• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A maker talking about reps, making of parts, raids, and jail time.

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
The original thread was posted in Nov.23, 2018.

There are many pics and I am gonna post six (6) of them in two (2) posts in this thread and provide translation by myself. Be patient guys as I am providing service for free and I usually get paid for part-time translation lol

62a98e1238007339.jpg

Translation: This is my first time posting thread in this forum. I will fix what is improper and the admins hopefully don't ban me from this forum (this is a Chinese sports forum mainly discussing basketball and soccer.)

In the last a fews days I saw some posts about watches, gens and reps, on our forum. For it has been the 7th year from the day I entered this industry, I am motivated to inform you of something, primarily about replicas. I proposed objections in someone else's thread and was criticized harshly with a bunch of ignorant people sending me private messages saying that I was dead wrong about replicas, so I am writing to say that I have been in this industry for very long and I know this industry in details. People nowadays are admired merely for copying contents from other sources, while they are quite uneducated about the industry per se.

Originally, I was trained as a watchsmith and I amassed some capital working as a watchsmith. I fixed and serviced a variety of different brands, including the high-end ones such as Patek and AP. My father and I both worked as watchsmiths for decades in DongGuan city (a city in Guangdong province, near Guangzhou). I used the capital that I amassed to start a business in watch parts. The watches that we wear are like cars in that we can swap in new parts in case some parts are broken. If the original parts are acceptable, we fix them. If the original parts are not working anymore, we swap in new ones. Selling watch parts is a fun and stimulating business, far more interesting and lucrative than working as a watchsmith. However, I soon found out that many watch parts sellers are indeed smugglers, and the reason for them being smugglers is obvious. After that I shifted direction to watch making, or watch assembly. You know, Guangdong province, unlike many other provinces in mainland China, which have more strict laws and regulations governing copyright products, is the heaven for fake stuff for a reason. Guangdong as a whole for all kinds of replicas as long as there is a specific request. The sellers can obtain and sell anything at a relatively cheap price. The garages near Huangjiang (a place in Guangzhou city famous for car smugglers in the 2000s, raided hard afterwards) can easily convince car-owners with their aftermarket (fake indeed) parts. The Meibo plaza near Guangzhou railway station is the center for Chinese and Vietnamese cosmetics. Brands like SK-ii and Lancome and products like masks and essence can all be easily replicated. Baiyun market, as many of you may know, is the hub for fake bags and cloths, Mr. Hou (a famous stand-up comedian in China) visited Baiyun market lately, bought some apparently fake products, and was exposed online, but you can still find products of high quality there.

Back to topic, I, as a replica maker, can tell you directly that mostly all the replicas now are from the market located at the west railway station of Guangzhou and that about 70% of the needs in the global watch replica market are met here. You can find here low-quality stuff, high-end replicas, and those so-called swiss manufactured products that fooled many people. I am not only a seller here at the west station, but also a manufacturer, which means that I have my own factory. As many of you said, I should be called a maker.

112198dd8c902aff.jpg

Translation: There is no need for you to consult the history of Chinese replica-making. There is a repeated urban legend that in 1958 the Chinese government imported 100,000 machines to make watches and many of which ended up in rep industry. This statement is baseless and nonsensical. The best watchmakers in China are Seagull, Beijing, and Shanghai as they are protected by copyrights and supported by the government to some extent. The best high-end Chinese brand now is Fiyta as you can find this brand in Basel exhibition every year. The replica makers spread these type of urban legends simply in order to mystify their business and ask for more money from the buyer's wallet. I guess the government's actions can impact the whole watchmaking industy in China, but not much on the rep industry as it is but a small branch of the whole thing.

7ed66d96308c6615.jpg

The major factories that you can find online are not really there as they don't have their own factories. Some may buy some pre-owned genuine watches and replicate them with the help of many manufacturers, and the hands, cases, and straps are made by diverse manufacturers. They wanted to have one-step manufacturing but they actually can't. Many manufacturers don't do business with them. (he provided an example which I will not translate verbatim.) A friend of mine refused a large purchase order of Panerai straps placed by a maker. He refused because there is a risk of being caught and he as the owner of factory would forfeit much of his possession. The makers can only find some small workshops to work with instead of investing in manufacturing by themselves, why? because they don't want to get caught and sent to jail as well.

This industry is a mess as the insiders are all in a pool of muddy water. Many sellers are selling low-end reps at the price of high-end ones. Local Chinese are especially price-sensitive. If someone sells a Rolex sub at 3000 yuan and the other is claiming to sell the same product at 1500 yuan. The buyer would choose the one at 1500 yuan without hesitation, without knowing that he has been fooled and have lost 1400 yuan as the one sold to him was a very low-end one.

To be continued.

Last edited:

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Very interesting -- thanks for posting and looking forward to the next one!

