• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Submariner Second Hand Sweep Stops

NoExcuses

Looking Around
7/6/18
i just bought a like new Rep Submariner from a guy here on the boards and when I got it everything was ok. That night I noticed the second hand stopped. So I tapped on it and it began to move again, but continues to stop here and there. Any solution to this or does it need to be serviced? Thanks.

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
The seconds hand was probably shook out of place or bent - it is getting stuck underneath the crystal. I don't think anything is wrong with movement itself - you will need to take out the movement and press the seconds hand down or unbend the tip of the hand.

Reactions: timewalker

NoExcuses

Looking Around
7/6/18
The seconds hand was probably shook out of place or bent - it is getting stuck underneath the crystal. I don't think anything is wrong with movement itself - you will need to take out the movement and press the seconds hand down or unbend the tip of the hand.

No it just stops. If i shake it then it will start going again, but stop again after a period of time. Does it need to be manually wound?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Yes, turn the crown at least 40 turns and see how long it runs. What movement is in it?

timewalker

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/9/14
Most likely the seconds hand is out of place and there is not enough friction to keep it moving. Sounds like a simple removal of the movement and pressing on the seconds hand. When the seconds hand stops does the movement itself stops? If that were the case then maybe the hacking mechanism would be loose or broken.

gdgtman

14/6/15
I sold him the watch (it's a noob v5) and can assure it was in perfect working condition. He did not know how to wind the mechanism which only leads me to believe the watch was never wound at all.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
I sold him the watch (it's a noob v5) and can assure it was in perfect working condition. He did not know how to wind the mechanism which only leads me to believe the watch was never wound at all.

Agreed.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
No it just stops. If i shake it then it will start going again, but stop again after a period of time. Does it need to be manually wound?

Yes it needs winding, undo the screwdown crown at the first crown position give it 25 gentle winds clockwise ( upwards), if you hold up to near your ear you can hear it wind . Then set the time and date ( if it has a clone ETA movement stop the watch and wind the hands clockwise to 12 before changing date ) . Once you have set date and time to your satisfaction ,back to position one and give it 25 more gentle winds clockwise and close screwdown crown .

This is how I set all my watches genuine and reps ( I'M SURE SOMEBODY WILL TELL ME ON HERE THIS IS WRONG lol ). If your watch is still stopping after following this procedure you need someone to look at watch .Also set the date to the day before , then stop the second hand at the 12o'clock and wind the hands clockwise till the date changes ( to the correct date ) and set the time . That way you will make sure you are in the correct AM/ PM and your subby won't change date while your eating your lunchtime sandwich.

Again IF YOUR WATCH STILL STOPS , it will need someone to look at it and maybe one of the things mentioned .

Last edited:

NoExcuses

Looking Around
7/6/18
I just did the manually wind up process and its working, but will see if it stops again.

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
As it is an automatic, it needs movement so the rotor can charge the spring to built up power for the mvt to run.
When you haven't wound it by shaking the watch for 2 or 3 minutes or winding it with the crown, it will stop. When you tap it, it will maybe run for a few seconds until you put it on your wrist and it gets motion, it will run like it supposed to do...How long it runs depends on the powerreserve, normally a new watch will run 30-45 hours when wound fully.

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
Uk
Every day is a school day. Haha we were all there once

It would surprise you how many times I hear this, some people must think watches just run on air.