• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help me choose a watch for a black tie event

mopreport

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/10/17
I’m attending a black tie event later this fall, and my main concern is, of course, what watch to wear.

Looking at my current collection, have an IWC Portuguese, IW3714, but I rule it out due the white dial and complications.

I also have a PAM 111, which I love, and I know what you’re thinking but hear me out — with a nice black croc strap with white stitching it might just work! :)

Now, I’ve narrowed down my choices to two options:

1. Ballon Bleu 42mm black dial on black leather strap, V6F, as seen here: https://puretime.io/watch-brands/ca...exture-dial-on-black-leather-strap-a2824.html

2. IWC Portofino black dial on black leather, as seen here: https://puretime.io/portofino-autom...ial-markers-on-black-leather-strap-a2892.html

Which of the above would you say is best suited to a black tie event? What other watches would you recommend?

Sent from the RWI App

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
I would say the iwc, but I would also consider Hublot classic fusion.

Ralphy

SalesMod CodeName Duchess
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/7/15
Nebraska
I’m attending a black tie event later this fall, and my main concern is, of course, what watch to wear.

Looking at my current collection, have an IWC Portuguese, IW3714, but I rule it out due the white dial and complications.

I also have a PAM 111, which I love, and I know what you’re thinking but hear me out — with a nice black croc strap with white stitching it might just work! :)

Now, I’ve narrowed down my choices to two options:

1. Ballon Bleu 42mm black dial on black leather strap, V6F, as seen here: https://puretime.io/watch-brands/car...rap-a2824.html

2. IWC Portofino black dial on black leather, as seen here: https://puretime.io/portofino-automa...rap-a2892.html

Which of the above would you say is best suited to a black tie event? What other watches would you recommend?

Sent from the RWI App

new ARF 904L DJ in 36MM. Perfection for blacktie events.

Neuf

2/6/18
First of all: I also have a 111 and I am in love with it. Great watch, wear it in good health!

So...Black tie events.
If I recall correctly what I have learned about dress watches, they become dressier the more understated they are. I once heard someone say that the best dress watch has nothing but two hands. So I would suggest something like this Calatrava:

https://puretime.io/calatrava-autom...l-on-brown-leather-strap-a240micro-rotor.html

Just two hands. I think this should be amongst the dressiest Dress-Watches and therefore perfect for Black Tie. Oh, and I also think that dress watches should be made of precious metal if possible, so YG is also a good thing.

At least that‘s what I recall to have learned...Please correct me if wrong.

Reactions: mopreport

mopreport

14/10/17
I would suggest something like this Calatrava:

https://puretime.io/calatrava-autom...l-on-brown-leather-strap-a240micro-rotor.html

Just two hands. I think this should be amongst the dressiest Dress-Watches and therefore perfect for Black Tie. Oh, and I also think that dress watches should be made of precious metal if possible, so YG is also a good thing.

Oh.. wow. That is one gorgeous watch.

I'd get it in a heartbeat, but I'm in the habit of only buying watches I can afford in gen, and I don't see myself spending $15-20k on a PPC right now. I'd say 5-10k is the sweetspot for me right now. That also rules out the Cellini, another excellent suggestion and fantastic watch.

But that is one absolutely gorgeous timepiece.

Kdawggy

Known Member
3/4/18
ZF JLC ultrathin moonphase

Second vote for this. This was actually the watch I wore with a tux when I got married a few months ago. And the gen falls within your price bracket, too.

Definite no to anything with a bracelet, so the Datejust is out. I don't care how small the dial is or how "dressy" the watch looks, it's an absolute no-no for with black tie.

Also as for the OP, I'm not sure why white dials are out? White dials are more traditionally associated with black tie than black dials are.

Whatever you decide, just be sure and match the metal colour to that of your cufflinks and shirt studs (if wearing) - no gold watch with silver cufflinks.

