• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A few questions for those with large collections

Wildcatfan

13/2/18
The love of watches is worse than a heroin addiction. I own and have owned several gen watches but now most of these reps are just as good or better and less worry about damaging them. The mechanical and aesthetic detail in watches is fascinating to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Seefeld

Drifter

Renowned Member
31/10/17
2yrs later! Few gens mostly super reps and “The ones to have”. Don’t gamble, drug and whore free! She never really asked!
9d85fef4148c5a3016789d597141e41e.jpg
6773e4393686705de986b22ce510f650.jpg
7215cbca47afc2f30fe366c4c94f60c9.jpg
88c88309f8445812525d9ab2bcb60f36.jpg

I've gotten burned over Cheryl Tiegs,
Blown up for Raquel Welch.
But when I wind up in the hay it's only hay, Hey Hey
That's a sweet collection.. Bravo

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
2yrs later! Few gens mostly super reps and “The ones to have”. Don’t gamble, drug and whore free! She never really asked!
9d85fef4148c5a3016789d597141e41e.jpg
6773e4393686705de986b22ce510f650.jpg
7215cbca47afc2f30fe366c4c94f60c9.jpg
88c88309f8445812525d9ab2bcb60f36.jpg

I've gotten burned over Cheryl Tiegs,
Blown up for Raquel Welch.
But when I wind up in the hay it's only hay, Hey Hey

Who can spot the Gens? I can't, that much I know. Anyone have an opinion?

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
Northeast USA and Shenzhen, China
I have always bought Breitling Gens and 1 Breitling Rep in 2010 till I arrived at RWI in 2015. My wife doesn't understand the hunt for the best Rep. I just remind her I could be doing worse things with my time and money. If that doesn't work I bring up the "Shoes". I combine my woodworking hobby with my Rep hobby. I find Reps more fun than buying Gens. I have one watch box full, another will be full this month so I recently built 3 new watch boxes. The 3rd was to feed my addiction. I buy my watches one at a time as I find watches I like. I do my homework first then buy. I seem to always have something on order with my TD. I don't mind waiting months for some of the hard to get watches. I would never ship more than one at a time due to the risk. I have about 80 watches but have only lost one to Customs last month. It was my fault because I did not listen to my TD and shipped the watch EMS Express.

Sandman0209

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/11/11
I have always bought Breitling Gens and 1 Breitling Rep in 2010 till I arrived at RWI in 2015. My wife doesn't understand the hunt for the best Rep. I just remind her I could be doing worse things with my time and money. If that doesn't work I bring up the "Shoes". I combine my woodworking hobby with my Rep hobby. I find Reps more fun than buying Gens. I have one watch box full, another will be full this month so I recently built 3 new watch boxes. The 3rd was to feed my addiction. I buy my watches one at a time as I find watches I like. I do my homework first then buy. I seem to always have something on order with my TD. I don't mind waiting months for some of the hard to get watches. I would never ship more than one at a time due to the risk. I have about 80 watches but have only lost one to Customs last month. It was my fault because I did not listen to my TD and shipped the watch EMS Express.

Which watch winder units are you using? Have they been reliable?

I would love to build my own custom set up for a watch winder into my closet.

Retina

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
18/12/14
gave up counting long ago. i rotate watches from vintage builds and a $3 casio plastic watch daily. altho its been a problem trying to use bigger watches >42mm as of late, my wrist gets fatigue as I'm very used to small watches now

Taz71

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/6/16
Parts Unknown
OM
I do not have a 'large' collection ... comparing to some other members ... mine is a little over 70 reps.

When I first got into rep ... just over a year ago ... I bought one watch at a time from different TD to test them out. After that I ordered 3 watches at one time to save on shipping. And of course that not taking into account M2M purchases.

I worn gen watches all my life (couple Rolex and Omega) until late last year when I accidentally found RWI while researching for my next gen Omega. I never knew there are high quality reps. I thought all reps were like those I saw on Canal St. Which all the reps I bought I could have bought 2 luxury gen easily ... but what fun in that. This has became a hobby to me.

My wife knows about my rep watch hobby and fully supports it. "It is the safest and cheapest hobby that you ever picked up in your life!" ... was her own words.

