• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Should I be aggrieved by this purchase?

watchben

Horology Curious
13/5/18
I'm pretty new to the rep thing but I've bought a few different watches and they've mostly been pretty good. The two from ZF have been fantastic. I bought one recently that was on discount. It's still available:

https://www.intime03.co/promotions/1386-pn346le-uv-pam-346-8-days-n-ti-le-p2002.html

I'm pretty sure the pictures are actually of the KW/V6F but I can't tell for sure. But what I received is quite different and feels much more like a DHgate level watch than my other reps. The strap is bad and a different colour completely, the power reserve on the back is just stuck on and a full wind (which feels very clunky) lasts for about 10 hours. The glass also looks cheap (afaict anyway).

I know that (a) it wasn't the most expensive watch and (b) I should have asked the TD more questions about which factory it came from etc. and (c) I should have picked up the differences in QC, but for me QC involved giving the watch a once over for obvious flaws - not checking whether it was the same watch I'd scrutinised before purchase.

So my question is: is it OK for a TD to picture one thing and then sell another? Should I feel aggrieved or am I just an idiot for all my mistakes ;-) Maybe this is a reasonable price for such a watch?

https://i.imgur.com/fnJtXNw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9LlTJ7K.jpg

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Imgur links won't work mate. Use picr.me or one of the other services.

Daniel1112

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/7/18
New York, USA
Using picr.me allows us to see the images, unfortunately the links are dead and can't really put a picture to what you're saying :(

In the past though, InTime has been very good to me, fixing any issues I've had!

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Looking at your photos, it’s the correct watch. The rep strap on these are notoriously bad so no surprise there. The movement was called a “modified Shanghai” movement when t came out and is difficult to replace. The PR hand on the back is faux (non-functioning).

The “feeling” is likely because it’s a titanium watch — it is lighter than you would expect just by looking at it. The crystal looks like the one that came on the rep and the date magnification is actually pretty clear. The 10 hours is worrisome, and may just be a bad movement that is just that or could use some regulation.

I’d say you got what you were supposed to get, the weight and crappy strap are probably throwing you off. It might make sense to reach out to some watchsmiths and see if they have any experience with working on this movement.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

watchben

Horology Curious
13/5/18
Thanks for the thoughts nalomb. That helps. What made me think it was a different watch was actually that the images on intime show the power reserve marker is set low (so maybe working), where on the faux one i received it's set on the mid point.

I have ordered a new strap though which should help :)

Here are the pics using picr:
https://picr.me/image/zkluL
https://picr.me/image/zkNSK

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
watchben -- the hand can be moved manually, but doesn't move as part of the watch's functions. You can take off the caseback and move it to wherever you want it. A new strap will definitely be a nice touch! Here is mine on nubuck croc:

watchben

Horology Curious
13/5/18
Ha - I like the way you offset it against the cigar there :) I have black suede one turning up tomorrow. Brown will be next on my list.

watchben

Horology Curious
13/5/18
When I wind this watch it winds indefinitely and you can feel the spring slip and unwind itself when it gets too tight. I’m guessing this isn’t normal as it makes it very hard to wind. Tried to wind before bed. Had stopped by the time I woke up.

Does this sound broken and if so could it be fixed?

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
Just contact the dealer if you received something else compared to the pics you got from the TD.
Find a solution with the TD, if not solved you can ask the moderators to help you.

it is normal when the spring slips otherwise it would break when you wind it too tight...

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
When I wind this watch it winds indefinitely and you can feel the spring slip and unwind itself when it gets too tight. I’m guessing this isn’t normal as it makes it very hard to wind. Tried to wind before bed. Had stopped by the time I woke up.

Does this sound broken and if so could it be fixed?

Based on what I am reading on the dealer website, it's most likely a 6497 with deco plates. If this is the case then it should stop winding when fully wound, typically afyer about 40 turns of the crown. You should see roughly 45 to 48 hours of reserve if the movement is healthy. A broken or dislodged spring would explain the low power reserve and the continual winding and hearing it slip as the cluch mechanism present it automatic movements like the 7750 are virtually inaudible. It needs to see a watchsmith and most likely the spring will have to be replaced.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
This is not a decorated 6497, it was called "shangai" as nalomb mentioned before.
Visually the watch is ok, but 10 hours PR is not acceptable and this movement my be problenatic to fix if broken. Imho OP should send the watch back.

RTL2

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/9/18
Don't know about the rest of it, but if you are only getting 10 hours power on a full wind, the movement is faulty.