• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Re-Gold Plating a fading watch.

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
I was gifted this very nice YG Rolex. I love it. However the watch need a re-plating job to really pop as intended. Do anyone on this forum offer this service?
I see they sell kits on eBay but I would rather the job be done by someone with experience as its a discontinued piece and not a throwaway.

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
Please share the process and results. I might be also be interested in replating.

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
Please share the process and results. I might be also be interested in replating.

I have reached out to Johnny Depp and is waiting reply. If it’s a no go I will reach out to Sponge.

Reactions: csthe

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Those cheap kits on eBay are pretty useless, the solutions are weak and the power source is all wrong. A decent kit begins at around 500 bucks.

Reactions: johnlogan

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
Any jewellery shop will provide this service for ~10$ / square inch
You can choose the type of gold - color that you need and they apply it in even microns to the piece.

Reactions: vcappp

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
Any jewellery shop will provide this service for ~10$ / square inch
You can choose the type of gold - color that you need and they apply it in even microns to the piece.

I never heard that before. I will drop by one and ask!

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
Plating is very popular practice in jewlery making.
In older shops they do it mostly inhouse, newer shops tend to have a "partner" that does platings for other shops.
More experienced and focused in my opinion.

If you can provide the parts dissasebled and clean they will assume that you know what you need and they will treat you like a "hobbist - craftman".

in any metal plating the surface that you see is the base metals' surface, layers of plated metals doesn't have filler capabilities to correct - hide scraches, etc.
If you need to correct, polish or brush anything, has to be done before the plating.

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
Plating is very popular practice in jewlery making.
In older shops they do it mostly inhouse, newer shops tend to have a "partner" that does platings for other shops.
More experienced and focused in my opinion.

If you can provide the parts dissasebled and clean they will assume that you know what you need and they will treat you like a "hobbist - craftman".

in any metal plating the surface that you see is the base metals' surface, layers of plated metals doesn't have filler capabilities to correct - hide scraches, etc.
If you need to correct, polish or brush anything, has to be done before the plating.

Thanks, I’m leaving the office now to investigate what a jeweler up the street has to offer.

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
I stopped by 2 x jewelers and both declined the job. Both stating that the gold would rub off in no time. That it would not stick to the steel.
I have reached out to Sponge.

WatchCool90210

20/1/17
please keep updated.

sponge could fare well as i ,and it seems, a number of other users are interested in the service.

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
I stopped by 2 x jewelers and both declined the job. Both stating that the gold would rub off in no time. That it would not stick to the steel.
I have reached out to Sponge.
If you can, take some pictures before shipping. So we can see before VS after of the process

Reactions: johnlogan