• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

When you parents need a general watch education, on Rolex!!!

eswilly

I'm Pretty Popular
2/11/14
Florida
These have never been serviced. I was with him when he bought them both at Hamilton Jewelers in Princeton NJ. I was 14 and now I’m 46!

Dad’s

5d77c31990227d3f1f0f5a9432f8ed52.jpg

Mom’s

2a76d088ab57ca655fc5cff6c3c393c5.jpg

Without incurring huge cost to RSC, does anyone have thoughts about servicing these vintage watches? South Florida, WPB area.
E.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeyT

Put Some Respect On My Name
11/8/14
@joeyT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Such an awesome set of parents you have and the fact that your moms is still working with the dial like that is amazing bro

60Steps

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/11/18
Classic watches and maybe that's why they demand the premium prices. Good to go for another 32 years post service

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
yup, these are full of memories and experiences !

i would not risk Rolex, they might swap parts like dial/hands increasing the cost of service and deflating the price of watches

Last edited:
Reactions: Danii

bubblegummers

Known Member
15/12/18
Other than mechanical work and a polish, what can be done with the stretch on the bracelets? I assume even after a comprehensive service the stretch is still gonna be there?

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Michael Young probably has the best reputation for restoring stretched bracelets http://www.classicwatchrepair.com/

Unbelievable! I just now searched Michael Young's name in the forum to see if anyone had experience with him. I got a used 93150 bracelet recently for $600 to go on my 1680 Red Sub. I just opened the package today. The bracelet has a LOT of stretch in it, but is otherwise very nice. I'd live with the stretch, but even with the clasp at the tightest setting and all removable links out, it is still too loose on my wrist and I can hear the clink of the links whenever I move my wrist which bugs me. I found MY's name on TRF and just sent him an inquiry. Looks like he charges $180 to fix the band, not bad considering what a newer one would cost.

The clasp code is "S5", which I think dates it to 1994 - so I guess after 25-26 years of use, what do I expect, right?

One other thought - the band looks to be polished. Is that correct for a vintage 1680 Red Sub or should it be a brushed finish? (It looked brushed to me in the original pictures but it was hard to tell and I didn't think to ask!)

Also - this has the incorrect endlinks - they are 501B endlinks instead of 580.

mDoNJ.jpg

mDO9W.jpg

Last edited:

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
Unbelievable! I just now searched Michael Young's name in the forum to see if anyone had experience with him. I got a used 93150 bracelet recently for $600 to go on my 1680 Red Sub. I just opened the package today. The bracelet has a LOT of stretch in it, but is otherwise very nice. I'd live with the stretch, but even with the clasp at the tightest setting and all removable links out, it is still too loose on my wrist and I can hear the clink of the links whenever I move my wrist which bugs me. I found MY's name on TRF and just sent him an inquiry. Looks like he charges $180 to fix the band, not bad considering what a newer one would cost.

The clasp code is "S5", which I think dates it to 1994 - so I guess after 25-26 years of use, what do I expect, right?

One other thought - the band looks to be polished. Is that correct for a vintage 1680 Red Sub or should it be a brushed finish? (It looked brushed to me in the original pictures but it was hard to tell and I didn't think to ask!)

mDoNJ.jpg

mDO9W.jpg

MY is the best. $180 sounds reasonable. Your bracelet should be brushed

magoohkg

I'm Pretty Popular
22/11/15
I've had some dealings with him a couple of times, he's very good and trustworthy.

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Actually, after more research, I found someone locally! www.rolliworks.com. I have gone through about 10 pages of his posts on TRF and his work is amaaaaazing! I think I'll take my bracelet to him and see what he says...

Finlee Jackson

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
17/10/20

If you need professional academic help with your homework, I advise you to pay attention to this service, which will help you very efficiently.
mDO9W.jpg

Absolutely not bad price and excellent quality. Just clean the bracelet with a brush and special solutions and everything will be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samabux