Finally, if you think that this forum help you in your purchase(s), you should become a Supporter.

Best of luck

I have always dabled in watches always gens until I stumbled across RWI while shopping for a PAM 111 after purchasing my gen Montblanc 4810 Chrono. That Montblanc was the last gen I have bought since finding RWI. My wife doesn’t care what I do with my money, a close friend of ours asked her if she cared how much I spent on watches and she “Nope, we live comfortably, we don’t do without,I have my bags and shoes and he has watches and his Motorcycle “. My friends know that I have always sold,and swapped my watch inventory out so it’s no surprise to them when I’m wearing something new.
The big misconception many people have is that people care what you are wearing! Wear it for you, no one will notice your watch if you are just being you, and not bragging about your shit, that’s just douche anyway.
I keep about 12 reps and 8 gens that I have since locked away to protect them so my daughter can enjoy them later.
PS-My wife knows I buy reps, she doesn’t know which is which and doesn’t care enough to ask!
Enjoy the hobby

Reactions: Seefeld

2fake4u

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/9/16
Most of us tell our partners that our Gen watches are fake, so they don’t know what we really spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this guy gets it.

I buy a new piece when i find something I like for a great price. Could go months between purchases, could be days, it just depends.

You never can think about how much you have invested in your collection. Currently, i have significantly more gens than reps, and i have to stop myself from thinking about the high end watches i could buy if i just sold a few.

As for my SO knowing they are reps, ive had the convo with her several times about how much I have invested into my gen collection, and she has brought up buying good reps instead of the gens lol. It all depends on your financial priorities, and your financial freedom. If you can afford the gens, buy the ones that arent well repped, and save the well repped ones for reps.

Wrestleantares

Known Member
19/9/18
Not a big collection - 11 and only one rep but have had more than 50 watches that have passed through my hands. I would not find as much enjoyment buying a bunch at a time. I like to carefully pick whatever watch I am getting next (unless I am at an estate auction and then I will buy pretty much any mechanical watch and some quartz). I enjoy the research and decision making process almost as much as I do receiving the new watch itself. That is all part of the hobby for me.

Story regarding Estate Auctions:

About 20 years ago I attended an estate auction where on one of the many tables setup to display household goods, and other crap was a bowl - probably about 2 quarts - full of watch gears, cases, and even whole watches (sans bands). I bought the bowl of stuff for $5.00. Turned out that I pulled out 17 watches from the bowl that were in running condition. Bad news they were all ladies watches so none to add to my personal collection. Still, had fun playing (cleaning and prepping for sale) with the watches and made over $500 on the watches and parts.

Reactions: leo6929

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
One day, my wife was talking about going to a Chippendale's-type event with her coworker girlfriends. She asked me what I thought about it. I told her: I don't approve of you going, but I will support your decision.

She treats my watch hobby the same. Doesn't understand it, but supports me in it nonetheless.

When there is mutual trust and respect in each other on every level, there is no 'permission' and no 'fear'. Just communicate and be yourself.

Reactions: Taz71

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
Northeast USA and Shenzhen, China
Which watch winder units are you using? Have they been reliable?

I would love to build my own custom set up for a watch winder into my closet.

I am using Boxy winders. I have about 80 winders. Over the 2.5 years I have had one failure. I think they are reliable enough to keep using them. I am in so deep with this brand I can't change now. I have 40 more sitting in my office when I return from China next week. These will be used to complete my third watch box.

If you decided to build something similar let me know. I have all the critical dimensions. I wasn't careful to record the numbers on my first build. This time I kept good notes.

Reactions: leo6929

oldsteelframe

29/10/18
Since we are on the subject:
How do folks with large rep collections move house?
Especially if you relocate to a different country, what do you do with your cherished collection of 20,50,200(!!) replica watches?

oldsteelframe

29/10/18
....the angle I am wondering about:
Confiscation by customs.
Or worse...

Since I imagine it to be an uphill battle trying to convince any given border authority that I have no intention to professionally trade in counterfeit watches. Owning a single replica watch or two for personal use is legal. But 20...50...200?

Any experiences with this matter, anyone?