• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Rep vs. Gen MIndset

Revolper

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/7/18
Wow, you’re really bad at keeping things short, are you. Then again i suspect english isn’t your mothers tongue (still better than mine).

On the content, while I largely agree with you I think it’s quite common knowledge. Don’t now why you came up with that formula, that’s kinda lame imo.

Thumbs up for contributing mate.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
All very true. I wont be stopping by TRF any day soon.

Well, you shouldn't knock them. Especially as some of them are here.

I say don't knock them, because if it were not for them Rolex, Omega, Panerai and all of these brands you like to think you have 95% of on your wrist wouldn't exist. Gen is gen - a replica, lets call it a fake - because thats what it is; a hoodwink, a deception, a pale and inferior imitation of the real thing - is a fake. Sure, they can give a lot of pleasure if you have the right mindset - I like my reps - but they're still fakes.

I don't like it when people assume they are somehow more money wise / smarter and so on than those who would shun the hobby and only buy in gen, in the same way that I don't like it when someone who only buys in gen assumes the folks here are all liars, thieves, and douchebags.

Many things in life have either a morally right or wrong side to them - its not difficult so see what side this hobby is on, many people here will agree with that.

deju

Known Member
Supporter
15/11/12
It’s just a watch don’t over think it, I love my reps as much as my gens.

They’re all just over priced trinkets in reality. Buy what you like, it’s a hobby.

I’ve found my self buying fixer upper reps and DH Gate just to have fun and excitement again. Everyone can get a bit too 1:1 and not enjoy the adventure.

Reactions: hartdoc

palaufreak

Renowned Member
7/7/16
I buy some reps for the following reasons:

1) I'm 20 years old and I'm a student.

2) There are really NWBIG watches, so why waste on them.

3) The more watches I have the happier I am.

4) I have decent gens that are attached on the photos.
f98325f357958b9c1e110b3bf99cbfa4.jpg
fa011cd642fc68bb4e7459653ccd59d3.jpg
e597cafc10d2a2c81be689465ea41ab6.jpg
4cf04a6d0d27e45dce2956dc41dd5ff9.jpg
4bd0ae911bdfb800105e084321d6a2b0.jpg
f1adf0b6c739d3f3f684f94a9737a320.jpg
c5e7ff996df3f964148fb8b3b175ab2d.jpg
5157838a8e623cd0e252e6bff3306aa1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

NoNations

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/9/18
Personally I don't like to work. I can live very well in South East Asia for less than $500 a week. If I have $10,000 I can live 6 months without working. The concept of spending huge amounts of money on possessions instead of really enjoying life is lost on me.
I get greater satisfaction buying something that looks basically the same and serves the same function and paying a fraction of the price.

Reactions: Stuessi

NoNations

14/9/18
Also, I wore a genuine Longines for 10 years almost every day. After I started travelling I stopped wearing it. In many places it isn't safe to wear even mildly expensive watches, whether it is sneakily taken off your wrist or a gun in your face. After wearing many cheap real and fake $3 Casios I'll now wear a good fake Rolex everywhere. If it gets stolen, so be it.

lolocedron

Known Member
6/9/16
For me,there are three words to describe the worth of a watch.
Price, cost and value.
A cheap watch it can be very valuable for you,and upside down, or a very expensive one can have a low cost of manufacturing.
Price: what you pay for it.
Cost: manufacturing costs.
Value: what it means for you, what it makes our feel or the story that it tells...

Enviado desde mi MotoG3 mediante Tapatalk

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
In many places it isn't safe to wear even mildly expensive watches, whether it is sneakily taken off your wrist or a gun in your face. After wearing many cheap real and fake $3 Casios I'll now wear a good fake Rolex everywhere. If it gets stolen, so be it.

I've seen this a few times - you're going to have to break it down for me:

Your rationale is you're less likely to be robbed / have a gun in your face if you're wearing a 'good fake rolex' ?

I would have said wearing that 'good fake Rolex' in such a place will get you mugged / beaten / shot just as authentically as wearing the real thing.

NoNations

14/9/18
I've seen this a few times - you're going to have to break it down for me:

Your rationale is you're less likely to be robbed / have a gun in your face if you're wearing a 'good fake rolex' ?

I would have said wearing that 'good fake Rolex' in such a place will get you mugged / beaten / shot just as authentically as wearing the real thing.

I would not be less likely to be robbed. I would care less. It really depends where you are. In South East Asia there are so many fake watches everyone would assume it's fake, but stealing something worth $10 or $10000. Money is money. Where as in Brazil, many people get shot fighting for what they have. I'm not going to die for a $500 watch. And they will shoot you for a Casio or a Rolex.

Jim.Kirk

Horology Curious
20/9/18
Wow, you’re really bad at keeping things short, are you.