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
95e7d4f81e1d9c26.jpg

Translation: These two pictures above (OP did not download and post here) should give you an image of what the case-set machine looks like. The cases made are like that in the second picture. There are finishing and brushing machines too which I did not include in my photos are the machines are terribly noisy. I always rush to finish my works as the factory is noisy. I am a person that cannot stand noise and I always require absolute isolation from any type of noise when I sleep at night. Nowadays the cost of manufacturing is really high. Years ago we could make a case-set using several hundreds of yuan (30~160 dollars), but a case-set of quality requires at least 1000 yuan of cost for each. Machines are more and more expensive too. A brushing/polishing machine costs more than 800,000 yuan (110,000 dollars). The Chinese CNC machines today are still not as good as the imported ones. The cases made by Chinese CNC machines are not as smooth and not as well finished. As many of you may know, many of the watches nowadays are made with special materials such as ceramic and forged carbon. The makers could not care less if it would hurt your machine or if your machine can work on these type of materials. They just want the results. They place a purchase order, then the factory must present the results by the deadline and at a cheap price. As a factory owner, I manufactured products for many of the major makers that many of you are familiar with. Each of them has a different standard. Taking Rolex submariner for example, I have made countless versions of Rolex sub and I still cannot figure out how they managed to sell so many versions of submariners. Selling these at 3000+ yuan (350-450 dollars)? I am sometimes envious.

c2eeedab52eeef6b.jpg

Translation: The ceramic ring on Rolex submariner, as you can see, have been made in more than 10 different variations for all kinds of factories. The cheapest of them costs 30 yuan (4.5 dollars) and the most expensive ones cost 550 yuan (80 dollars) each. Normally, if a maker placed an order with me asking for ceramic rings, I will not provide him with case-set, and I don't supply those who placed an order of case-set the ceramic rings. In general, I supply each maker with only one type of my products. It is not because I am cunning or greedy. It is because I need to sell my own products (replica watches) too to make a living. If I make everything at once for these makers, they may find other substitutes to replace me. There are many factories and workshops like the one I own, but everyone of them conceal their secrets. They typically hide their use of materials, color schemes, and watch layout safely, and they would never tell outsiders about these secrets. I always lock my drawings and design plans in my strongbox.

Taking the green ceramic ring on Rolex submariner for example, there is hardly any maker in the market can present you one that does not discolor over time. Needless to check out the rep reviews online regularly, I can tell you that even if you pay 2000 yuan (280 dollars) for a single ceramic ring made by rep makers, it cannot have the same color as the genuine ones do. Not to mentional there is a lumed pearl on it. A lot of low-end versions terribly suffer from the problem of discoloration, and the ring can even discolor after a few days of wearing. White would become like silver, and then the silver would become black. The one with a cost of 550 yuan is pricy because it does not have a major problem with discoloration. I sent another picture above including all kinds of outer bezels. These are the problematic ones, but they won't be discarded and will eventually be assembled and sold to the buyers as well. There are some people who specialized in selling this type of products in our market.

To be continued (Next the maker talks about the competition in detail. I will edit this tomorrow as now I have some work to do at hand)

12e432061edb5d21.jpg

Translation:

Last edited:

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
The maker then disclosed a bit about the police raids in response to people who asked him and the possible jail time for the makers in case they are caught.

GF: down and not expected to recover in near future. (info provided by others: 2 people who are brothers were caught on site with a very large amount of replicas in their inventory, the number is believed to be near an astonishing 20,000 pieces, so Repworld should stop thinking about the new FM vanguard by GF as there is no hope at all)

VRF: not optimistic. (info provided by others: it has been 3 weeks since the detention of one of their major dealers. Four people were detained, but VRF's maker was not detained)

MK: maker and a few of their staff were stalked by police officers last week, but they found out. They will play low key in the next a few weeks or month so as not to irritate the government.

Many makers were impacted. Status quo will remain for a period of time.

Jail time: usually 3-5 years in prison, literally in prison. Many would take over their work as this is a lucrative business.

Stoozak

6/2/15
Very interesting read. Thank you for the effort.

I think we often underestimate the risks associated with our hobby. It's easy to forget when we sit online in forums, order from a friendly dealer by email and then receive a box of goodies.

We're quick to quibble over a few usd or having to wait a few days.

WTB: Pam 438 v2 & Breitling Avenger Blackbird

LEBLANC

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
26/3/17
Very interesting thread! Thank you

btw I can only see the last one

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
Great read, but cannot see any pic. Thank you in any case, very imformative.

rm2016

Known Member
26/3/16
Great read. Having a small glimpse at the other side of our hobby. Ultimately, there are hard working people and real possibilities for prosecution, but the risk is worth the reward to some. Thankfully. Thanks for the post. 

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
Very interesting and educational read.
Thank you for that OP.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: macarone

llvicente1023

31/8/17
I wouldn’t wonder why the government are serious doing raids recently one after the other.

Collecting watches, especially reps, is highly addictive quite comparable to opium. Its a modern day opioid. You can buy an abundance of a solid high end rep for a tenth of a price.

In a massive manufacturing rate, it would seriously hurt the gen industry. Ive read somewhere on the forum that as almost all Panerai are NWBIG, there annual revenue dramatically decrease.

Either way, that won’t stop me from collecting watches as a hobby.

Great post OP! Nice read. Worth knowing whats going on in the other side.

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
20,000 beautiful 1:1 Breitling super reps.

How sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
20,000 beautiful 1:1 Breitling super reps.

How sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk