• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

water resistant

cma11en

Looking Around
25/10/18
Nevermind, I was under the impression this was a Forum for people to help one another. Now I realize it's just a place for tiny people who have no life to disrespect others in order to feel important.

My Bad....

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Nevermind, I was under the impression this was a Forum for people to help one another. Now I realize it's just a place for tiny people who have no life to disrespect others in order to feel important.

My Bad....

Don't forget....we also have very tiny penises.

Water resistance is hit or miss. You can't pay any attention to the TD claims in their sales ads as far as testing. You always need to get your rep tested before exposing it to water. Greasing the gaskets and tightening the case back will make many of these reps decent for swimming. Welcome to RWI and don't be so damn sensitive.

cma11en

Looking Around
25/10/18
Thank You Tucker, your restoring my hope in humanity.

I am obviously new to this but work in and around water so it is an important issue for me. I was just trying to glean wisdom from those that have gone ahead of me. I have spent literally hours looking at this forum and watches and still feel like a lost sheep.

Thank you again for your help.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Thank You Tucker, your restoring my hope in humanity.

I am obviously new to this but work in and around water so it is an important issue for me. I was just trying to glean wisdom from those that have gone ahead of me. I have spent literally hours looking at this forum and watches and still feel like a lost sheep.

Thank you again for your help.

You're welcome. If you want serious water resistance go with a Seiko diver. If you want a rep to wear around water get whatever you want and send it to a modder for waterproofing and testing.

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13

My Bad....
Don't be so sensitive dude. Every day new people join this forum and have the same (reasonable) questions. If everyone will open the same threads over and over again this forum will be useless.
So, welcome to RWI, please search before you open a new thread because chances are that you are not the only one who thought to ask this question.

BTW, I did the same thing when I joined.

auskip07

18/9/14
best bet is to remove the movement and test it There are no guarantees in this world. which explains the price vs gen.

L.P.13

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/1/16
France
I prefer no put reps on the water, but if you want to do this, best way is to waterproof test your watch by a watchsmith

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
best bet is to remove the movement and test it There are no guarantees in this world. which explains the price vs gen.

I see this advice occasionally, but I think it is bad advice. I understand that by taking the movement out you avoid damaging the movement if water gets in there, but you will then have to open the case to replace the movement and introduce the possibility for contamination.

if you test the watch correctly water should never enter the case even if it leaks like a sieve.

Reactions: vcappp

Cr7juv

I'm Pretty Popular
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
23/9/18
You're welcome. If you want serious water resistance go with a Seiko diver. If you want a rep to wear around water get whatever you want and send it to a modder for waterproofing and testing.
Tucker ?!?!?! You're not total A-hole at all to people. Glad to see a good side of you :)

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

auskip07

18/9/14
I see this advice occasionally, but I think it is bad advice. I understand that by taking the movement out you avoid damaging the movement if water gets in there, but you will then have to open the case to replace the movement and introduce the possibility for contamination.

if you test the watch correctly water should never enter the case even if it leaks like a sieve.

Since most dont have a device that will lower the watch into the water after pressureized that would make it hard to test correctly. of course my assumption is that people with the skill to remove their movement have enough sense to not throw it in the dirt. I guess you think differently

Reactions: vcappp

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Since most dont have a device that will lower the watch into the water after pressureized that would make it hard to test correctly. of course my assumption is that people with the skill to remove their movement have enough sense to not throw it in the dirt. I guess you think differently

Either test it properly or don't test it at all. It has nothing to do with throwing the watch in the dirt. Apparently you think I am a complete moron. I guess that is your opinion and you are allowed.

There are a whole bunch of ways a watch can go from not leaking to leaking including throwing it on the dirt. Here are a few of the many ways your advice fails: the case back does not get closed all the wau, O-Rings break, they get pinched, a piece of lint, a hair or an eyelash falls into the o-ring.

I stand by my earlier comments. Your advice is unsound. Either test the watch properly or don't bother at all.

auskip07

18/9/14
Either test it properly or don't test it at all. It has nothing to do with throwing the watch in the dirt. Apparently you think I am a complete moron. I guess that is your opinion and you are allowed.

There are a whole bunch of ways a watch can go from not leaking to leaking including throwing it on the dirt. Here are a few of the many ways your advice fails: the case back does not get closed all the wau, O-Rings break, they get pinched, a piece of lint, a hair or an eyelash falls into the o-ring.

I stand by my earlier comments. Your advice is unsound. Either test the watch properly or don't bother at all.

I dont think your a complete moron..... partial maybe.

still not seeing how someone who is competent will break and oring, or allow foreign object into the watch.

Step 1: provide yourself a clean work surface.... there half your excuses are no longer viabe. You're welcome.

Last edited:

Hooopen

Patron
Certified
7/10/18
Europe
All of my reps are waterproof. I shower with them, and sometimes even swim with them. However; You may be very unlucky and recieve a watch with bad gaskets etc. Source a rep friendly watchsmith and get it waterproofed if you are in doubt. It shouldn’t cost you more than 20 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk