• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What watch boxes are you using?

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
Yeah, I get that but I'd rather have a watch that lasted me longer than having to reset the date and time. Each to their own but I don't care much about the date and usually just set the time. I'll be wearing another watch a day or two later anyhow so I don't bother. I've had a few stems break on me so I try to only use them lightly. I don't think I've ever looked at the date on someone else's watch so I'm sure no one looks at mine. It's my own dirty little secret. If I owned a perpetual calendar I might consider a winder though.
Why do you think that if you don't wind your watch regularly it will last longer? I heard otherwise. But I didn't saw any evidence one way or the other...

Norrie

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
24/5/12
Why do you think that if you don't wind your watch regularly it will last longer? I heard otherwise. But I didn't saw any evidence one way or the other...

Not many of my watches are serviced and I don’t trust that the dirty movements won’t wear fast if put on a winder. But yes, they also run the risk of needing a service if you leave them too long without use so the oils change state, from what I’ve heard.

vcappp

I'm Pretty Popular
20/6/18
Yeah, I get that but I'd rather have a watch that lasted me longer than having to reset the date and time. Each to their own but I don't care much about the date and usually just set the time. I'll be wearing another watch a day or two later anyhow so I don't bother. I've had a few stems break on me so I try to only use them lightly. I don't think I've ever looked at the date on someone else's watch so I'm sure no one looks at mine. It's my own dirty little secret. If I owned a perpetual calendar I might consider a winder though.

also, if you use the crown too frequently to set the time then it harms the watch. isnt it? as you experienced you broke stem in the past.

so To use a winder, or not to use, that is the question. there is a dilemma.

-Use winder: damage by magnetic? unnecessary wear and tear while on winder?

VERSUS

-not use a winder: inconveniently set time again and again if you have many watches?
damage caused by using the crown too frequently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norrie

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
24/5/12
also, if you use the crown too frequently to set the time then it harms the watch. isnt it? as you experienced you broke stem in the past.

so To use a winder, or not to use, that is the question. there is a dilemma.

-Use winder: damage by magnetic? unnecessary wear and tear while on winder?

VERSUS

-not use a winder: inconveniently set time again and again if you have many watches?
damage caused by using the crown too frequently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More like a run of bad luck I think. Each time I'd used the crown and stem no more than 3-4 times before it broke.

itzik217

Known Member
17/7/18

Since joining RWI I have become addicted to this hobby. I am no longer resisting my addiction I decided to combine my other hobby of woodworking to support my purchases. The first box I made held 12, then I moved on to the 36. My 36 watch box is full. Currently, I am working on making another one that will hold 72 watches. I will be using walnut instead of plywood.

Dude!!

I'm a buyer anytime you are selling this unit or future units. I am looking for a display cabinet like that for a very long time. Good job constructing this. You should def think of making this a little side business or at least help some of us who have this sickness. I've started 2 years ago with one rep (pam 111) and today I have close to 30 (factoring the one that is on the way)...LOL

Lexx22

Known Member
20/5/18
East Coast
That wall unit is awesome. A friend of mine whose a carpenter and mechanical engineer built a unit like that in a secure safe drawer. Like the one the police use in the back of their trucks to secure firearms. It pulls out like a drawer and has biometric locks. I think it holds 80 watches and accessories.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ecy and leo6929

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
Northeast USA and Shenzhen, China
Dude!!

I'm a buyer anytime you are selling this unit or future units. I am looking for a display cabinet like that for a very long time. Good job constructing this. You should def think of making this a little side business or at least help some of us who have this sickness. I've started 2 years ago with one rep (pam 111) and today I have close to 30 (factoring the one that is on the way)...LOL

My standard answer is ...If I had to make money at my woodworking it would not be fun. My daughter is the only person that can get me to make things for her.

Reactions: Shylock Eins

itzik217

Known Member
17/7/18
My standard answer is ...If I had to make money at my woodworking it would not be fun. My daughter is the only person that can get me to make things for her.

Well, do you need another daughter??...lol.

no prob, Enjoy!

batman007

Known Member
13/2/18
i prefer let my watches (almost 30) rest a little them continious stress them in a winder. Date, moonphase etc... i don't care, so almost never set them properly

museguy

19/10/12
I use the; Tech Swiss 10 Watch Wood Finish XL Extra Large Compartments Fits 63mm Soft Cushions Glass Window, Black $59.95
I have purchased three of the boxes. I like the boxes because they have large compartments per watch.
https://www.techswiss.com/watch-box-...-window-black/

Stock Photographs:
Z6mQ11.jpg
Z6mBHv.jpg

Last edited: