• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Failed attemp AR DJ

Lcull1

Horology Curious
4/8/18
So I received my brand new 116234 after a 3 week wait. What a beautiful watch. I had previously purchased a gen date wheel and gen hands. Well I popped the backed off pulled the movement took off the dial and inserted the dw. When putting on the gen hands they did not fit properly and the stem of the gen seconds hand is a fraction smaller then the rep. Anyhow I ended bending the cam and pinion or whatever it’s called. So I called around and found a local watch smith who would do a complete overhaul put the roulette dw in and put the hands back on. For 200$. So now another week to week in a half wait. So pissed at myself. I could have worn it a couple days first. Least now I’m forced to get the movement service because it was extremely Gritty and dirty.

Reactions: sstlrm

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
bummer. I feel your pain. I too have suffered from such watch related disorders.

Neuf

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/6/18
But hey, just like you said: At least you get the movement serviced right away, which might save you trouble in the future! :D It might actually be better to do this before you are accustomed to wearing the watch every day, so you don‘t miss it as much when it‘s gone...

Reactions: Lcull1

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
I always want to AR coat my watches DIY, but I am afraid of breaking/dropping some parts of the watch because my hands and fingers are always shaky and my eyes have gotten bad.

Lcull1

Horology Curious
4/8/18
I was doing so good, but I bent that little stem to the side so the seconds Hand wouldn’t fit. Keep in mind I have only did one small mod on a quartz invicta. Haha the watch smith said I was crazy for even attempting it, he said there’s a lot of pros that still don’t mess with automatics especially the 3135. However he did in fact say that that watch was damn near perfect he thought I was just replacing the movement and there wasn’t anything abnormal about the ARF case. The engravings between the lugs was flawless the end links bracelet everything. He also said a lot of customers replace there gen 3135 with the 3135 clone because when serviced are a really good movement. So when I get it back it will be a full overhaul with gen hands and hopefully the dw. Only thing is he won’t do any grinding or sanding to make the dw fit. So I may get stuck with the rep ARF DW. honestly I think the ARF IS a fantastic watch out of the box. I compared it right next to two other gen djs. And these little things we think are so bad. The gens are not 1000% perfect by any means. Especially Rolex. They all have flaws. We are just so picky.

Lcull1

Horology Curious
4/8/18
He said he will also do a pressure test and make sure its watertight. Also when I was taking a link out of the jubilee bracelet it even had locktite in there exactly like my gen did. Could not tell a difference at all!! I was very surprised at the quality of these particular watches. I have a few rep cases from about 8 years ago. 2 16200 and one other and the Rehaut and lug engraving is wayyyy crappier than the ARF. I’m seriously considering not even buying the gen.