On the content, while I largely agree with you I think it’s quite common knowledge. Don’t now why you came up with that formula, that’s kinda lame imo.

Thumbs up for contributing mate.

Yeah, it is kinda lame. I wasn’t trying to be all serious. I was just bringing up and sort of quantifying the feel of gen vs rep. I suppose I “poked the bear.” I’m new and it was awfully quiet, with all the new posts talking about the pros and cons of the latest Rolex. I wanted to post something different. But yeah, it was kinda lame. Lol. But I think it has sparked some interesting discussions that I’m quite enjoying. So there’s that.

Jim.Kirk

Horology Curious
20/9/18
The best reps selling for 400$ to 500$ are not even remotely comparable to a 75$ department store watch. If you say this it means ypu've never handled one or are pretty oblivious to things such as finish and quality. I've collected many watches, major and micro brands, ranging from 200$ to 900$ in price and I can definitely say that at the same price point an Omega Seamaster from VSF or a Breitling from GF beat any other watch, be it a Seiko or a microbrand. It's not even a contest. These reps are just better, and if you do your QC correctly and maybe even service the movement you'll get a piece you can keep for years.

Now see, that’s super interesting and useful information. I didn’t know that about the quality of the reps. Because of my limited exposure to them (I only have two), I assumed the quality was quite suspect. Ive read here where people buy them and they arrive not working or withhands that fell off or loose crowns. Or they leak like a sieve.

Thanks for that. I’m learning more all the time.

Rush

I'm Pretty Popular
29/5/16
CONUS
"""Or they leak like a sieve.."""

What watches are leaking? Where did you hear that?

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
Now see, that’s super interesting and useful information. I didn’t know that about the quality of the reps. Because of my limited exposure to them (I only have two), I assumed the quality was quite suspect. Ive read here where people buy them and they arrive not working or withhands that fell off or loose crowns. Or they leak like a sieve.

Thanks for that. I’m learning more all the time.

Seriously? You didn't know about the quality of the reps and read only bad stuff in this forum about them? They leak like a sieve? I guess you've either been buying cheapies or are being a troll

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
I don't think OP is trolling. I think the,'leak like a sieve' comment refers to the age old advice on the forums that you should assume a watch is not waterproof unless you have it tested. Which is totally fair comment imo.

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
I don't think OP is trolling. I think the,'leak like a sieve' comment refers to the age old advice on the forums that you should assume a watch is not waterproof unless you have it tested. Which is totally fair comment imo.

The fact that OP also keeps on mentioning that reps are not better than 75$ department store watches makes me lean towards my thesis...

Dr. Mike

Renowned Member
7/9/15
I have 5 gen Rolexes and 5 reps. Do I look at them differently? Actually, no. I'll wear a gen Rolex cutting down trees and working on my tractor and I'll wear a rep with a suit & tie.
I'm in medicine and definitely have the means to buy more gen watches, but why? My reps are 90+% spot on and because of who I am (my job) people never question "is it real?"
I used to be a snob, but why? I always notice watches and one man's Casio or Armitron might be his pride and joy. Maybe it was a gift from his children for father's day? Am I any better than him for wearing a $10,000 Rolex? Am I any worse than the guy with a $20,000 solid gold Rolex because I'm wearing a $500 replica? The answer to all is a astounding "NO."
I like watches, specifically mechanical automatic watches. I enjoy the details and intricacy of modifying the reps with gen parts. I love the thrill of the hunt finding the perfect part for a fair price.
A watch is a tool. A watch is jewelry. A watch is a statement. A watch is beauty and function regardless of who made it.
I've got such strong feelings on watches I could ramble on for days.

mui.richard

Renowned Member
16/10/14
I would not be less likely to be robbed. I would care less...

I'd let them take my gen Rolex and keep my life thank you. And no if I ever travel to such "dangerous" areas I wouldn't wear any jewelry/watch that attracts attention. It'd be stupid enough to get stabbed over a watch, even more so to get stabbed for a fake watch...

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hubertus

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
I'd let them take my gen Rolex and keep my life thank you. And no if I ever travel to such "dangerous" areas I wouldn't wear any jewelry/watch that attracts attention. It'd be stupid enough to get stabbed over a watch, even more so to get stabbed for a fake watch...

^ This. Wearing a Rolex, fake or otherwise in such an area is dumb.

NoNations

14/9/18

Probably when I am walking around Brazil I would just not wear a watch, or carry my bank card. But when driving directly to resturants or clubs I'd use the Rolex. You can't always live in fear.
But consciously or subconsciously people are more likely to put up a fight for something of higher value.
But I'd be happy walk through markets in Thailand or the back roads in Vietnam with a fake Rolex. Maybe with a NATO strap.