• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What rep would you wear to an interview?

Zack Morris

I'm Pretty Popular
27/5/10
Oregon
I think if you are passionate about watches you can wear what you want. I wore a gen vintage Sub to my last interview and got the job. But I’ve been obsessed with watches since I was a child and have an Archie Luxury-sized problem.

Non-watch people won’t notice it anyway unless you wear a Day-Date. I think I’d be mindful of the size, because if you are wearing a suit, you probably don’t want to wear anything bigger than a 5 digit Sub. I’d probably advise against gold (you could get away with a JLC or a Cartier tank in gold or rose gold if it fits your personality). I’d never wear a ceramic Sub or Breitling or PAM to an interview.

As someone who has been a hiring manager in the past, people like passion, and people like someone who is interesting (and even a bit eccentric). Honestly, by the time a hiring committee has to deal with 6 people in one day, the candidates start to blur together. So that rose gold Reverso could be something that sticks in their minds to identify you. “Oh yeah that one guy, dude with the nice watch, he seemed pretty cool.” That may be far-fetched but it’s possible. I’m all for modesty in the right circumstances, but I like to come in as someone who is looking for the right fit, not someone who is desperate for a gig. If you don’t have the power of confidence to come in dressed exquisitely (even if it’s your only nice outfit) then maybe err on the side of caution. A suit is already an abnormally formal thing for someone to wear, so there’s no reason to hide a high end watch if it’s tasteful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyStJohn1984

sunnydale

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/8/09
I have read that people are more likely to upgrade to supersize meals at mcMcDonald's if you wear your Lebron at the desk. It is all about the looks. If you want a link to the study, send me a pm.

I would not care if I had more expensive watch at job interview than the boss, if it is problem for him/her, the place is not for me anyway. I am a CEO and could not care less if the sales guys are driving more expensive cars then mine, wearing nice watches, earning 2x what I earn, just bring the fuc*ing money in! Finding a good sales guy seem to be the hardest part in this equation, not the watch you wear...

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
I would consider wearing a Daytona, or a PP Calatrava.

Now, my perspective is from a guy who has never even worn a watch during his entire adulthood. However, for the past say 1-2 years, I am a wearer, how that happened is attributable to the apple watch and this forum, and is a subject matter of a different discussion.

As a general perception, would a Daytona be much more low key than a Sub, or whatever else model Rolex produces with the round lumed hour markers, amongst watch enthusiasts?

Michael1988

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/2/17
I'd prob wear my AP and doubt that any interviewer would notice, and if they did, I'd use it as a talking point and might even reveal that it's a rep

Repwatcher01

25/8/18
To me, the rule for reps at an interview is the same as the rule for gens: classy, not flashy. Leave the all-gold AP at home, wear the Baume & Mercier instead. And definitely no rolex, real or fake.

patrickseacoast

Renowned Member
12/12/14
Charleston SC
Are you serious?! Wouldn’t you want to put those broke bitches in their place from day one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always. Unless you’re a contractor like me and you’re meeting a purchase manager to overbid a job 40%. Luminox first meeting. Then played by ear here jn Charleston. Seems to work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Maron

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go
I would consider wearing a Daytona, or a PP Calatrava.

Now, my perspective is from a guy who has never even worn a watch during his entire adulthood. However, for the past say 1-2 years, I am a wearer, how that happened is attributable to the apple watch and this forum, and is a subject matter of a different discussion.

As a general perception, would a Daytona be much more low key than a Sub, or whatever else model Rolex produces with the round lumed hour markers, amongst watch enthusiasts?

The only way you're pulling off a Daytona or Calatrava is if you're wearing a Brioni suit, John Varvatos italian boots, and driving something north of $125K lol.

A Submariner is much more lowkey than a Daytona.

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
The only way you're pulling off a Daytona or Calatrava is if you're wearing a Brioni suit, John Varvatos italian boots, and driving something north of $125K lol.

How so? A Daytona or Calatrava is about 20k while submariner is about 10k. The price difference is only about 2x, while the recognition difference might be 10x or even 100x.

I have been wearing the Noob white dial daytona w. working chonno for over 2-3 weeks now. Not a glance at all, let alone a second glance. The reason I am wearing it is it is performing superbly after I managed to regulate it. Only slow about 30s over that period! It was QC'd at +8s/d but actually ran like +15s/d when I got it.

If I wear the hulk or the sub I at least get some second glances, but maybe it is because I wear those on NATO straps.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
I have yet to see anyone who even notices, much less cares, about a watch someone else is wearing. That being said, I'd still go with any Rolex or my IWC 7 day Portuguese! :)

DonPatrizio

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
18/11/17
I would wear my Citizen Ecodrive and leave the reps out of the office.

CosmoKat

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
9/1/19
United Kingdom
I would definitely take a Hublot Big Bang Gold Ceramic 44mm to an interview. I'm not sure if that would help anything with regards to the interview but it would definitely look amazing with a smart outfit ;)

Cheeps

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
24/11/18

A used Brioni suit in good condition is around $500 on eBay. If you want nice shoes with it (id go for santoni any day over John Varvatos), you can find them brand new from last season for around $350.

Regarding the car: if you live in a big city (in Germany at least), going by car is most of the time slower and inconvenient compare to public transport. Many investment bankers I know don’t even own a car.

Reactions: nalomb

sketchAG

19/1/19
Canada, eh
it can depend on what sort of job you're interviewing for, but personally, I wouldn't, I'd wear a watch, but not a rep - too many things could go wrong