• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Remove pearl from cup?

XpanzerX

I'm Pretty Popular
19/8/17
So I have a replacment pearl for my SD, the old one came off, however the cup is still on the insert. I'd like to remove the pearl from this cup and install on my SD. any idea how to free the pearl from the cup?
a37bab137a1c82c1f164f31ea903845a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

XpanzerX

I'm Pretty Popular
19/8/17
How would you go about it ? If I crack the insert in screwed

XpanzerX

I'm Pretty Popular
19/8/17
How would you go about it ? If I crack the insert im screwed

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
You'll never get that 'pearl' out of the steel cup - it's Luminova and binder covered in some sort of clear coating - it'll never come out.

Usually the pearls/cups are only held in place by the double sided sticky tape they use to hold the insert in place. Have you tried to see if you can lever the cup out - use a pin or a very small bladed screw driver, see if you can 'flip' it out.
If it's not coming out you'll need to get the insert out, then press the cup out from the back.

Reactions: XpanzerX

XpanzerX

I'm Pretty Popular
19/8/17
I haven't tried yet, it's a arf SD so I worry if i crack the insert I'm screwed! As I cant source another. Ugh, I have a perfectly matched pearl just need to figure out some way to get it in

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Put some tape on the insert, right up next to the pearl, take a very small screw driver and see if you can 'flick' the cup out with the driver blade - the tape will protect the insert if you slip.

If that doesn't work, then you have no choice - bezel ring off, heat the insert up to soften the glue/tape, take the insert out, press the cup out from the back, replace everything.

XpanzerX

I'm Pretty Popular
19/8/17
The ARF bezels aren't glued or taped, they are pressed in like gen. At least from the postal I've seen where people have taken them apart
Put some tape on the insert, right up next to the pearl, take a very small screw driver and see if you can 'flick' the cup out with the driver blade - the tape will protect the insert if you slip.

If that doesn't work, then you have no choice - bezel ring off, heat the insert up to soften the glue/tape, take the insert out, press the cup out from the back, replace everything.

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
these pearls are usually glued in. carefully touch a hot soldering iron to the metal ring of the pearl you want to remove and leave it there some seconds to melt the glue.

be careful not to let the soldering iron touch the ceramic, it will leave a burn mark.

XpanzerX

I'm Pretty Popular
19/8/17
these pearls are usually glued in. carefully touch a hot soldering iron to the metal ring of the pearl you want to remove and leave it there some seconds to melt the glue.

be careful not to let the soldering iron touch the ceramic, it will leave a burn mark.
The new pearl isnt attached to ceramic insert. What if I dropped new pearl into boiling water ? Think that would work to loosen glue?

Granite

Looking Around
25/4/17
Try a piece of tape to protect the insert and use an exacto knife blade to get under the outer ring of the cup and pop it out.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
The new pearl isnt attached to ceramic insert. What if I dropped new pearl into boiling water ? Think that would work to loosen glue?

Dude, it's been explained that the pearl won't come apart. "Pearl" refers to the entire thing, the lume, the lens and the "cup" as you put it. You can not disassemble it!
When he says it's glued in he is referring to the "cup", it's glued into the bezel. Touch a soldering iron to that to loosen the glue bond.

XpanzerX

I'm Pretty Popular
19/8/17
Well damnit. That just screws my pooch. I liked the soldering iron idea lol. Dont really like the look of the epoxy lume combos I've seen tutorials on...

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
guaranteed any attempts to "pry" a pearl from the ceramic bezel will result in cracking the ceramic.

XpanzerX

I'm Pretty Popular
19/8/17
Ok, so are you saying then to take the new pearl as pictured and touch a soldering iron to the new pearl metal part. free the lume pip as you described and epoxy into the existing cup that's in the insert now ? Or to put the iron on the existing cup in the insert then try and pry ?
guaranteed any attempts to "pry" a pearl from the ceramic bezel will result in cracking the ceramic.
11a96487a71796429cb2d4bac403e380.jpg

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
you misunderstand.
you want to remove the bad broken pearl from your ceramic bezel completely using the soldering iron technique. then install your new complete pearl by gluing into the hole that you now have on the ceramic bezel.

XpanzerX

I'm Pretty Popular
19/8/17
you misunderstand.
you want to remove the bad broken pearl from your ceramic bezel completely using the soldering iron technique. then install your new complete pearl by gluing into the hole that you now have on the ceramic bezel.
That's what I thought, and what others have said, just making sure I understood as I'm dimwitted lol.

RobSe1

goes Deepsea
Supporter
Certified
23/6/17
I can share my experience. I had a ARF SD43 with a misangled insert. I ordered a spare part ceramic insert from ARF in the case i break the insert when removing....it was impossible to remove^^ i cracked 2 exact knife blades! I put the complete Bezel in the Oven!! at 70degrees to heat it up...no chance.

They are glued with a freaking epoxy glue. They will resist a nuklear strike!

Only way like said! soldering iron, small screwdriver, a lot of time and love!
Or write your TD to get a new complete bezel.