• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watch Tool Help!

PsychoTee16

-- Watchmaker --
Supporter
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/3/12
California - Bay Area
Hey Guys!

So I’ve been intereasted in getting into working on these watches for some time now, and I need some help on the “must haves” for a watchsmith. Brand recommendations are helpful as well!

- Screwdrivers of course : Was looking at Horotec and purchasing the 4 most used sizes.
- Tweezers
- Rodico
- Caseback Removal : Was thinking a ball type....not sure how well they work.
- Hand remover / setter
- Movement Holder
- Ultrasonic Cleaner
- Some good oils
- Loupe

Let me know if I’m missing something. Any help is greatly appreciated.

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK
Rodico? Personally I've found Blutack is just as good and a lot cheaper for removing bits of hair, dust etc. It's very easy to make a fine point.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
This is what has worked for me over the years:

- Screwdrivers of course : Was looking at Horotec and purchasing the 4 most used sizes. Buy the cheap $10 set on fleabay that comes with a base, then go to Esslinger and buy the Bergeon replacement SS blades...I have been doing this for years. If you get some drivers that are not drilled straight, just buy another $10 set until you get the handles you need.

- Tweezers: hands down...Dumont size 1 or 3C...nothing else comes close...don't waste your time...this is the single most item you will use the most

- Rodico.: must have

- Caseback Removal : Was thinking a ball type....not sure how well they work. sticky ball and Jax...worked for me on everything I have needed for years

- Hand remover / setter: I use Horotec clones...3 of them, die pushers set to hour, minute, second so I don't need to keep changing them out. I have an expensive Bergeon but never use it...just don't like it..as for hand removers, I like the levers and plastic sheet...gives me better control especially on polished dials...others like the kind that remove all hands at once. I think this is a matter of preference.

- Movement Holder: Bergeon clones work well, but the Bergeon is just made much better, but nothing wrong with clones to start with

- Ultrasonic Cleaner: started with a cheap $40 cleaner, now I have a better cleaner with heating element. the cheapo is use for rinse only...get fluids from Esslinger for best deal

- Some good oils: Moebius is top of the line, but I prefer Novastar. I get great performance from their oils at fraction of the cost of Moebius. You can use cheap oilers, but I have since moved to Bergeon which is by far better, but the cheapos will work for awhile.

- Loupe : I cannot use a loupe, I get bad eye fatigue...so I use a microscope

Pick up a Witschi timegrapher...see my signature how to interpret plots.

Pick up a dozen crappy Seiko movements from Ramon on fleabay (thewatchcollector) and learn how to tear apart and reassemble. you can get a dozen for ~$15...you can buy complete watches for the same price and learn how to do the complete watch....you will need a crystal press. I would suggest to stay away from the cheap presses...you can get decent ones from China on Ali Express, but they are pricey.

Get the cheap round hard plastic trays with covers for parts. Other types ok, but they collect microscopic debris easily...glass and stainless trays work well too (I have used old glass ashtrays as part trays as well)

get stainless steel tea infusers to use as parts cleaner holders...just take the tops off. I also dry parts after cleaning by hanging the parts cups over a small heater with a blower.

Be prepared to lose parts to the ether. jewel caps, keepers, springs, ect. I have a workspace that makes it easier to find lost.parts...you will just have to learn to get the right "touch" with the tweezers. That is why I recommend to start with Ramon's Seiko's...cheap and who cares if you lose parts. When you work on your first 7750 and a part flys off to the ether...well then, you have arrived after you buy another whole movement because you cannot source the part! :)

There is about 5 years worth of trial and error for you....

Last edited:

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK
You missed out rubber mini finger condoms, vital for making sure you don't add finger marks, grease and bits of dust to your work. I can't remember what the professionals call them:(

Reactions: ssouthall6

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
crystal press...if you need a witschi, I have some older ones for sale...

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19

- Screwdrivers of course : Was looking at Horotec and purchasing the 4 most used sizes. Buy the cheap $10 set on fleabay that comes with a base, then go to Esslinger and buy the Bergeon replacement SS blades...I have been doing this for years. If you get some drivers that are not drilled straight, just buy another $10 set until you get the handles you need.

- Tweezers: hands down...Dumont size 1 or 3C...nothing else comes close...don't waste your time...this is the single most item you will use the most

- Caseback Removal : Was thinking a ball type....not sure how well they work. sticky ball and Jax...worked for me on everything I have needed for years

- Hand remover / setter: I use Horotec clones...3 of them, die pushers set to hour, minute, second so I don't need to keep changing them out. I have an expensive Bergeon but never use it...just don't like it..as for hand removers, I like the levers and plastic sheet...gives me better control especially on polished dials...others like the kind that remove all hands at once. I think this is a matter of preference.

