• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ahhh. What’s going on with my gold watch?

johndoe12

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/6/12
So this is my only gold watch that I have. It’s the HBB RG/Cer and I love it. I don’t even wear it often. I just noticed there was some kind of a discoloration that looks strange. It’s only on one spot of the watch. That area doesn’t even touch the wrist. I’m not sure what it is and he discoloration end in a slant. I put two strokes to show you guys where it ends and begins. I thought it was the light playing tricks on me at first but unfortunately it’s not. I took a second pick also without the arrows so you guys can see...

Is this what normally happens to gold plated reps??
6bc51778c8129c57b80e85f6dbdc3f8a.jpg
921886d2e556f4463f08744eacf42f2f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland
Yeah if a case hasn't been prepped 100% before it is plated then the plate will come off easy, or if you got something acidic on it like bleach.

Repworld

Mythical Poster
27/12/16
So this is my only gold watch that I have. It’s the HBB RG/Cer and I love it. I don’t even wear it often. I just noticed there was some kind of a discoloration that looks strange. It’s only on one spot of the watch. That area doesn’t even touch the wrist. I’m not sure what it is and he discoloration end in a slant. I put two strokes to show you guys where it ends and begins. I thought it was the light playing tricks on me at first but unfortunately it’s not. I took a second pick also without the arrows so you guys can see...

Is this what normally happens to gold plated reps??
6bc51778c8129c57b80e85f6dbdc3f8a.jpg
921886d2e556f4463f08744eacf42f2f.jpg

Very hard liquid chemical, you can check another side it’s normal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

johndoe12

2/6/12
Okay thanks guys. I’m so sad, only wore this out rarely during the day and mostly evenings.

Are there any options that I have to have this re-plated? The watch is amazing otherwise, keeps perfect time never any issues. I would hate to just get rid of it or have to pay for another one just because of this :(

Repworld

Mythical Poster
27/12/16
Reps need highly care like baby,water and scratches ...

johndoe12

2/6/12
Oh boy, this stinks, thanks guys.
There's definitely no option to have it re-plated or anything like that right?

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12

Yes, obviously it can be re-plated. You'll need to strip the watch down to it's bare case, if you can't do that yourself then you'll need to pay someone, then there's the cost of the re-plating etc.

So it can be done - it's just a question of cost.

There are gold plating kits available, you could look into those, if it's just for a small area then it may be more cost effective for you to do it that way even if the results aren't perfect.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
What's going on with your gold watch , is it isn't gold .LOL
That's why i only buy SS watches ( although i do have a couple of genuine gold vintage Omegas)

johndoe12

2/6/12
Lol.
Okay thanks guys. Wow what a bummer :(

Bling

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
13/3/18
Try DLC coating, works much better than conventional plating.

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
If you ever find someone that does replating service pm me!
I also would like to send a rep I have

johndoe12

2/6/12
Yea so sad. I didn’t even wear this watch often. Probably once a month over a 3 year period. The watch is absolutely flawless otherwise and looks beautiful. But now I can’t wear it. Very sad.
There’s gotta be a better way to plate/fix this. Other then spending $23,000!