• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is this... fixable, or not a big issue? (yes, the HULK again)

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Yeah he PMd me this morning and have been talking about it! Said he never saw the marking

And you didn't think it necessary to point this out to anybody in this thread ?

Another name added to my List - it's yours.

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
The mark could be a flake of metal from the case that came loose during shipping. Have your watchmaker look at it. I can't tell from the pics. The enamel on dials is pretty hard, and unless that was a manufacturing defect, it's pretty hard to do that to a dial, even if you poke one with sharp tweezers.

xxtwisted26xx

Supporter
Certified
12/6/18
Apologies, I work in surgery, so been trying to squeee in messages on here, in PM, and on email to other members.

The mark isn’t a stray piece, it’s pretty flush with watch of face. I kind of want to open watch to feel it but I’ll save that for a watchmaker who knows what they’re doing.

Is that hat a big tell on a Rolex? Like a Rolex worn every day would never have the face of it damaged correct? It’s a sealed environment only Rolex would open and work on?

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
The mark could be a flake of metal from the case that came loose during shipping. Have your watchmaker look at it. I can't tell from the pics. The enamel on dials is pretty hard, and unless that was a manufacturing defect, it's pretty hard to do that to a dial, even if you poke one with sharp tweezers.

Yup, well known fact that Rolex make their dials in enamel.

xxtwisted26xx

Supporter
Certified
12/6/18
So update, after getting home I checked to make sure it can keep time (have been wearing it for 90 minutes), checked date wheel, then looked at dial again and found another nick on the face, north of the 12 marker. Straight up asking a refund for both watches I bought off him now, if not then the Hulk as with all these problems I would rather not deal with finding something else in the future from his things. Awaiting his response armandk1

phdsjain

I'm Pretty Popular
6/3/14
Being sent back to seller because he can't risk the sale of his remaining 200+ watches.

A watch in this condition ideally shouldn't have been sold IMO without a complete declaration. To say he didn't 'notice' it only reinforces intent to fleece.

Reactions: tripdog

xxtwisted26xx

Supporter
Certified
12/6/18
Im not sure how to proceed, should I return both watches and wash my hands of this? I really like the other watch, an AP in Navy i bought off him. But I havent had a chance to wear either all week - I work in surgery all week long and obviously wont be wearing watches during surgery. I would hate to have to find something else wrong with the AP down the line and have to go through all this again.

Its really a shame, besides the markings on the watch face, its a beautiful watch.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Im not sure how to proceed, should I return both watches and wash my hands of this? I really like the other watch, an AP in Navy i bought off him. But I havent had a chance to wear either all week - I work in surgery all week long and obviously wont be wearing watches during surgery. I would hate to have to find something else wrong with the AP down the line and have to go through all this again.

Its really a shame, besides the markings on the watch face, its a beautiful watch.

You need to immediately send back the watch(es) for which you have received a refund.

Reactions: occb2

xxtwisted26xx

Supporter
Certified
12/6/18
You need to immediately send back the watch(es) for which you have received a refund.

Yes im sending the Hulk back of course, im saying if i should send the other watch (hasnt refunded it yet as no response to it) too just to wash my hands of dealing with seller completely.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Yes im sending the Hulk back of course, im saying if i should send the other watch (hasnt refunded it yet as no response to it) too just to wash my hands of dealing with seller completely.
That’s up to you but as my grandmother used to say “speak now or forever hold your peace.”

xxtwisted26xx

Supporter
Certified
12/6/18
Thanks, awaiting sellers response. Just want to wash my hands of all of this and get it done.

armandk1 ?

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
Apologies, I work in surgery, so been trying to squeee in messages on here, in PM, and on email to other members.

The mark isn’t a stray piece, it’s pretty flush with watch of face. I kind of want to open watch to feel it but I’ll save that for a watchmaker who knows what they’re doing.

Is that hat a big tell on a Rolex? Like a Rolex worn every day would never have the face of it damaged correct? It’s a sealed environment only Rolex would open and work on?

Heh. No. I've seen some shoddy stuff come from Rolex service. It's not normal by any stretch, but it's certainly not unheard of. But I haven't seen a Rolex dial flake like that before.

My favorite was a big eyelash laying on the dial. Naked-eye big. Interfering with the second hand big. They work assembly-line style and very fast. Stuff gets past them sometimes.

xxtwisted26xx

Supporter
Certified
12/6/18
Have been sending him PMs no response still. Off to sleep will see if he responds tommorow.

bkg!

Manui Dat Cognitio Vires
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
17/8/13
Somewhere in your peripheral vision
Right folks. I am involved in this now. - I have seen the entire PM chain between the two involved.

armandk1 I will respond to you shortly by PM

xxtwisted26xx I am not attempting to do anything here other than be impartial, but so far this seems to me like a little buyers remorse. I am not sticking up for the seller, I do not know him and have no dogs in this fight, but I am aiming to be as impartial as possible and look at this objectively.

First and foremost, I would say that the singular picture you have posted here on page 1 to demonstrate the major defect, is pretty shitty and out of focus. As trip had commented, it could even be on the crystal from that picture. Please can you post some more pictures, here or in PM to me, of both the initial issue you spotted with the dial, and the second one with the mark near the 12 hour marker.

Objectively looking at the photo posted on P1 here, and those in the sales thread, I will point out the following things;
In this thread, the picture shows an ominous white spot that is perfectly in line between the canon pinion and the 6 minute marker of the minute track, just south of the 1 o'clock hour marker. At first I thought this was dust on my monitor, but it moved with the picture as I scrolled so I assume this is the defect that is referenced to.

The second picture of the sales thread (https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...265-rolex-hulk) casts a shadow of the minute hand over this area, but the hand has just about passed this section already, pointing (with the angle adjustment) at the 7 minute marker. The time reads 10:06:435. I would expect to see the mark in this picture, but benefit of the doubt, the tolerance is tighter than a 40 year old virgin.

The final picture on the sales thread has the minute hand now pointing between the 8 and 9 minute markers (time reads 10:08:36), and although the angle is different, I would expect that any white mark against that green dial would be glaringly obvious, but I cannot see it.

The seller has refunded the hulk and this needs to be returned ASAP, although I do want to see better pictures before hand, which you commented previously in the thread that you would post, but haven't thus far.

Regarding the AP, unless this is defective, which there does not seem to be any mention of here in this thread, and considering that it was a new watch with the plastics removed for posting the sale, I would expect no issues; you cannot expect a refund on that item. If you don't want to keep it, I would suggest listing it for sale in M2M.

Regarding the hulk, you now have the sellers watch and money. Once you have give more photos, I will need the tracking number please.

Last edited:

xxtwisted26xx

Supporter
Certified
12/6/18
Yeah like I said I am sending the HULK of course back to him. I just don’t want anything from this guy anymore. And will set his watch up for m2m. His ignoring of PMs and whole situation (you can see his PM to me saying pretty much “if I saw that I never would have sent it, oh well”. Will post more pics of it, just woke up

xxtwisted26xx

Supporter
Certified
12/6/18
Leaving house to post office in a bit, here are more pics. Couldnt do close up because phone camera kept blurring and getting out of focus

z7r6Q.jpg

z742A.jpg
https://picr.me/i/2018/09/06/z7r6Q.jpg