• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Refinishing Tool/Machine

kp323

Renowned Member
1/3/15
I'm tired of using manual power with scotchbrite and cape cods to refinish/polish my reps. I think I'll spend some money on buying a Dremel or Benchtop buffer to refinish. I'm leaning towards a bench buffer for an even finish. Do any of you guys have experience with some amazon bench top buffers under $100? Any recommendations, suggestions or insights are greatly appreciated.

1. For bench top buffers, Am I ok with single speed buffers?
2. What is the difference between the ones with spindle and those that appear to use bolted pads
3. I've read that I need to get some different grit sizes for different grains. I tried looking for those pads at amazon but i couldn't find any. I saw some sand papers with different grit sizes, but not the wheels that appear to fit the machine.

Thanks!

kp323

Renowned Member
1/3/15
In case other people are interested, I found a bench grinder with flex shaft for $38 at harbor freight. So that solved my problem as its a bench top with a dremel extension. :)

Escapist

Looking Around
28/11/16
For those in the U.K. that are interested I picked up a 4 1/2 inch variable speed bench grinder/polisher with flexi-shaft for under £25 at Lidl. They don't constantly stock them but have had them several times in the last six months. Even came with a selection of dremmel type tools and polishing compound. Tbh for watch polishing it requires different wheels and compounds.

yosimiz

Known Member
11/8/12
In case other people are interested, I found a bench grinder with flex shaft for $38 at harbor freight. So that solved my problem as its a bench top with a dremel extension. :)

thats a nice solution for your problem, just keep in mind that mostly these grinders has high speed settings.
And for watchmaking you need to use more controllable speeds, depending on the application you will sometime go to 800 ish rpms.
if all you want to do is polish and buff you will be perfectly fine.

Reactions: rj999

kp323

Renowned Member
1/3/15
yosimiz Thanks! This one was the variable speed setting. I just don't know if it will go down to 800rpms slow.