Edit: I'm also in the habit of only buying reps I could conceivably afford in gen. Lurking on these forums, I was beginning to think I was the only one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nivka and minty007

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
I go to a black tie event about every month. There are no rules. I’ve worn tourbillons, Panerais, PVDed watches, black dial, white dial, blue dial (with a nice blue tux mind you), from 38mm — 47mm. Have fun!! So long as you aren’t garish or obnoxious, 99% of people will you have a Timex on anyway.

The worst part about these kind of events (weddings, fundraisers, inductions, the opera) are people who take themselves and the event too seriously. You’ll have more fun if you’re comfortable and you might even have a more interesting conversation with another attendee.

I also don’t wear socks and NEVER wear a tie that’s black, so maybe I’m the problem haha.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: Nivka

Kdawggy

Known Member
3/4/18
I also don’t wear socks and NEVER wear a tie that’s black, so maybe I’m the problem haha.

Lol. Sadly over here (Britain), there are black tie events where you wouldn't be allowed in wearing a non-black tie (specifically a bow tie). I was actually at one a few years ago where a guy thought he was being turned away for wearing a regular black neck tie, but the staff at the door (kindly? douchily?) had spare black bow tie's for him to change in to before allowing him inside.

If you don't attend black tie events (or any type of event, really) often, I'd always recommend erring on the side of being overdressed. Better to overdress and make a good impression (for anyone that does take these dress codes too seriously), than underdress and be the only one.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Lol. Sadly over here (Britain), there are black tie events where you wouldn't be allowed in wearing a non-black tie (specifically a bow tie). I was actually at one a few years ago where a guy thought he was being turned away for wearing a regular black neck tie, but the staff at the door (kindly? douchily?) had spare black bow tie's for him to change in to before allowing him inside.

If you don't attend black tie events (or any type of event, really) often, I'd always recommend erring on the side of being overdressed. Better to overdress and make a good impression (for anyone that does take these dress codes too seriously), than underdress and be the only one.

Well the exception proves the rule haha. I have been to many events like that (and the good 'ol white tie as well) where the dress code is very strict. But there's no confusion on the front end, right? I mean if its a relatively giddy gala and no one's being knighted, everyone gets it. If the event is at a venue or for a reason where formality is the watchword, it should be understood. I'd agree -- over is always better than under -- a nice scarf can be a separating accessory.

I guess my point is, which sort of event are you asking about? I maintain that so long as your watch fits under your cuffs, you are A-OK in black or white tie. Do what makes you feel best -- no one really cares.

mopreport

14/10/17
Also as for the OP, I'm not sure why white dials are out? White dials are more traditionally associated with black tie than black dials are.

Whatever you decide, just be sure and match the metal colour to that of your cufflinks and shirt studs (if wearing) - no gold watch with silver cufflinks.

Well, to my knowledge (sourced from https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/black-tie-watch/): “The standard rule of thumb is to match the face of the watch with the time of day. In other words, a white or cream dial is perfect for the office, whereas you may want to choose a black or midnight blue watch for the evening.”

However interestingly enough, over at blacktieguide.com (which is the resource you see referenced most on sartorial forums), they mention no such rule. They do mention however, as do you, to match watch case to cufflinks and studs.

Which, well, complicates matters :) My cufflinks and studs are gold, so now I’m in the market for a YG or RG dress watch under 10k in gen.

The only watch I can find matching that criteria is the Portofino as seen here https://www.intime03.co/iwc/5193-po...-dial-on-brown-leather-strap-miyota-9015.html but on a black leather strap (which the TD would hopefully be able to fix).

Sent from the RWI App

mopreport

14/10/17
I guess my point is, which sort of event are you asking about? I maintain that so long as your watch fits under your cuffs, you are A-OK in black or white tie. Do what makes you feel best -- no one really cares.

Yes, should have clarified! It’s a wedding (not mine), nobody’s getting knighted :)

Actually the more I think about it, the more I feel like putting a black croc strap on the PAM 111 and going for it. I think I can fit it under the cuff.. I think.

Sent from the RWI App