• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The obssession with loud rotors

bubblegummers

Known Member
15/12/18
Noticed that most members have an issue with loud rotors in Miyota movements. As an owner of a rep with Miyota and many gens with complications from different brands I'd like to chime in.

The most "silent" watch I have is probably a Rolex, can barely hear the rotor even when you hold it up to your ear. Most other gens have a somewhat audible rotor, and the Miyota isn't really that much louder than most of them.

I own a Swiss tourbillon- that has one hell of a loud rotor, WAY louder than a Miyota. So I thought mine was a lemon, and I went down to a boutique to check out a different piece. It's exactly the same- very loud. Also own a Swiss perpetual calendar, and I'd say the rotor is maybe nearly as loud as the Miyota, plus it feels as if the rotor is slightly off centre or heavy at the sides- normal with usual wearing, but if you shake it hard, you can feel the imbalance and the watch starts to wobble slightly. Both these watches are mainstream Swiss brands.

My point is, don't worry so much about rotor noise. It really isn't unusual for expensive gens to have it, so just relax and enjoy the pieces!

Jxwatch1

Supporter
Certified
3/10/18
To each his own and you have a good point mate. I notice to my gens and reps it varies. The sound varies as well. Theres a bearing sound and a gear sound. The bearing sound is tolerable but the gear squeeking is just unaacceptable for me.

Again, to each his own and only the satisfaction of the owner will be counted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vcappp

I'm Pretty Popular
20/6/18
Noticed that most members have an issue with loud rotors in Miyota movements. As an owner of a rep with Miyota and many gens with complications from different brands I'd like to chime in.

The most "silent" watch I have is probably a Rolex, can barely hear the rotor even when you hold it up to your ear. Most other gens have a somewhat audible rotor, and the Miyota isn't really that much louder than most of them.

I own a Swiss tourbillon- that has one hell of a loud rotor, WAY louder than a Miyota. So I thought mine was a lemon, and I went down to a boutique to check out a different piece. It's exactly the same- very loud. Also own a Swiss perpetual calendar, and I'd say the rotor is maybe nearly as loud as the Miyota, plus it feels as if the rotor is slightly off centre or heavy at the sides- normal with usual wearing, but if you shake it hard, you can feel the imbalance and the watch starts to wobble slightly. Both these watches are mainstream Swiss brands.

My point is, don't worry so much about rotor noise. It really isn't unusual for expensive gens to have it, so just relax and enjoy the pieces!

thanks for sharing your experience with genuine Swiss watch’s movement noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
Joking thread of the day. Miyotas are used because and only because they are dirt cheap, conducive to curtailing costs, not because they are noisy for good.

I originally wanted to post something about miyota but then decided not to. Kindly touch more gen stuff, especially the ones with bi-directional winding movements which are just used everywhere in high-end brands, before you believe something to be so genlike that you can't differentiate the rep from the gen.

Miyotas are good to you because you can't differentiate them, not because they are anywhere good or genlike. Uni-directional and progressive date change and you tell me it is close to SWISS gen. Bro, seriously?

Last edited:

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK
My gen CAL11 Breitling is quite audible, and has been since new, even though it has a micro rotor. I think the obsession arose because of the A7750s. Their one way rotor can be quite obtrusive when it's doing one of its wild reverse and uncontrolled spinnings. That's why I do lubricate mine. Having said that, my new AP Indigo has come with a very quiet rotor and doesn't need oil. Possibly new batches of A7750s have centre bearings with better and tighter tolerances.

dadog13

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
If it has “SWISS” written on it does not mean it’s actually a Swiss made watch. Can you please share the brand names of the watches (Swiss genuine) that you used to compare the loud rotors?

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
My friend let me tell you this, it's understandable if people that get a rolex rep would prefer to have their rotor silenced, exactly because rolex's movements are totally not audible (not all of them).
So the sound would be a tell, and the gears squeaking are obscene.
That's why i had my daytona's rotor silenced, because it didn't sound at all like my gen one, the sound was a joke

Reactions: vcappp

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
I originally wanted to post something about miyota but then decided not to. Kindly touch more gen stuff, especially the ones with bi-directional winding movements which are just used everywhere in high-end brands, before you believe something to be so genlike that you can't differentiate the rep from the gen.

Miyotas are good to you because you can't differentiate them, not because they are anywhere good or genlike. Uni-directional and progressive date change and you tell me it is close to SWISS gen. Bro, seriously?

WC800729

Known Member
Gold Patron
Certified
23/11/18
USA
That's why i had my daytona's rotor silenced, because it didn't sound at all like my gen one, the sound was a joke

How did you/smith completely silence the rotor? More than lubrication? Just curious if there is an “absolute” fix for loud rotors? Thanks.

macarone

Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
When I’m out driving around and hear my rotors, I get my brakes checked out!

I've gotten burned over Cheryl Tiegs,
Blown up for Raquel Welch.
But when I wind up in the hay it's only hay, Hey Hey

• Haha
Reactions: cotti-rottie

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
To each to their own, right....?
maybe some have bad hearing and couldn't care less and others are more sensitive and hate the obnoxious noises that come from within the miyota or 7750 movements. I have owned 40+ watches in the past 3 yrs about half rep and half genuine. I for one am done with miyota movements. Sorry, but no matter what anyone says about how good the movement is, all the noise just spoils it for me. I wind up not wearing the watch and I have done that too many times already with the miyota movements. I will not own another one

Alexccmeister

8/11/18
My gen Rolex GMT rotor is non audible. But the 3 reps I have, Omega Spectre, 300m Aqua Terra and Tudor GMT all have audible rotor.

Wrestleantares

Known Member
19/9/18
First, I admit to 2 things.

I am literally partially deaf (but I do hear almost perfectly out of my left ear).

I do not have a watch with a Miyota movement

I don't have any watches with audible rotor while on the wrist. I have one old ETA 2824-2 (1992) that has some audible rotor noise when off the wrist.

Thing is you guys have me scared to order a Tudor Pelagos with the 9015 - I feel like I am going to hear grinding noises everytime I move a muscle. Trying to make a decision as it has been my next likely rep purchase

Reactions: EstebanMcQueen

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
IMO, some reps with abnormally loud rotor noise becomes a concern for being annoying rather than a tell. I owned an ARF Daytona and its rotor (as part of the 7750 design) was extremely loud; its whirling could last 5 to 10 seconds at random moments.

Oh yeah... if you think loud rotor is bad, try loud ticking quartz clocks and watches instead. The Rolex Oysterquartz's extremely loud and pronounced ticking can drive some owners nuts and/or sleepless.

Last edited:

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
5/6/23
DE
I have a gen IW311717, well serviced, yet the rotor is loud especially when you shake it. I think this is normal.

NoInterview77

Horology Curious
20/8/22
Yeah I think for me the Miyotas in reps are a pretty big tell just because the free wheeling noise is so loud and noticeable. Rotor noise on 2824s and clone movements don’t bother me so much though. All movements have some amount of rotor noise.

Reactions: garlicknots