• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Moisture under crystal .

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Own a ZF Tudor Black Bay it has come in contact with a small amount of water, a splash on the crystal .Obviously as waterproof as a sponge ( That's why i laugh when i read threads , just purchased an Arf Submariner can i take it diving LOL) . The water was quickly wiped off , however have now noticed a have a small amount of condensation under the crystal . Anybody got suggestions on how to clear ? Many thanks in advance ?

Waspy

Renowned Member
18/8/14
Wiltshire
The water will disappear eventually but if you value the watch I would get it serviced as soon as I could. Water and watch movements is not a good mix.

Kdawggy

Known Member
3/4/18
The water will disappear eventually but if you value the watch I would get it serviced as soon as I could. Water and watch movements is not a good mix.

Yeah, especially if there's any danger it was salt water (sea water, pasta cooking water etc). Metal really doesn't like salt water.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17

Cheers Waspy .I own lots of watches including gens so understand the water and movement comment .However it is a $300 fake watch (with delivery) , so i was wondering if anybody had some home DIY methods .Never had this happen to a watch before ,it's a tiny amount of condensation . I have been told take off the case back and place a pouch of silica on movement ?

Waspy

Renowned Member
18/8/14
Wiltshire
Cheers Waspy .I own lots of watches including gens so understand the water and movement comment .However it is a $300 fake watch (with delivery) , so i was wondering if anybody had some home DIY methods .Never had this happen to a watch before ,it's a tiny amount of condensation . I have been told take off the case back and place a pouch of silica on movement ?

Well that sounds like good advice. It also fairly easy (on some watches) to remove the stem and then the whole movement, dial and hands in one piece. Depends how confident you are, what tools you have etc.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
My skills don't /aren't capable of any of that .I was hoping to be honest there was something i could do quickly without having to send it to somebody etc .To be honest the amont of water that went on it , i doubt the watch would survive a good rain shower LOL.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
unscrew the caseback, and put it in a ziplock bag with a load of desiccant pouches / silica gel.

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
take off the caseback, let the watch dry in the air on the heating, then get is serviced as quick as possible..., disassembled, it can be cleaned in isopropanol to get rid of all the water, oiled, regulated

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
take off the caseback, let the watch dry in the air on the heating, then get is serviced as quick as possible..., disassembled, it can be cleaned in isopropanol to get rid of all the water, oiled, regulated

Sounds expensive? Might be the cost of buying another fake watch ? .Also hard to find a UK watchsmith on the forums .The one who is always recommended usually puts me off when i contact him .

Last edited: