• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A watch can lose its power reserve?

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
I’ve got an A7750 rep that I’m pretty sure had more than 24hr power reserve.
Now I’ve left it (on the same position in my box) and it had about 6-7hr of power reserve.
This is my imagination (and it was like this from the start) or the watch lost its power reserve? And if so why? And how it can be fixed?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Couple of questions. Was it fully wound....50-70 turns of the crown? How old is it? Does it keep time well? Low power reserve indicates the need for a service. It could be anything from dirty movement, dried up oil, weak hairspring, etc. A properly functioning 7750 should have 42+ hours of power reserve.

Reactions: vcappp

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
weak hairspring ?

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
needs a good service, 6-7hrs is way too low, several causes are possible... main spring problem, normally an eta 7750 has around 40 hrs of pr.

Reactions: vcappp

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
It is a fairly new, about 5 months.
It keeps time well and all is functioning well.
So just hand it over for a service? (I'm not capable to service it myself)

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
Just remembered that I've installed gen hands. Maybe the gen hands (rg) are heavy and requires more power to move?

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
Just remembered that I've installed gen hands. Maybe the gen hands (rg) are heavy and requires more power to move?
Not a chance that's the problem.
Did you get my reply? If not, see the thread I posted here: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...54477-low-power-reserve-tip-from-a-watchmaker
Try that out & let me know how it goes. I'll help you TS the issue so you can take it to a local watchmaker with an informed idea of what's going on.
If you have to take it in, try to find an old guy, I'm unusually young in this profession at mid forties, and most of the younger guys will farm their work out. You want to talk to the man who's working on your watch. Most watchmakers could not care less if your watch is genuine or not, but he will have concerns about parts availability and your expectations.

Reactions: vcappp and csthe

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
Not a chance that's the problem.
Did you get my reply? If not, see the thread I posted here: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...54477-low-power-reserve-tip-from-a-watchmaker
Try that out & let me know how it goes. I'll help you TS the issue so you can take it to a local watchmaker with an informed idea of what's going on.
If you have to take it in, try to find an old guy, I'm unusually young in this profession at mid forties, and most of the younger guys will farm their work out. You want to talk to the man who's working on your watch. Most watchmakers could not care less if your watch is genuine or not, but he will have concerns about parts availability and your expectations.
Thanks for the advice.
I've tried to wind 70 turns, I also put it in a winder for the night and still, 6-7hrs power reserve...

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
Ok, if you fully wound it and let it run, there's definitely something wrong. Did you install the hands, or did someone else do it?
There's a good chance you're going to need a new mainspring/barrel assy. (Most of the time we just drop a new one in, if it's not available he may clean the mainspring & barrel & reinstall it.) He's unlikely to just swap the barrel without doing a full service, so be prepared for a charge. I don't know how much an Asian 7750 runs, but if that is what you have, it may be more cost effective to buy a new one and just have it installed. A 7750 service will be anywhere from 2 to 400 dollars, depending on the watchmaker.

Reactions: csthe and vcappp

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
A watchmaker installed the hands. I'm not capable enough unfortunately.
I'll advise a local watchmaker, I just wanted to come inform since I don't have a trusted watchmaker yet and he could say just about anything to me....