• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Expectations..

Watchfan69

Horology Curious
9/1/19
Hello everyone.. New here(joined yesterday) however a week ago I got my first Rep watch. While very much impressed with what I got for the price. That being said the watch has a few flaws..
1. The applied 12 o’clock triangle is crooked slightly
2. The capture ring has a smudge mark at the 3o’clock( hard to notice but it’s there)
3. The bezel action is way too light turns effortlessly using just my thumb.
4. The lug width is narrower than what is should be on the real deal.
All these were noticed after I had unwrapped the protcetive plastic.

So my question should I expect more my $160? Maybe this is a silly question but this is my first rep watch so I just want to know the thoughts of the experts.

Thanks
Rich

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
Welcome to RWI, Rich.

first of all a picture or the reference of the watch and them a description of the rep factory would be helpful to tell you if you can expect „something“ for your money or even paid too much and were propably ripped off - what i hope is not the case ;)

then you have to keep in mind that a rep is a rep and not the real deal - for the mentioned „flaws“ are the QC pictures you get from almost every TD befor they send you the watch. So you could have avoid those issues if you got QC pictures. If not the answer is quite simple - live with it as it was little money compared to the high end reps in the 500-700$ price range.

Anyways - upload an image and the people here will tell you more :)

Watchfan69

Horology Curious
9/1/19
Thank you!

Ok sounds good I will post images tomorrow when I have time to snap a few. I did not request any QC pictures just placed the order and let it roll. Now I know better.

Thanks again and I look forward to this newly found hobby.

R.

dealerclocks

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
19/7/18
For $160 it does sound like you are getting what you paid for. While even the cheap reps are made pretty ok for someone new to the hobby, as you know there WILL be flaws. But these watches are a good way to gauge if you really like the watch anyways, and give you a beater you can wear daily.

Seeing that you already are looking out for flaws, I can assume that one day you will be buying the really high-end reps. Stick to the TD's, request for QC pictures, but always keep in mind that it is, after all, a rep, and there will still be flaws.

Welcome to the hobby!

Reactions: Danii

2fake4u

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/9/16
my guess is you paid $160 for a $5k+ watch copy.

take the time to read through the different sections to find the reps that are very accurate and go from there.

Then realize that even the actual gens have flaws as well and you will enjoy your reps for what they are, watches.

Reactions: BillyStJohn1984

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
There are great quality pieces out there but you have to do your homework. But remember, these are just $300-$400 watches (well...in your case $160). You are not going to find the quality control in the same price point of large watch company. Seiko and Orient sell automatics at these prices and have superb quality, the rep world is not even close.

Watchfan69

Horology Curious
9/1/19
There are great quality pieces out there but you have to do your homework. But remember, these are just $300-$400 watches (well...in your case $160). You are not going to find the quality control in the same price point of large watch company. Seiko and Orient sell automatics at these prices and have superb quality, the rep world is not even close.

Ok. I figured as much but wanted to make sure. So that being said finger prints, dust, misaligned indicies are very much regular occurances? I tried uploading an image of the watch but it failed during the process. Perhaps there is a size limit for images posted.

Rich

Last edited:

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
I have never seen fingerprints and dust on the dial side...misaligned indices certainly happen. I have also seen dirty movements in new reps.

Watchfan69

Horology Curious
9/1/19
dMYxf.jpg

Watchfan69

Horology Curious
9/1/19
Ok here is an image. Im sure a few other things are “off” but these are the flaws I see. Triangle not straight, the smudge mark on the capture ring, notice the S isn’t correct, and the micro etch at the 6 is a little bit off, and the bezel action if comically light. But not complaining just making observations. The crown is a little bit flaky to screw back in, have to be gentle. The rotor is pretty loud. At only $160 I think it’s not so bad and she keeps really good time. I have had it on the wrist for a week straight.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
You are getting exactly what you paid for.....maybe more.

Reactions: Watchfan69

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
Those faults point that you get a nice rep of 300$ for 160$ in my book..

Now you have to find a watchsmith that will work on a replica. Began with your nearest, ask with a smile and your watch hidden.

The triangle will allow you to correct its' place when you heat it close to 90 °C with a hair blower, if you are lucky.
The smudge can be wiped off or refreshed with the same gritt scotchbrite (looks like the green one but can be the red also).
Crystals are made to break the nerves of watchsmiths. Realigned in 3' or.. 5'.

A service is always recomented and you will enjoy your movement for long.
If you do that, have a set of gen hands if your watchsmith agrees about their measurments.

While you wait your watchsmith, dive the bracelet in warm baby oil and whipe it after 30'.
I use my bikes' chain lube with teflon on warm bracelet but i'm.. tough :joran:

I don't know if its your light conditions but the "DEEPSEA" has to be more green, closer to the color
that you use to point. Anyone that wears cardigans in your local static models shop will know what to do.

