• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Underwhelming experience with Gens

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
I’ve handled many Rolexes but don’t get what’s the big deal of the gen movements. Can someone explain?

ETAWatchlover

5/7/16
Gen movements are more reliable even though I question it when I can cheaply service a sh3135 and have a reliable movement for the price of only one spare part for a gen movement on the second hand market

d3xophen

Renowned Member
15/9/18
It’s good but it’s not perfect. I think all of the details are close enough for me not to worry. I think it’s the best if you don’t want to do any mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Color also close to GEN? DW also?

DSSDBrooklyn

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/8/18
New York
i just bought a gen Rolex Oyster Perpetual in Silver dial 36mm with oyster bracelet.
- fit and finish is the same as the JF Version. Watch was replicated so well its actually scary. It took my several hours of analysis to notice subtle differences on this otherwise simple watch. I can only imagine the 904l release of the 114300.

Tusubasa

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
8/9/18
U.K.
Reliability is relative to me, I wouldn't call it reliable if I'm being ripped off just to service my watch and have to wait for weeks, some of my reps keeps better time than my gen Rolexes, and it would could me little money even if I've had to change the whole movement and that would be done in a few hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Reps are reps, assembled randomly from bins populated with random parts.

Rep dials and hands (finish and lume, etc), case and bracelet finish, movement reliability all suck when compared to gen.

I say this from experience owning both. Bracelets and straps present the most obvious quality distinction in my experience.

What should one expect when paying 1/10 or 1/30 the retail price of the gen?

I get that gens are jewelry, sold with corresponding profit margins. Gens have QC issues, too, but are more easily resolved in my experience. I live in a major metropolitan area and can't find rep-friendly watch smith.

Gens FTW, IMHO.

kenni243

Horology Curious
31/8/18
My Noob V9 is no where near my friend genuine sub finish lol...But from the distance you can not tell the difference...Unless you have the watch side by side then you can start spotting the differences. My friend was amazed with the finish and he kept saying Wow, wow...lol. He did not think replica was this good.

ajhaddy

Horology Curious
22/9/18
I would echo a previous poster and say that the finish on omegas has impressed me in person, over reps. I've handled gen and rep speedmasters and seamasters, and felt a hint of that ephemeral "there's just something about the gen" feeling. With my gen Aqua Terra as well, though I've never handled a rep Aqua Terra. Though I may be biased being something of an omega fan, for better or for worse. Rolex, I can't say I've been unimpressed, but maybe the reps I've handled have just been more refined. Really I have to strain to keep aware of a difference. I recall feeling somewhat underwhelmed at handling gen Breitlings, even though I admire their designs more often than not.

Reactions: leo6929

Thatwatchguy

Supporter
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
I would echo a previous poster and say that the finish on omegas has impressed me in person, over reps. I've handled gen and rep speedmasters and seamasters, and felt a hint of that ephemeral "there's just something about the gen" feeling. With my gen Aqua Terra as well, though I've never handled a rep Aqua Terra. Though I may be biased being something of an omega fan, for better or for worse. Rolex, I can't say I've been unimpressed, but maybe the reps I've handled have just been more refined. Really I have to strain to keep aware of a difference. I recall feeling somewhat underwhelmed at handling gen Breitlings, even though I admire their designs more often than not.

Why don’t you care to share a picture of your gen AT, would be good for comparison.

efthimis

Mythical Poster
20/6/15
My experience is different. My gen sub c is miles ahead of the noob/bk v7 I sold. My ARF dj franken is nowhere near the level of gen either

Exactly that! Please live with a genuine Rolex for some time and then compare, I have owned several genuine Rolex the last couple of years and now see myself moving away from reps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro