• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

International Shipping

Autlnd

Renowned Member
19/7/10
Could someone help me out on best practices when shipping internationally? Thanks

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
Write broken watch, sport timer or toy watch on the custom form. The value should not be over $50.

Pack tightly and securly so it doesnt move around in the inside.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: vcappp

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
All of the above and be willing to pay/charge ~$30 for express shipping. It’s like first class — no one cares if someone dies in coach, but the flight attendants will give you a kidney at the front of the bird ...

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: nothingelse

Autlnd

Renowned Member
19/7/10
I'm being told that if it is called 'toy watch' and its steel they will open it. ..... it should be fine, right?

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
Dude, I would take these advices with a grain of salt.

Is the guy above whom stated you should declare “toy watch” valued at $50 going to replace your lost asset?

Otherwise I would not be giving such blanket advice. It’s not such a simple question to answer. It depends on what you are shipping, the value, whether you want insurance, what does the other party agree to, and whom among you is accepting the risks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Autlnd

Renowned Member
19/7/10
myself, buyer, taking risk. franken watch that is valuable, I just want to make sure it gets to me in one piece! ha

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
myself, buyer, taking risk. franken watch that is valuable, I just want to make sure it gets to me in one piece! ha

The safest way to make sure it gets to you is to declare it as a genuine item, declared at full value, and insured. The downside of that is paying duties and taxes at customs.

If you don’t want to pay the duties you can choose to lie about the contents, under declare the value, and not insure the watch. I’ve done this many times, as have others including the gentleman posters above.

BUT if you choose the latter method and the shipment is lost, you will lose everything.

What is the value of the watch? Shipping from and to?

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
My suggestion may not be for everyone, but that's what I would do to avoid customs issue. I learned it from couple TDs.

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
My suggestion may not be for everyone, but that's what I would do to avoid customs issue. I learned it from couple TDs.

Me too, I just want to make sure op understands the risks

Chillo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/12/18
If it is a 'used' or 'pre-worn' watch (s/h), then why not declare it as a watch being returned after servicing or repair, at a value that both parties are happy with...and then have it sent tracked and insured?

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
If it is a 'used' or 'pre-worn' watch (s/h), then why not declare it as a watch being returned after servicing or repair, at a value that both parties are happy with...and then have it sent tracked and insured?

Yes, that is a good idea. Although, The shipping cost will be expensive and they will likely charge you duties and taxes on the service cost