• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watchmaker Apprenticeship

GTingler

Horology Curious
28/6/18
My V9 Hulk has been giving me some grief with the winding mechanism so I struck up a conversation with a watchmaker with 40+ years experience. Turns out that he was interested in passing on his knowledge as the trade is almost lost. So, he is going to provide me with a bench, tools and decades of knowledge. I couldn't have gotten luckier.

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
My V9 Hulk has been giving me some grief with the winding mechanism so I struck up a conversation with a watchmaker with 40+ years experience. Turns out that he was interested in passing on his knowledge as the trade is almost lost. So, he is going to provide me with a bench, tools and decades of knowledge. I couldn't have gotten luckier.

Where are you located? Can I be part of this?

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Oh my gosh, talk about lucky! I hope you make the most of the opportunity but most importantly, enjoy it! I'm very jealous!!!

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
Good deal. Be prepared to scratch, break, and drop a lot of stuff!

It will teach you patience and the necessity of sitting back when you are frustrated.
Also may cause detail psychosis. ;)

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Mark Lovic on Watch Repair Channel has an online course - I've often toyed with the idea of signing up.

in this video he services a cloned 2824. But he has many other videos.

Fascinating stuff. But his stare kind of freaks me out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG4XhhB6xAs

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
If you have the time grub this opportunity in your life. Doesn't have to do how good watchsmith you could be ( as much as you like), it's about how much you
can learn about you, controlling your mind and your emotions.

Elkins looks like a peaceful place to do that kind of study.

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
wow, you are a very lucky man, learning from a pro...congrats m8

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
Mark Lovic on Watch Repair Channel has an online course - I've often toyed with the idea of signing up.

in this video he services a cloned 2824. But he has many other videos.

Fascinating stuff. But his stare kind of freaks me out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG4XhhB6xAs

I am too thinking to sign up his online courses. But I always wish there is someone in my area who can offer courses in person.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
You are lucky indeed. Come back here as a trusted watchsmith after you have mastered the trade! The forum needs more smiths.

I think the last thing many watchsmiths want is a bunch of forum noobs pestering them in pigeon english to fix their crap chinese fake, and then opening a paypal dispute when said crap fake isn’t fixed according to their expected timeframe or breaks again on the way back.

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
I think the last thing many watchsmiths want is a bunch of forum noobs pestering them in pigeon english to fix their crap chinese fake, and then opening a paypal dispute when said crap fake isn’t fixed according to their expected timeframe or breaks again on the way back.

True dat. But still, forum needs more TD watchsmits