- Movement Holder: Bergeon clones work well, but the Bergeon is just made much better, but nothing wrong with clones to start with

- Ultrasonic Cleaner: started with a cheap $40 cleaner, now I have a better cleaner with heating element. the cheapo is use for rinse only...get fluids from Esslinger for best deal

- Some good oils: Moebius is top of the line, but I prefer Novastar. I get great performance from their oils at fraction of the cost of Moebius. You can use cheap oilers, but I have since moved to Bergeon which is by far better, but the cheapos will work for awhile.

Pick up a dozen crappy Seiko movements from Ramon on fleabay (thewatchcollector) and learn how to tear apart and reassemble. you can get a dozen for ~$15...you can buy complete watches for the same price and learn how to do the complete watch....you will need a crystal press. I would suggest to stay away from the cheap presses...you can get decent ones from China on Ali Express, but they are pricey.

Get the cheap round hard plastic trays with covers for parts. Other types ok, but they collect microscopic debris easily...glass and stainless trays work well too (I have used old glass ashtrays as part trays as well)

get stainless steel tea infusers to use as parts cleaner holders...just take the tops off. I also dry parts after cleaning by hanging the parts cups over a small heater with a blower.

Be prepared to lose parts to the ether. jewel caps, keepers, springs, ect. I have a workspace that makes it easier to find lost.parts...you will just have to learn to get the right "touch" with the tweezers. That is why I recommend to start with Ramon's Seiko's...cheap and who cares if you lose parts. When you work on your first 7750 and a part flys off to the ether...well then, you have arrived after you buy another whole movement because you cannot source the part! :)

Hey man. Thanks alot for such a detailed guide. Im getting into modding/servicing and repairs with basic brushing and polishing bracelets. Ive ordered a set of tools which i posted about yesterday before i send out the order.

The movement you mentioned on bay for dozen. I can find them. Can you please please send me a link where to buy those from

Thanks much!

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
the merchant "thewatchcollector" is what you want

Lock and loaded. Thanks man got em. Excited to try all this for the first time. Movements tools and some decen quality case and movements also on their way ????

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
Wow i had ordered paid and the ebay listing shows refunded and hasnt been refund. The listing is also removed

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Wow i had ordered paid and the ebay listing shows refunded and hasnt been refund. The listing is also removed

just contact eBay...I have spent thousands with Ramon, just got 3 more items last month. He is an honest guy...like I said, I have been buying parts from him for several years now.

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
just contact eBay...I have spent thousands with Ramon, just got 3 more items last month. He is an honest guy...like I said, I have been buying parts from him for several years now.

Resolved and Theyre on their way to me .. you think i could restore on or two of these? Or they’re completely dead. Like usable after restoration?

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Resolved and Theyre on their way to me .. you think i could restore on or two of these? Or they’re completely dead. Like usable after restoration?

When I first got into repair/mod/restoration I would buy $15 Seiko's from Ramon and fully restore them...I mean back to mint like new...new crystals, new gaskets, polished cases and fully rebuilt movements. I have done literally a hundred of them. I did so many, I started giving them away as xmas presents, now all my siblings and friends own so many watches they don't know what to do with them.

Right now, I seem to be collecting 51-2273 Citizen Divers...they are rare and it's really hard to get all the parts, but that watch is so worth it when its done....Ramon gets a few every now and then. I have even picked up some ETA movements occasionally from him. But you can't beat the price for the experience you will gain.

Here are a few of Ramon treasures brought back from the dead!

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
When I first got into repair/mod/restoration I would buy $15 Seiko's from Ramon and fully restore them...I mean back to mint like new...new crystals, new gaskets, polished cases and fully rebuilt movements. I have done literally a hundred of them. I did so many, I started giving them away as xmas presents, now all my siblings and friends own so many watches they don't know what to do with them.

Right now, I seem to be collecting 51-2273 Citizen Divers...they are rare and it's really hard to get all the parts, but that watch is so worth it when its done....Ramon gets a few every now and then. I have even picked up some ETA movements occasionally from him. But you can't beat the price for the experience you will gain.

Here are a few of Ramon treasures brought back from the dead!

Damn, you basically gave new life to these dead rusted movements. And also your able to wear wow. I’d be asking you for help along the route . But did you use just those movement parts or order some new ones to replace them as well? And rusting you cleaned through machines or just manual. I dont know how to clean those deads.
thanks man for your input. Cant express my gratitude for you as im just entering this hobby????

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
I restored the movements that were in the watch. I started with a cheapo ultrasonic cleaner and used mild solvents from the hardware store to clean everything. I also started with cheap eBay tools.

Once I got better at repair/restoration, I started into dive watches. After that, I started buying better equipment.

Have fun, and with those Ramon cheapies...don't worry about if you mess something up. Once you get the hang of it you'll be working on Reps no problem!

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19

Would Horotec blades work? They come in pack of 3 :D and which ultrasonic would you suggest? What about drying the movement. Do you air dry?