• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Received two broken watches, seeking advice.

petrescualex

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/5/17
Hello everyone,

So I got an AP ROO JF v9 and a JF PAM682 form arguably the most reputable TD on this forum and they both have mechanical issues.
When manually winding the AP, I can feel the rotor spinning inside. I have to put a lot of pressure on the crown and i'm afraid that i might sheer off the teeth on the ratchet wheel. I researched this problem a little bit and it might have to do with poor lubrication of the ratcheting wheel stem or poor lubrication on all the wheels of the automatic gear train.
The PAM 682 has very very low power reserve, about 6 hours. If I take it of after wearing it all day, it will stop at around 3 AM. So i thought maybe the automatic winding mechanism doesn't work. I tried manually winding it, got a few turns on it and then the rotor started spinning when i was winding it. I can see the rotor spinning because it has a display back. I'm really worried about the horrible power reserve, i couldn't find a lot of information on this problem.
What do you guys think I should do? Is it worth sending the watches back and waiting around for two months (I'm guessing) to get them back?
Or should I take them to watch smith for repairs?
If anyone has ever had or knows about these problems, can you please let me know? I am a newbie in the watch world, any information that would help me learn more is appreciated.

Thank you!

MarksandSpencer

24/4/17
I think most would recommend you contact the TD and usually you would take it to a local watch smith and you could expect the TD to cover the costs or give you credit for future orders; it's definitely a better option than sending the watch back to China . That's usually what happens from what I've read on the forums, but someone with more experience could chime with better advice.

Reactions: mech500

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
^^ what he said. First, contact the TD, show him proof - video proof if necessary. Tell him you prefer not to send back to China, and want him to cover part of the repair costs - negotiate on the amount - it won't be 100% because he'll refuse and ask you to return the watches to him.

Reactions: johnlogan

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
I’ve had that problem where when manual winding it seemed to engage the auto wind.
You could feel the rotor spinning.

It was a quick and cheap fix, if it’s the same issue definitely not worth posting back to China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk