• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Reliability .... 2836 vs 3135 clone ....

Big Baz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/1/17
HI there,

Baz here. News years greetings to all !

I'm a long-term gen Rolex owner ..... lots of 5513s', 1675s' in particular and a few others have come and gone over the years ..... they were almost affordable when I started 20 years back :)

Unlike a few gen. owners , I've never subscribed to the 'fake watches are for fake people' theory and have really enjoyed the rep. scene since jumping on board a couple of years ago. Have met some great people and have picked up a few nice reps including a cool Natas built Pam. homage and a lovely vintage Tudor Sub rep. from Mr Higgins, that each get a lot of wrist time . I've also enjoyed seeing some splendid mod work on the forum pages .... and some shitty mod work .... but it's all good fun.

Current status .... I'm retiring the gen 16600 SeaDweller that's been my faithful workhorse for many years and am now seeking out a 116610LN rep. to be my daily driver. My gen. owner background greatly influences what I fancy in a rep. and that extends to how the movement looks.

The V9 116610LN with the SH3135 movement is really calling out to me. Looks so darn close to gen (outside and inside) that it's a bit scary really. But am I setting myself up for a fall with what some people regard to be the problematic 3135 clone movement ?. I'm competent enough for basic watch-smith work , can grease and lube, can swap dials and hands, can do a full movement swap ..... the latter is easy and cheap for a 2836 powered rep. ..... not so easy if a 3135 clone movement fails. My long-suffering watchmaker who takes on what I can't do won't touch reps so I'm on my own if I drop $500 on a nice 116610 Sub rep. and it kaks itself a month after it arrives.

Burning question .... I'd welcome comment from rep. fans with personal experience of the new generation SH3135 clone movement. Are the reliability issues I'm reading about just isolated incidences or does the SH3135 clone movement have potential to be a pain in the ass ? Please add a comment or PM me. Any advice is welcome !

Hope I've picked the right section to post in and that my topic is a good fit for this fine forum. And yes, I have researched before throwing my question out there. So ... the SH3135 clone movement .... can I live with it or is the robust and well-proven 2836 ..... that looks horribly odd in a Rolex case ..... a much more sensible option ?

Easy-peasie and thanks in advance , Baz

Last edited:

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Are you aware that VRF has just released a 116610 model in both LN and LV form, with a "new" VR3135 movement, which seems, at first blush, to be a improved version of the SH3135 movement (better shock system, etc.) It has not been out long enough to know for sure. If you are not dead-set on a NoobV9, I would encourage you to search recent threads about this version....

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
2836 is a more reliable and cost effective option. The SH3135 is decent and has the advantage of high compatibility with genuine components if repairs are needed, although costs to repair are higher. I'd avoid the VR3135 until a watchsmith has broken one down and verified compatibility, otherwise you'll potentially be looking at a similar situation to the SA3135 which is basically a throw away.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
I always take the ETA clones over 3135 clones. Biggest reason, parts are readily available and the movements are reliable...since I service my own, they will last my lifetime. But, I have to say, reading about the new VR3135 has peaked my interest. I haven't picked up a Rolex in a while and now I'm seriously thinking about a new VRF!

Madcap

Known Member
2/10/17
having bought a ARF DSSD with SH3135, i can attest to the headaches of getting it serviced or even looked at, i had problems with quick setting the date and it finally shit itself when it tried to set the time and as OP mentioned my long suffering watch smith was cursing and swearing when i brought it in to be fixed. In hindsight id still take an ETA based movement for ease of servicing

Reactions: wisedennis

2fake4u

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/9/16
Both are clones so both will have issues. You can get parts easily for both the 2836 and sh3135 and anyone that has ever serviced a gen 3135 will have no problems with the sh3135. The SA3135 is crap and is hard to find parts for.

i prefer the sh3135 if Im going to be adding gen parts. if not frankening and just wearing as is, its a toss up.

Reactions: Maron

Big Baz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/1/17
Thanks crew. That gives me some food for thought. Most appreciated.

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
I bought four SH3135 watches last year, and only one still runs.
Anyone know who in CONUS can service SH3135?