Announcement

Collapse

Please Consider Supporting RWI Today!

We depend on Supporter & Patron subscriptions to pay the bills. Please consider supporting RWI TODAY, CLICK HERE for info on how to subscribe.

Announcing PICR.me , RWI's own image hosting site!
See more
See less

Marie Antoinette's Watch made by Breguet (book)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marie Antoinette's Watch made by Breguet (book)

I found the book fascinating and worth the time. It explains why we at RWI as so crazy about watches. It is much more than a book about Breguet’s life. I hope whoever chooses to read the book enjoy it. It is also on Audible. Below is the description from Audible
    tkingr

Marie Antoinette's Watch
    Adultery, Larceny, & Perpetual Motion By: John Biggs

"Marie Antoinette's Watch is a wonderful book." - William Gibson, author of Neuromancer
    Across continents and into and out of the hands of royalty, revolutionaries, smugglers, thieves, and the world's greatest tech engineers, was Marie Antoinette's watch, the "160" worth an estimated $40 million in today's dollars. Perhaps the most sought-after personal technology device of the last 200 years, the timepiece, designed by the legendary Abraham-Louis Breguet, is the launching point for a thrilling and fluidly woven set of narratives that are, in part, forbidden love story, historical document, and police procedural.

Marie Antoinette's Watch also deftly lays out the history of horology and the 18th Century engineering feats attained in Paris's answer to Silicon Valley, the Ile de la Cite, that made the watch the most intricate and prized personal device of its time - something that's come full circle today.

In the hands of Techcrunch's East Coast Editor, John Biggs, Marie Antoinette's Watch is by turns edifying and lurid, historical and utterly modern. Culminating in a heist in a Tel Aviv antiquities museum in the 1980s, Biggs tells the story of how one object can transform countries, cultures, high technology, and time itself.

Super interesting, thanks!

Comment

I posted this a long time ago. You may find it interesting.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/sho...d.php?t=302515

Sent from the RWI App

Comment

I just noticed that the you tube video is now unavailable. Let me see if I can refind it and I'll repost it.

Sent from the RWI App

Comment

Unfortunately it looks like it's not available anymore. What it was, was a BBC documentary about this watch ect. If you have access to BBC you may be able to find it. I'll continue to look for it bc as you have said it's a really good subject.

Sent from the RWI App

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Gatsby View Post
            I posted this a long time ago. You may find it interesting.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/sho...d.php?t=302515

Sent from the RWI App
            Thank you for posting. I am impressed. You tuned a POS into a very nice watch.

I also like the title of the posting 8-)
            Last edited by tkingjr; 09-07-18, 01:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Gatsby View Post
              I just noticed that the you tube video is now unavailable. Let me see if I can refind it and I'll repost it.

Sent from the RWI App
              Is this the youtube video ? it is from 2016
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-x9mOdc1l8

Comment

I remember the documentary- it was presented by an old english game show host called nicholas parsons-i think i have deleted it from sky tv box now.

Comment

I actually saw this watch in person a few weeks ago: https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/...omment-2132310

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! I've downloaded it as an audiobook and will give it a go as soon as a can, once I'm finished I'll come back and post my thoughts on it.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyboy74 View Post
                      I remember the documentary- it was presented by an old english game show host called nicholas parsons-i think i have deleted it from sky tv box now.
                      Thanks. I think the BBC has removed access to this documentary in every possible spot.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyboy74 View Post
                        Yes sir you are correct!! Don't know his name but yes he was an English dude of some sort. Was really good. If anyone finds it or gmhas it please post I think many will enjoy it.

Sent from the RWI App

Comment

Originally posted by tkingjr View Post

Thanks. I think the BBC has removed access to this documentary in every possible spot.
                          Kinda seems so right. Unfortunate.

Sent from the RWI App

Comment

Working...
                          X