• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms ZF running very fast,is there a simply adjust mechanism on the Asian 2836-2?

umirza85

12/6/15
I've had my ZF Blancpain FF for a while now, but just the other day I noticed it was running very fast (almost 1.5s to 1s).

I know this comes with the Asian 2836-2, is there a way to easily adjust the speed? With the Panerai's I can see the lever through the back, just wondering if I take off the caseback if there is a similar way to adjust the Asian 2836-2?

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
1.5s to 1s - what dat mean ?

If it's running fast as in 1 minute or so per hour, then it's either a binding hairspring or the watch is magnetised.

Reactions: rj999 and umirza85

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
I've had my ZF Blancpain FF for a while now, but just the other day I noticed it was running very fast (almost 1.5s to 1s).

I know this comes with the Asian 2836-2, is there a way to easily adjust the speed? With the Panerai's I can see the lever through the back, just wondering if I take off the caseback if there is a similar way to adjust the Asian 2836-2?

There are a few things that could be wrong, but your hairspring is probably magnetized if this happened suddenly like the posters above stated. Take it to a local watchmaker, it's literally a one second fix if it's magnetized. That's very fast, and more than you'll be able to adjust for. If not, it's probably very dry. Don't mess with the adjustment. (I'm a watchmaker)

Reactions: umirza85 and vcappp

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
There are a few things that could be wrong, but your hairspring is probably magnetized if this happened suddenly like the posters above stated. Take it to a local watchmaker, it's literally a one second fix if it's magnetized. That's very fast, and more than you'll be able to adjust for. If not, it's probably very dry. Don't mess with the adjustment. (I'm a watchmaker)

What's the best way to demagnetize it? I've seen the Lepsi app to detect a magnetized watch. Do those boxes off eBay work to demagnetize?

Reactions: umirza85

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
I haven't seen the boxes on ebay, but yeah, if they're demagnetizers they'll work. Just put the watch on it and press the button. If that doesn't work, take it to a watchmaker. If the hairspring is tangled, or it's dry you can't fix it yourself.

Edit to add: If the watchmaker isn't an AD of the watch you have he's very unlikely to care that it isn't real. We only care if we can't get parts.

Ralphy

SalesMod CodeName Duchess
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/7/15
Nebraska
What's the best way to demagnetize it? I've seen the Lepsi app to detect a magnetized watch. Do those boxes off eBay work to demagnetize?

I bought the $10 one from Amazon, they work. I had a watch running 10-15 minutes fast per hour. After demagnetization it was less than 3 minutes off an hour. Once regulated and timed now it is +/- 7 seconds per day.

Reactions: umirza85 and vcappp

umirza85

12/6/15
yodog
tripdog
amplitude
fabbrisd
Ralphy1975

Thanks for al the responses everyone, I was doing a lot of searches but most of the links to content were broken.

My watch is running something like 15mins or so fast per hour as Ralphy1975 mentioned his was, guess I will try out one of those Amazon demagnetisers, and then regulate it via the adjustment screw as yodog mentioned. Is there any working guide out there to do this correctly, or is it just adjust it slightly to "-" and keep time over an hour?

Again i appreciate all the responses!

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
The micro adjustment is the easy way to do it, but don't do it without a timeographer. Just demagnetizing it first should do the trick, don't touch the balance until you find out if demagnetizing solved the problem

umirza85

12/6/15
The micro adjustment is the easy way to do it, but don't do it without a timeographer. Just demagnetizing it first should do the trick, don't touch the balance until you find out if demagnetizing solved the problem

Thanks yodog I'll be sure to demagnetize and see where I'm at. It will take a few days to get here, then I'll report back. Hopefully that solves it, and if not I'll ask before messing about with the movement in case its something else.

Ralphy

SalesMod CodeName Duchess
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/7/15
Nebraska
Thanks yodog I'll be sure to demagnetize and see where I'm at. It will take a few days to get here, then I'll report back. Hopefully that solves it, and if not I'll ask before messing about with the movement in case its something else.

I bet it will. It is more common than you think, and good to know it when you see it. There will be no instructions with your demagnetizer, but good videos on youtube to help you do it correctly. It isn't rocket science, but the video tutorial does help.