• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Just received first rep, movement is very loud

charl7

Looking Around
27/5/18
The watch in question is an ARF daytona 116520 904L. I initially thought the movement was broken, but it has now been running for about half an hour and keeps time within half a minute at most (haven't checked more precisely than that). I believe the sound, which can be heard very clearly from a meter so away, is from the movement of the rotor.

Is the movement being this loud something to be expected, or should I be able to send it back? It was bought from a trusted dealer listed on this site, and it says on their website that a faulty watch can be sent back for repair within 48 hours.

Thanks in advance.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
You can hear it from a meter away ? - if it only makes the noise when you move the watch it's undoubtedly the rotor.

Not a reason to return the watch - re-calibrate your expectations, there is a reason this costs less than 5% of the genuine article.

Reactions: charl7

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
The ARF Daytona uses a Valjoux 7750 clone movement. The 7750 rotor winds the watch, and in this case it only winds it in one direction (clockwise). This means that when the rotor spins clockwise it also moves the gears that "re-charge" the watch which kind of act as a brake. But when it spins the other way (counterclockwise) it just spins freely and that is what makes it noisy. Same happens with the Miyota 9015. There's nothing to worry about, it's perfectly normal in that watch. A lot of mid-tier genuine watches use that movement (Hamilton, Certina, Tissot, Bremont, etc).

Taz71

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/6/16
Parts Unknown
Not worth the hassle or risk sending it back, have a local watchsmith take a look to see if a service will quite the movement some.

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
I had purchased an AP 15400 with miyota movement. That movement was so loud that I felt that a SWAT chopper was following me whenever I wore it, especially so in quieter confines. Sold it on m2m. But the purchaser is happy. I guess this rotor noise is subjective. I personally will never buy a rep miyota movement again.

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
Are there rep miyota movements? I thought that was miyota movements in rep watches.

charl7 a watchsmith must have an eye in every new watch gen or rep.
I can not understand what you mean by "...but it has now been running for about half an hour..." did you powered your watch using its' crown?

Last edited:

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
As far as I know, all Miyotas on reps are gen Miyota.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
The ARF Daytona uses a Valjoux 7750 clone movement. The 7750 rotor winds the watch, and in this case it only winds it in one direction (clockwise). This means that when the rotor spins clockwise it also moves the gears that "re-charge" the watch which kind of act as a brake. But when it spins the other way (counterclockwise) it just spins freely and that is what makes it noisy. Same happens with the Miyota 9015. There's nothing to worry about, it's perfectly normal in that watch. A lot of mid-tier genuine watches use that movement (Hamilton, Certina, Tissot, Bremont, etc).

????? The ARF Daytona uses a clone 4130 not a Valjoux 7750 chap .

Last edited:

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
The watch in question is an ARF daytona 116520 904L. I initially thought the movement was broken, but it has now been running for about half an hour and keeps time within half a minute at most (haven't checked more precisely than that). I believe the sound, which can be heard very clearly from a meter so away, is from the movement of the rotor.

Is the movement being this loud something to be expected, or should I be able to send it back? It was bought from a trusted dealer listed on this site, and it says on their website that a faulty watch can be sent back for repair within 48 hours.

Thanks in advance.

YOU obviously haven't done enough reading chap . This watch is known for a very loud rotor as it winds one way . However NOT every watch coming out of ARF has this problem , some members CLAIM to have received watches without a noisy rotor . Many owners swap the rotor after getting the watch ( I think for a heavier one ? ) to stop the noise . I suppose 'is the rotor quiet on this one ? ' should have been a question you asked your TD, not sure if it would have helped though .

As far as watch accuracy have you wound the watch , put the watch on , and set the time precisely ? On this forum you find most of the time when you get posts ' my watch has stopped , my watch isn't running accurately etc ' that they haven't done all or any of these things .

Last edited:

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
As far as I know, all Miyotas on reps are gen Miyota.

I thought despite being cheap to buy , that rep 9015 movements were Chinese clones and not genuine Citizen Miyotas. They do have very noisy rotors ( the reasons have been explained many times on here, one direction winding ) , though I have two reps with them in , and they are my most accurate time keeping reps.Though you can hear them from across the room LOL

Last edited:

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
The ARF has a frozen 3 & 9 7750 clone (that's how they manage to make it so thin, by removing parts of the movement). The only real clone of a Rolex 4130 caliber is the new Noob.

Eagl3

Renowned Member
2/12/16
????? The ARF Daytona uses a clone 4130 not a Valjoux 7750 chap .

It's a 7750 that's been modified to run the seconds @6. They remove the date, and hour counter. Literally the same module that the rep IWC chronos run. Because its base is a 7750, it will freely spin in one direction, meaning it will be louder.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
The ARF has a frozen 3 & 9 7750 clone (that's how they manage to make it so thin, by removing parts of the movement). The only real clone of a Rolex 4130 caliber is the new Noob.

You are correct I have just contacted someone in the know that says it is a 7750 decorated to look like a 4130 , so my apologies.

My advice stands though to the OP , you can rectify this problem by changing the rotor ( heavier? ) . I know Breezy 7 just sold one in M2M with an IWC replacement rotor on , unfortunately someone beat me to purchase .

Same with my thoughts on the rep Miyota 9015 , I wondered if they were gen movements , but was told by a senior member that they were Chinese clones .

Last edited:

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
It's a 7750 that's been modified to run the seconds @6. They remove the date, and hour counter. Literally the same module that the rep IWC chronos run. Because its base is a 7750, it will freely spin in one direction, meaning it will be louder.

Yep see my above post I' m wrong Hindi is right . Currently got a black dial ceramic Arf Daytona ordered/ held ( holding stock )|for me by a TD , awaiting payment instructions . The noisy rotor is putting me off , requested QC pics of an alternate watch , think I will go with it , and try and pick up a Daytona with a rotor change in M2M . There have been a few up for sale on here in the last few weeks .

Last edited:

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
You are correct I have just contacted someone in the know that says it is a 7750 decorated to look like a 4130 , so my apologies.

My advice stands though to the OP , you can rectify this problem by changing the rotor ( heavier? ) . I know Breezy 7 just sold one in M2M with an IWC replacement rotor on , unfortunately someone beat me to purchase .

Same with my thoughts on the rep Miyota 9015 , I wondered if they were gen movements , but was told by a senior member that they were Chinese clones .

There is no such thing as a clone Miyota, the Miyotas used in reps are gens. Your 'senior member' doesn't know if he's have a shit, a shower or a shave.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
There is no such thing as a clone Miyota, the Miyotas used in reps are gens. Your 'senior member' doesn't know if he's have a shit, a shower or a shave.
Well it is no problem to me !Being a man on considerable intelligence, i did wonder without any outside influence whether the Miyota's in rep watches are genuine . They are cheap to buy singularly , so in bulk why produce a clone ? I was advised on RWG that they were cloned 9015' s . However happy for this information to be corrected , it was as I suspected all on my little lonesome.

As stated I have two reps that have Miyota 9015 movements in , the rotor noise aside they are remarkable accurate . Far better than Citizen advised specs .

I will say for the third time , the OP didn't do enough research noisy rotors are a known thing on this watch . He could change the rotor to alleviate the problem .

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
"Elementary, my dear Watson, this MUST be a genuine Miyota" :indeed: