from a patient was when I was wearing the 16610 LN. At the end of a visit - my patient said these words, quietly and politely - "Nice watch!" They were spoken by a recently retired pro football player (Falcons), who was attending training sessions for other teams in the playoffs leading up to the Super Bowl.

I said: "Thanks!"

Last edited:
Reactions: LT_UTC and leo6929

batman007

Known Member
13/2/18
i wouldn't even called apple watch, 'watch' ... this is just a expensive and useless toy for moron

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Towards end of Feb, I have some meetings ~~interviews, and I wanted to wear this PP Calatrava. Ordered it before the end of past year, and after delays with bitcoin and after TD shipped it, took more than 3 weeks to receive. Well, here's the pic upon receipt.

tDhDa.jpg

Me thinks that even if Jeff Bozos wore it, or even if his newly divorced wife (the richest woman on earth when finalized), people would think it is a fake, with the free floating rectangle. Let alone a humble upscale peasant wearing it. So, instead of an "affordability" rank of 20k, will have to go to battle with a rank of 5-7k. Should see how that progresses :)