• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help me pick a wedding watch

Armcandy

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
19/12/15
CONUS
Gents,

Seeking some help with selecting a wedding watch. The wedding is in May in Mexico. I am having a custom Tux made that will be like the Bond tux in skyfall. That said im not open to a omega skyfall, i just like the tux (pictured below). Any recommendations? Thanks in advance for your help...i will be traveling the next two days so i might be delayed to respond.

I have pretty big wrist, about 7 3/4 inches. Most of my "daily" watches are 44mm+ (Pam, Ap, DSSD, etc)

https://imgur.com/a/XbwUNxM

Last edited:

Eagl3

Renowned Member
2/12/16
How big is your wrist?

Big wrist, I say IWC 5001/7 by ZF or YLF
Smaller wrist, a Rolex OP or DJ by arf/jf

Reactions: Armcandy

Adrenix

5/12/18
Don't wear a clip on bow tie. Some things should always be gen ;)

Have a great day and congratulations.

Kdawggy

Known Member
3/4/18
How big is your wrist?

Big wrist, I say IWC 5001/7 by ZF or YLF
Smaller wrist, a Rolex OP or DJ by arf/jf

Bracelets and chronos don't belong on a dress watch.

As for the OP, personally I'd go with the JLC Ultra-Thin Moon. Some might argue that a moonphase doesn't belong on a dress watch either, but it gives a little extra point of interest on an otherwise plain dial.

The new Patek Calatrava looks pretty decent, too.

Eagl3

Renowned Member
2/12/16
Bracelets and chronos don't belong on a dress watch.

As for the OP, personally I'd go with the JLC Ultra-Thin Moon. Some might argue that a moonphase doesn't belong on a dress watch either, but it gives a little extra point of interest on an otherwise plain dial.

The new Patek Calatrava looks pretty decent, too.

5001/7 isnt a Chrono....only complication it has is a power reserve...

​​

bicska

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/7/18
Not everyone's cup of tea, but I would consider a Franck Muller Casablanca (either black or white dial) for the tuxedo

Reactions: Rush and Armcandy

mgberns

Supporter
Certified
10/12/15
The funny part is..when I look at that tux, and if you're wearing a nice pair of black shoes...

I automatically think of the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms.

Dressy enough because of the polished surface, and that sailcloth strap is versatile enough when you take off your jacket and hit the dance floor and entertain, it's sporty.

Sure you can wear a traditional dress watch, but eh, that's not fun. And gold, meh, it can be a bit too gawdy. Fifty Fathoms ticks of dressy and spporty combined..

Armcandy

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
19/12/15
CONUS
You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for the ideas. You have given me some ideas to research. I was originally thinking the BC 50 fathoms, but am going to check some of these others out. I have all sport-y watches. The day may come that someone will need to think i am sophisticated.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Take a look at the Cartier Drive — a nice combination of dress watch with a sportier look. For black tie and the dance floor, I think it’s a can’t lose ...

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
The funny part is..when I look at that tux, and if you're wearing a nice pair of black shoes...

I automatically think of the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms.

Dressy enough because of the polished surface, and that sailcloth strap is versatile enough when you take off your jacket and hit the dance floor and entertain, it's sporty.

Sure you can wear a traditional dress watch, but eh, that's not fun. And gold, meh, it can be a bit too gawdy. Fifty Fathoms ticks of dressy and spporty combined..

This is a good answer. Probably next on my list to aquire. The FF is a sublime watch, bucket loads of class and totally under the radar. Makes a Rolex seem clunky and crass. And oh my god that domed saphire and bezel get on my wrist now.

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
Blue or white dial AP 15400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgberns

Supporter
Certified
10/12/15
If you're getting the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, I'd actually suggest an OEM strap. I forget if the cost is 250 or 350, it's one of those, it seems pricey, but that's really the only thing keeping the stock ZF Fifty Fathoms from being over the top. The aftermarket strap just doesn't have that sheen. It's pretty hard to capture on photos especially with low light, but in real life, you can see it, the flow of the sheen of the watch head to the strap makes it something really special..

IMG-20181217-142837869-2.jpg

The strap with the buckle attached is oem. This sheen actually makes it look more black and more premium in low light. The picture was taken with a flash to really capture what I'm speaking of. The other three straps are the replica quality straps that come from a variety of fifty fathom models.

Also, to note, if you're ordering the OEM strap, it's about a 2-3 week lead time. Or maybe both my orders for oem straps took that amount of time because I got the short length?

mgberns

Supporter
Certified
10/12/15
Also, keeping with the classy but sporty theme..another suggestion would be the Hubolt Big Bang SS model, black dial, steel bezel. The way it captures light on the case is just enough, and the dial being plain keeps it low keep. The looks of the chronographs tie in the sporty look well.