• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A2836 and A2824 life expectancy

bazbaz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/7/18
How long should i expect to get from these movements?
I'm getting them serviced and will wear them in rotation one day a week?
I'd love to hear your experiences and any tips to help prolong the movement.
Thanks.

XpanzerX

I'm Pretty Popular
19/8/17
Theres not telling. I've seen reps that are 12yrs old going strong. Ive also seen reps shit the bed in a week.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: bazbaz and vcappp

bazbaz

20/7/18
Would i be better off changing it out for an ETA now instead of servicing it?

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
Do not overthink it. Use it, it is very likley it will last 3-5 years and you will be bored of it before you need anything ;)

If it breaks fix it. It is very cheap to do.

Reactions: bazbaz

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Personally I would just wear it till the movement starts malfunctioning. if and when it dies I would just have an ETA movement swapped in. In general those movements are very well made and usually last many years. I've only had one with mechanical issue occur after about 4 years.

bazbaz

20/7/18
Service it is so. Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

maikols

5/10/18
I have a Mekkanica watch made from germany with eta 2824-2 . It is run good from about 8 years . I use it 3/4 days a week .
Hope this help .
It is really precise

simplysimo

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
28/10/17
Wear them without think about it. The average of mine is 8 years.

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
Luck of the draw... I have some that lasts years, and a few that crap out after barely three months. The good thing is - replacement movement is readily available.

giztok

14/4/06
Mine is going for 10 years withouth service. Stil under 5 sec/day....

micksmith1987

Renowned Member
1/9/18
One year with A2836 and no problems at all. On the other hand, another watch with A2824 - sth is wrong with the date changing function after 3 months - but not sure if it is the movement or just the crown/tube.

bazbaz

20/7/18
Hope i got a 10 year one and not a 3 month one :p
Thanks Guys.

Yankindeez

21/3/19
USA
Personally I would just wear it till the movement starts malfunctioning. if and when it dies I would just have an ETA movement swapped in. In general those movements are very well made and usually last many years. I've only had one with mechanical issue occur after about 4 years.

Solid advice. How come you can't do that for the superclone movements though?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Solid advice. How come you can't do that for the superclone movements though?
Primary reason is cost. A 3135 Rolex movement will cost over $2k. The others like Omega co-axial and Panerai p.xxxx series are virtually impossible to find, and they have not been verified to be compatible with the"superclone" movements. Besides the Rolex superclone movements, the others like the VSF superclone Omega and panerai movements are not 1:1 compatible. In fact, the VSF superclone Omega movement does not even a co-axial escapement.

Yankindeez

21/3/19
USA
Primary reason is cost. A 3135 Rolex movement will cost over $2k. The others like Omega co-axial and Panerai p.xxxx series are virtually impossible to find, and they have not been verified to be compatible with the"superclone" movements. Besides the Rolex superclone movements, the others like the VSF superclone Omega and panerai movements are not 1:1 compatible. In fact, the VSF superclone Omega movement does not even a co-axial escapement.

So I take it it's not possible to replace a superclone movement with an ETA? So the Asian ETA clones are actual clones? I guess the term "clone" gets thrown around so much it starts to lose meaning in the rep world so I don't know when it's an actual clone or just a lookalike

Last edited:

Wrestleantares

Known Member
19/9/18
They can last years or days. I wear it until it dies or needs a good service. Then put in a Gen.

Wrestleantares

Known Member
19/9/18
Oh and the couple I have 2813's in I just swap out as they go - they generally don't last as long and are DIRT cheap.