• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Underwhelming experience with Gens

ETAWatchlover

5/7/16
Hello,
today I stepped my foot for the first time into a Rolex AD and tried some watches on .And my experience was pretty underwhelming . People praise Rolex watches like some kind of God but to me my noob v7,5 Dssd d blue has a better lug fitment then the gen yachtmaster I tried on where was a big visable gap .The bracelets tightness in between each link was good but other than that .....meh .
what are your experiences or expectations with Gens

Revolper

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/7/18
When I bought a 1989 Rolex Date for my wife I didn’t have the feeling that it’s built superior to the reps I own either. But then again it’s a 1989 and quality might have improved since then.
Obviously I can’t discriminate a good vintage rep from a gen just by the feel of it which i would have thought prior to buying the gen.

As the guy above me I think my Speedy is absolutely on another level quality-wise. If that transfers to contemporary Rolexes there’s definately a difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: hartdoc

SadProfessor

1/11/17
I had the chance to compare my arf 904l hulk with a gen LN on Saturday. I tried both on and the only thing that was glaringly different was the crystal. Excuse the pun.

Fit and finish were very damn close. I don’t see where the extra £5k is going to be honest.

I’ve tried a few gen Panerai and I know why they are basically all NWBIG.

The 5 digit subs and watches with the pressed bracelets are not great at all. The bracelets feel flimsy and cheap.

The Tudor Pelagos I own I have tried on gens a few times and there is no difference whatsoever with the fit and finish.

Don’t be underwhelmed, be excited that you can own basically the same thing for 1/10th the price.

Kane1506

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/9/18
I have had 2 gen Rolex’s a tt 36mm datejust and a 40mm tt yachmaster and was underwhelmed with both of I’m being honest. I have a gmt master on the way from pure time and will be comparing with my friends tt gmt to see how I feel about buying another gen

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
My experience is different. My gen sub c is miles ahead of the noob/bk v7 I sold. My ARF dj franken is nowhere near the level of gen either

RTL2

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/9/18
The difference is in the minor detail. You won't find sharp edges on a Rolex bracelet or clasp, and the movement will be working within chronometer standards in 50 years if you service it. Is it worth paying 20 X more for this? Not in my opinion.

ryannkc

Horology Curious
13/3/13
I can say ive own a 2017 116610 gen and have had several reps. The org watch is still way above a rep. They are getting closer and I am only a few days away from a BK V9, but Ive seen Bluefish watch review both and when you own the org. Youll know the diff as soon as it's in the hand. Outside of that cant tell- One of my close friends got a ARF sub and I couldnt tell it was not the gen from having lunch with him. Now later when he let me hold it... I knew. The bracelet was a dead give away. The crown felt like it had sand in it and the bezel was rocking.

Well see if I change my mind with the BK V9, and Im looking foward to the Angus ARF.

Reactions: The Rod and Nivka

d3xophen

Renowned Member
15/9/18
SadProfessor ,Hi
I am thinking to buy hulk. Is ARF color close or same to gen on dial and bezel?
how about DW font?

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
I can say ive own a 2017 116610 gen and have had several reps. The org watch is still way above a rep. They are getting closer and I am only a few days away from a BK V9, but Ive seen Bluefish watch review both and when you own the org. Youll know the diff as soon as it's in the hand. Outside of that cant tell- One of my close friends got a ARF sub and I couldnt tell it was not the gen from having lunch with him. Now later when he let me hold it... I knew. The bracelet was a dead give away. The crown felt like it had sand in it and the bezel was rocking.

Well see if I change my mind with the BK V9, and Im looking foward to the Angus ARF.
Black hole effect + Markers not rounded = Instant tell and the datewindow is terrible :(

And the SEL...

Reactions: ryannkc

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
I disagree.

I find that when it comes to ceramic Rolex, the reps aren’t good enough.

Cyclops, hour markers, hands, SEL, crysta, DWl .... all make the rep look ugly compared to gen

However with certain reps, I find that the reps look just as good as gen to my eyes....but not Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SadProfessor

1/11/17
SadProfessor ,Hi
I am thinking to buy hulk. Is ARF color close or same to gen on dial and bezel?
how about DW font?

It’s good but it’s not perfect. I think all of the details are close enough for me not to worry. I think it’s the best if you don’t want to do any mods.

SadProfessor

1/11/17
Don’t forget the movement. The gen movement is miles ahead of the rep.

Yeah. Lots of money going on the movement, and I’d obviously want the gen movement over a shitty 2824 clone, but the difference for me isn’t £5k worth of difference. Not that I can afford it anyway.

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
@mech500

+1 very true but rolex is cutting the costs like nobody does. See the new deep sea blue dial with printed inlays on the case for 12k Dollar lol its an absolut joke.

Reactions: mech500

efthimis

Mythical Poster
20/6/15
I disagree.

I find that when it comes to ceramic Rolex, the reps aren’t good enough.

Cyclops, hour markers, hands, SEL, crysta, DWl .... all make the rep look ugly compared to gen

However with certain reps, I find that the reps look just as good as gen to my eyes....but not Rolex.

Agree 100%!!! No rep coming anywhere close to ceramic Rollies, Omega genuine are a dream as well..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Nivka

Drifter

Renowned Member
31/10/17
Reps will never be at the same level as gens . I think this has been established like a million times. Don't know why we keep bringing up the same topic everyday. Lol

What I find super annoying is that if I want but a gen Rolex submariner I have to pay above market . In my case it's close to 20k aud for a submariner which is absolutely absurd.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Reactions: muiramas

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
Reps will never be at the same level as gens . I think this has been established like a million times. Don't know why we keep bringing up the same topic everyday. Lol

What I find super annoying is that if I want but a gen Rolex submariner I have to pay above market . In my case it's close to 20k aud for a submariner which is absolutely absurd.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Try DavidSW on TRF. He’s much cheaper than 20k aud

Drifter

Renowned Member
31/10/17
Try DavidSW on TRF. He’s much cheaper than 20k aud

I did explore TRF and checked out David SW. It appears pricing has gone crazy for the popular models such as the hulk and Daytona-C

Hulks cost from David is 13k USD delivered, import duties and customs 15% = 15000 USD . Which equates to 21k AUD

Daytona white ceramic is currently going for 21k - 22k USD, black ceramic is close to 19kUSD

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
Usually theres a bucket load of differences between reps and gens - Rolex 6 digits are a good example. It will fool someone who doesn’t know know Rolex or have one. NWBIG is a RWI thing based on member opinions, and those who own the real deal would be unlikey to share that view.

Because you can’t see a difference does not mean that the difference is not there. A person running across a street may not see a car, but it does not mean the car is not there.

Enjoy your reps, but dont think they are nearly real.

A gen may not ‘feel’ like its worth $10k - but how could it possibly do that?! / also, welcome to the world of ‘luxury goods’. That Gucci handbag for the wife felt pretty underwhelming for £2k as well...

Reactions: 234BUDs and Nivka