• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A Philosopher's Replica

nycixc

Horology Curious
8/8/18
A philosopher buys two watches. The first watch is a genuine timepiece, setting the philosopher back ten thousand dollars. The second watch is a replica timepiece, setting the philosopher back five hundred dollars. The first watch ages, and is replaced with genuine aftermarket parts as it needs maintenance over time. The second watch ages, and is also replaced with genuine aftermarket parts. Eventually, both watches have each part replaced, and the cost of the aftermarket parts is equal to two thousand dollars for both the genuine and the replica.

The philosopher then posits the following arguments, whereby only one statement can be truth.
  • The genuine watch and replica watch are now both replicas
  • The genuine watch and replica watch are now both genuine
  • The genuine watch is still genuine and the replica watch is still replica
  • Two new watches exist, separate from the essence of the original two watches
Which statement do you agree with?

rolexwatchfan

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/8/13
A philosopher buys two watches. The first watch is a genuine timepiece, setting the philosopher back ten thousand dollars. The second watch is a replica timepiece, setting the philosopher back five hundred dollars. The first watch ages, and is replaced with genuine aftermarket parts as it needs maintenance over time. The second watch ages, and is also replaced with genuine aftermarket parts. Eventually, both watches have each part replaced, and the cost of the aftermarket parts is equal to two thousand dollars for both the genuine and the replica.

The philosopher then posits the following arguments, whereby only one statement can be truth.
  • The genuine watch and replica watch are now both replicas
  • The genuine watch and replica watch are now both genuine
  • The genuine watch is still genuine and the replica watch is still replica
  • Two new watches exist, separate from the essence of the original two watches
Which statement do you agree with?

There's no genuine "aftermarket" parts. Either genuine or aftermarket. In case of Genuine parts being used, the "replica" is now a "Franken" which calls for fifth choice:
The genuine watch is still genuine and the replica is now a "Franken". It means the watch is not all original - genuine parts mixed with replica or after-market parts in/on it.
Hope that will light up the tunnel.

Cromag

Renowned Member
11/8/12
Okay, Watch of Theseus, I’ll bite. There is an original relationship between the parts of each watch. By substituting a part, the relationship is changed and it is no longer the same watch. According to this standard your altered watches are, as you put it, new watches. You can continue to call it what you will while that label will suit your utility; however, when your utility of the watch, boat or axe changes (like if you want to sell it), then the relationship comes under scrutiny using different standards (such as mine) and important to the new person’s utility. This is when the item may be, as you put it, a new watch. So, I choose your fourth option.

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
you can change path but can not change change what you are born, its in your blood :D

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
A genuine watch with a serial number, record and warranty will be never be a replica. You may do thing which violate the warranty, but that does not affect your formula.

A genenstein (watch made of all genuine parts but not assembled in the manufacturer's factory with no verifying paperwork and used in this example as the extreme limit of your example) is still a replica as there is no way you can prove it is what it is nor can you compel the manufacturer to perform warranty work.

Given your qualifier of "essence" on the fourth option, that one cannot be correct -- the spirit of the watch still exists so long as comparable parts are used for repair (i.e. you don't put a white dial in a watch originally issues with a black dial).

The third option is the most correct assuming manufacturer approved and installed parts were used for the gen. No matter how many shades of replica exist, they are still replicas.

nycixc

Horology Curious
8/8/18
all of these are great responses. valid points about the replica and genuine being both frankens, etc.

the final choice is the one i’d choose personally, as the two watches are watches in essence still but are entirely new watches, separate from the originals.