Welcome!

ps: next is the datewheel, you can find at ebay for 20$

Last edited:

Watchfan69

Horology Curious
9/1/19
You are getting exactly what you paid for.....maybe more.

Ok. Now I know what to expect. The seller has offered to take the watch back but I have not decided yet. I do like the watch and it’s my first rep. I actually ordered on a goof thinking I wouldn’t even see the watch so at $160 it was worth the risk. I’m glad it worked out. I seriously laughed( in a good way) when I unwrapped it. So I consider it a win so far. I will slowly add a few lower end reps soon then step up to the more $$ reps.

Rich

Watchfan69

Horology Curious
9/1/19
Those faults point that you get a nice rep of 300$ for 160$ in my book..

Now you have to find a watchsmith that will work on a replica. Began with your nearest, ask with a smile and your watch hidden.

The triangle will allow you to correct its' place when you heat it close to 90 °C with a hair blower, if you are lucky.
The smudge can be wiped off or refreshed with the same gritt scotchbrite (looks like the green one but can be the red also).
Crystals are made to break the nerves of watchsmiths. Realigned in 3' or.. 5'.

A service is always recomented and you will enjoy your movement for long.
If you do that, have a set of gen hands if your watchsmith agrees about their measurments.

While you wait your watchsmith, dive the bracelet in warm baby oil and whipe it after 30'.
I use my bikes' chain lube with teflon on warm bracelet but i'm.. tough :joran:

I don't know if its your light conditions but the "DEEPSEA" has to be more green, closer to the color
that you use to point. Anyone that wears cardigans in your local static models shop will know what to do.

Welcome!

ps: next is the datewheel, you can find at ebay for 20$

Great info thank you! I am not sure I will put forth the effort to correct the smudge and triangle to be honest. I might just do the baby oil on the bracelet thing though. The white balance was a bit off so I think the DEEPSEA is more yellow in the picuture but in real lift it is more green like my edit marks.
By your suggestions I gathering people buy reps and modify the crap out of them??

Rich

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
Great info thank you! I am not sure I will put forth the effort to correct the smudge and triangle to be honest. I might just do the baby oil on the bracelet thing though. The white balance was a bit off so I think the DEEPSEA is more yellow in the picuture but in real lift it is more green like my edit marks.
By your suggestions I gathering people buy reps and modify the crap out of them??

Rich

Has to do with what motivates you.
I like most of watches but i would wear a small percentance of them.
So my projects are often been motivated by the "completion" that i can achieve while i work as a hobbist and investing mostly
my time. This adds value to my watches for me .

I can't describe it better unfortunately. I can leave untouched an accurate (pretty close to gen) rep with quartz movement while
i fille the case of an expensive one or build from scratch a part that its not correct.

Recently i propose to a friend to glue a "shaved" (cutted teeths) gen date wheel on the existed one of his modern speedmaster.
For him was a risky, pricey procedure, for me a secure way to correct typography, possitioning and wheel depth with one mod.

Its a hobby and everyone mess with in his way.

Last rep editions are better leaving no room for big projects. Its easy to correct their small imperfections but sometimes cost much.
Depends the level of quality everyone feels that is enough to fullfil him.

rolex_submariner

Known Member
9/1/19
Ok. Now I know what to expect. The seller has offered to take the watch back but I have not decided yet. I do like the watch and it’s my first rep. I actually ordered on a goof thinking I wouldn’t even see the watch so at $160 it was worth the risk. I’m glad it worked out. I seriously laughed( in a good way) when I unwrapped it. So I consider it a win so far. I will slowly add a few lower end reps soon then step up to the more $$ reps.

Rich

Not that it is my business in your financials, but I in the past with watches in general have always spent less to have more and then regretted not just spending more to get one or two nice pieces. If a nice rep is what you want, you may want to just hold off and save and get a rep that is going for $450-$550 that will have very good quality control...instead of a few more at $150 range that you may have issue with.

Reactions: Watchfan69

Watchfan69

Horology Curious
9/1/19
Not that it is my business in your financials, but I in the past with watches in general have always spent less to have more and then regretted not just spending more to get one or two nice pieces. If a nice rep is what you want, you may want to just hold off and save and get a rep that is going for $450-$550 that will have very good quality control...instead of a few more at $150 range that you may have issue with.

Always enjoy the feedback and suggestions!! There are two or three watches that I like and the price just happens to be under $200 ????. As far as a higer-end rep I have not decided on brand or model at this point. Most likely another Sea Dweller or a Hulk perhaps. On a few waiting lists for a gen Hulk( wish me luck lol) but I don’t have my hopes up. Not to mention other genuine watches that are on my list. I’ll try to do better at posting images of the reps I purchase.

Rich.