• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cartier owner destroys more than £400m of watches in two years

Phil G

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/9/10
Stevenage, Hertfortshire, England
Story here.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...m-of-watches-in-two-years-amid-buyback-policy

3000.jpg

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
I wonder if that is the retail value or the actual costs of goods? My bet would be the former and if we say there is a 500% markup on watches from the manufacturer, then that's £80MM in product that was recycled with a depreciated loss of say £40MM or just over 2.2% of £1.8BN in gross revenues. But wait! This was done over two years, so using the high end of £278MM in bought back inventory, that actually (using our markup and depreciation schedule) equates to a 1.54% hit.

Reactions: Phil G

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
In the name of their work, did you believe that those watches will be destroyed? i can not.
I think that will be redirected to big dealers in cities like Astana etc.

Genera74

29/12/14
I wonder if that is the retail value or the actual costs of goods? My bet would be the former and if we say there is a 500% markup on watches from the manufacturer, then that's £80MM in product that was recycled with a depreciated loss of say £40MM or just over 2.2% of £1.8BN in gross revenues. But wait! This was done over two years, so using the high end of £278MM in bought back inventory, that actually (using our markup and depreciation schedule) equates to a 1.54% hit.

My guess it should be retail value

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
So if our guesstimations are correct, the actual loss to Richemont is little more than a rounding error.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
Destroying stock is not unusual for luxury brands as it’s seen as a way of brand protection.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-44885983

I had not heard of watch companies doing it though, sounds like they maybe got a bit greedy and flooded the Asian market a little too much.

Such a shame, I’m not a huge Cartier lover but I’d have taken a heavily reduced Santos.

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrjoe

22/8/15
I think the article said the watches were dismantled and recycled..so they arent really 'destroyed'

Reactions: freediver

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
^^ Correct — but for accounting purposes (and ultimately as a valuation and performance index of the company), they have to go somewhere on their books ...

The depreciation schedule or accrual method poses some interesting options ...

Sent from my iPhone using RWI